Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 75, am I thinking about this correctly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scottsdale resident here as well, and I am going to go with the 60D. At first I was thinking the 90D just like you, but I probably only do two trips per year to Vegas, so then I considered the 70D. I used EV Trip Planner and my driving / charging time on the 60 is 5:45 vs. 5:19 on the 70D or a total of 26 minutes per trip (they don't list a 60D, so it is probably a bit less).

4 trips (2 round trip) * 3 years = 12 trips total
12 trips * 26 minutes = 312 minutes extra or 5.2 hours
$8500 / 5.2 hours = $1634 per hour that I save by buying the 60D, plus I can unlock if needed

At least that is how I made my decision.

• Informative
Reactions: DrManhattan
I've just placed an order for a 75 RWD after I deciding I don't really need to spend an additional $15K for the 90D. The 249 EPA rated miles is enough for 95% of our daily driving. For the 2-3 trips a year we would possibly take from Phoenix to SoCal or Las Vegas the additional 1 or 2 hours charging time also doesn't seem to warrant the upgrade.

Now I'm wondering if I should go further and downgrade to the 60 to save another $8500. After reading quite a bite, it seems the general consensus is that the 60 can be safely charged to 100% since it's the 75kWh battery giving 210 EPA rated miles. If the 75kWh battery should be safely charged to only 90% then we're talking 224 EPA rated miles. That comes out ot a difference of only 14 EPA rated miles for $8500.

My consternation is that if I'm going to end up wanting to unlock the 75kWh capacity later, I might as well do it now so that I can roll the cost into the financing at 1.49% instead of paying cash later.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Did you get a 60 only to unlock later for a road trip?

Gosh, picking the options for a Model S has been so difficult, I don't think I spent this much time deciding on my house!

TIA!

rahul, where are you getting 1.49%? all my tesla dealer has mentioned is 1.74, and thats for top tier credit at 78 months?

Scottsdale resident here as well, and I am going to go with the 60D. At first I was thinking the 90D just like you, but I probably only do two trips per year to Vegas, so then I considered the 70D. I used EV Trip Planner and my driving / charging time on the 60 is 5:45 vs. 5:19 on the 70D or a total of 26 minutes per trip (they don't list a 60D, so it is probably a bit less).

4 trips (2 round trip) * 3 years = 12 trips total
12 trips * 26 minutes = 312 minutes extra or 5.2 hours
$8500 / 5.2 hours = $1634 per hour that I save by buying the 60D, plus I can unlock if needed

At least that is how I made my decision.
Out of curiosity why are you going with the D?

A couple of things.

Alliant Credit Union is offering a 1.49% loan for 72 months. I got mine from them and it worked out great. They really know Tesla.

I am glad to see the discussion of the new S60's ability to not degrade with constant 100% charging since the battery is really a 75kwh.
That is the misnomer in "rated range". No one charges to 100% on a regular basis. If you let it sit after that, you will degrade range. My P85+ has a rated range of 265 miles. I NEVER charge to that level. 90% gives me about 232 miles, which is just fine. The exception of course is a road trip where I am jumping from one SC to another. But even then, I won't take the time to charge the last 10% since it takes so long. (unless I am eating a leisurely dinner) Rather add in that 10% at the next SC when it is charging at a much faster lower state of charge.

Also, 2WD is just fine for me since we don't get snow in the SF Bay Area.

This is good feedback. I plugged in a sample trip from PHX to West LA in evtripplanner.com comparing a 60kWh w/ 19" and a 85 w/ 21" (closest I think to 75 w/ 19"). Comes out to 8:29 total trip time / 3 stops vs 7:26 total trip time / 2 stops. That's not insignificant but for something that might happen 2-3x a year at most it's hard to justify the $8500.

Keep in mind a 2016 S60 will supercharge faster than discoducky's 2012 or 2013 S60. So any charge time issues will be slightly reduced with the newer pack.

A couple of things.

Alliant Credit Union is offering a 1.49% loan for 72 months. I got mine from them and it worked out great. They really know Tesla.

I am glad to see the discussion of the new S60's ability to not degrade with constant 100% charging since the battery is really a 75kwh.
That is the misnomer in "rated range". No one charges to 100% on a regular basis. If you let it sit after that, you will degrade range. My P85+ has a rated range of 265 miles. I NEVER charge to that level. 90% gives me about 232 miles, which is just fine. The exception of course is a road trip where I am jumping from one SC to another. But even then, I won't take the time to charge the last 10% since it takes so long. (unless I am eating a leisurely dinner) Rather add in that 10% at the next SC when it is charging at a much faster lower state of charge.

Also, 2WD is just fine for me since we don't get snow in the SF Bay Area.

So is it true with the new S60 we are able to charge the battery 100% all the time with no issues?.. Or is this everyone's speculation.. I read some where who got the new S60 that his factory still says 80-90%.

No one knows if the extra is at the top or bottom so charging to 100% daily could potentially lead to faster degradation. Hopefully Tesla will definitively answer this question but somehow I doubt that will happen. An analysis of the charging curve and tapering could also assist in answering this question.

Last edited:
I got an S60 currently in production. I know there's a couple others, but I hope to hear from someone about the charging specifics soon, otherwise I can hopefully report back in a week and a half or so.

We (or I) would appreciate that. Eyeballing the S60. Test drive probably next week. I know, I know, run the risk of having something follow me home... Happy EV motoring.