TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60 vs 85 vs P85 vs P85+

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jackl1956, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

The Sales Manage at Century City told me, if you want a luxury car order a P85. If you want a sports car order a P85+. I'm hoping o hear from some owners, concerning the pros and cons of each Model S.

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

See "Similar Threads" below.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's amazing that we've never discussed this before.

4. texex91

texex91 Banned

#4 texex91, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Give him a break.

I always ask--what car did you come from?

I would highly suggest either way get a P minimum.

If you came from a sports car, or like that feel P85+ is the only way to go.

If you can give up some handling and suspension, but still want fast, then the P.

If you want more of a sedan kinda feel regular 85.

I would not get a 60 due to range.

ONLY way you'll know is to go drive a P+, and your mind will be made up pretty quick :wink:

5. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Well I'm now contemplating, but the diff is a stretch financially even though I could probably manage it fine. The current config is S85, air, black leather interior, tech, no pano, 19" wheels. Now the reason I didn't even consider the P was because I had assumed it's only with 21" wheels. To my big surprise I discovered today that the P85 defaults to 19" ones. Now the air suspension is default in the P85 as is the leather. So those make up for some of the difference in pricing so that the end difference in cost is 8700 eur.

Now I did the test drive in small country roads in France close to Geneva and it was a P85+, I come from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X so ~5s 0-100km/h is what I already drive and the P85+ didn't exactly blow me away, but it was a nice and snappy car. I'd not fork over the extra 5.5k eur for the + anyway so the question comes down to weather or not to upgrade to the P85 from my S85. I've already taken the leather and air suspensions so I'm half way there. The total cost of ownership increases about 1250 eur / year (mostly due to increase in financing cost).

So long story short, should I ask Tesla to change my already confirmed S85 to P85 or not. For sure I don't want the 21" wheels because of the low tire side and damage issues (Estonian roads are mostly crap) as well as the reduced range and added noise. So the P85 with 19" is kind of a hybrid config that I'd really like to understand. Not sure if the extra ~0.5s for the 0-60 is enough to go the extra mile. Might be for re-sale value and fun factor though. Also it'd probably be one of the first P85's in Estonia that it'd definitely increase the number of people buying here I think ;)

Anyway after reading through tons of threads I'm still undecided so I fired an e-mail to one of the Tesla contacts with whom I chatted on Friday and who came through fast with the security package details to ask if there's anything else that comes extra with the P besides the upgraded inverter and the carbon fiber options. If there is extra stuff I might squeeze it... Any comments form the TMC community in my concrete case?

6. texex91

texex91 Banned

Yes, my comment is get the P--asaP.

You don't want to regret it later not having the P. If you're thinking about it now, you'll really be thinking about it when your regular 85 arrives.

7. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

I agree wholeheartedly with Tex. At a minimum I'd go with the P. I've driven now a few different ones and yes while they are all fast...the Performance series are wicked fast.

8. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

I would get the P at least or the P+. I would fork over the 8700 euro and no worry about buyer's remorse later on. WebRep

9. Mario Kadastik

Yeah, I've been thinking and thinking and computing and rationalizing and I'm now convinced I want the P85 ;) It's just 8700 afterall and if I just pay it in addition upfront, then the TCO per year is exactly the same (well insurance might be tick higher).

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

Ok, but don't come complaining later when you get a P for a loaner and say, I wish I would have gotten a P. :biggrin:

11. Mario Kadastik

Maybe you misread, I have decided to get the P85 :D

12. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Before receiving my S85 the only cars available for testing were P85 and P85+.

Only giving test-drives in Performance-models is a genius sales-pitch from Tesla, as lots of people are afraid the S85 won`t be good enough and won`t deliver the same Tesla-grin as the P85. It`s actually a bit hillarious how people in Norway run for the P85+ just to make sure they don`t make bad choices. Funny :)

Face it - the S85 is a great and serious performer. Yes, the P85 does better 0-60, but from about 40mph and upwards the difference is small! Would choose the S85 again, even though I could buy the P85+ if I wanted to. I`ve owned my S85 for two weeks now, and the performance is great (the quality and service on the other hand...).

13. texex91

texex91 Banned

Congrats on the S!

Can you expand on the highlighted text?

14. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I have a S85. Recently while the S85 was in for service, I had a P85+. Quite frankly, when I got our S85 back, I was very happy. So, I do not think that one "has" to go with the P in either the P standard or P +. 0 - 60 in a timed 5.0 seconds is fast enough for me :smile:

15. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Hey it is good to hear that from the S85 owners! I am wrestling with my own S vs. P decision. I have a test drive scheduled tonight in an S85 to settle this once and for all as my car is still sourcing and my DS tells me I am still more than a month out. Honestly I am this close to switching to a P.

Interestingly my insurance agent tells me there is no appreciable difference in insurance price between S85 and P85. That surprises me a little.

16. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

ACDriveMotor - Make sure your DS says they can change the vehicle. Mine said it was too late and I have a late oct delivery.

17. Lump

Lump Active Member

I have a S85 & very happy with the choice without any regrets, while I can afford the P+ it was difficult to justify purchasing one living in Los Angeles, between horrible traffic or law enforcement having a P+ would simply go to waist, as it is I have to find roads far from my area to have fun with my car. I had a loaner P+ for a week & while it was awesome I concluded it was going to end up getting me in too much trouble, the temptation was going to result in too many tickets or aggravated that I am stuck behind slow cars on my fun drives not to mention getting cut off by clueless drivers.

The P85+ badge on the rear bumper might have been important if I parked in a "Doctors Lot" or something but since thats never going to happen a S85 provides all the performance I can use & then some.

18. JPP

JPP Active Member

No regrets at all for me....

19. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Appreciate the support from S85 owners. It is a bit of a steep premium to pay for what I expect will in most cases be a nicer badge and a novelty for me. I suspect my friends and neighbors will be plenty wowed by an S85, and while they would be more wowed by a P85 it is hard to put that into a price. I can afford to do it just not sure I want/need to do it. That $10K would grow nicely in the right stock or fund. Anyway, my local store is giving me an S85 tonight and I will push it and sample the grin factor. If I am lucky (or firm) maybe they will let me do back to back S vs. P runs. I keep reminding myself this is a good problem to have.

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Really it depends on what kind of person you are. If you're a sports car person, get the P+, if not get the S. I have an S and have no regrets about my choice.