Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 60D - What will I miss out on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped Dual Motors when I realized VA taxes would be almost equal to 'em. I struggled with the decision for a couple days, but ultimately, my decision came down to this:

1) AWD: It's nice, and I won't argue that. I grew up in MA, driving a Jeep Cherokee sport in 4xHigh in the winter, and it was absolutely brilliant for dealing with snow. Once down here in VA, my former Mazda couldn't make it up an incline in the winter, and wound up spending Snowmageddon at the base of a hill in a snowbank. But... that's not a problem I'd have with the Tesla, even with RWD, due to the power in the motor. My area here in VA gets maybe one good snowstorm a year... and I work in IT. I'm gonna be working from home, on the couch, watching plows clear the street. I've got a privileged position; if you live in an area where snow is common, or have a job you'd have to get to regardless of weather, AWD is going to be more important to you.

2) Range/Speed: If AWD isn't the deciding factor, but "hey it's longer range and faster" - then I don't think that's a good enough motivator. We're talking about realistically the difference of 8 miles, and .3s 0-60. If that's important to you, then ok - but it's not $5000 important to me.

3) Cost: There seems to be an attitude (at least, for a lot of people I've spoken to) that "well, if you're gonna buy a Tesla, who cares how expensive it is?!". You know who cares? Me. I care a lot. I got the Tesla I can afford, that fits into my life, not the one that is overly extravagant for no reason. AWD, for the maybe once a year I'd use it, isn't worth $5000. Nor is 8 miles more range or .3s better acceleration. I don't regret dropping dual motors in the slightest.