Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 85 vs P85 vs P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, just got back from driving an S85 vs. P85 back to back in both city and highway settings. I am super impressed with the S85! Wow, I think the difference between my ICE and S85 is far more dramatic than the difference between the S85 and P85. The latter is quite subtle and I had to really work to tease out a noticeable difference. The big thing I encountered was TC taking over on the P85 much more noticeably. You can feel the ramp and it is almost disappointing that the car is being held back. So I can completely see why you would want the + package and performance tires. Since I was not all in for a P+ and was considering S85 19" vs. P85 19" I have a lot to think about.

It never ceases to amaze me that money appears to be little object to such a large percentage of participants on this forum. It so infrequently enters into discussions of whether to add this or that option or in this thread to jump from S60 to S85 or P85 or P85+. I personally agonized over whether to get a 40 or a 60 and over every added option.

I wonder how the demographics of this forum compare to the general demographics of the universe of MS buyers. The regular TM forum does not seem to be so dollar indiscriminate for example.

ddruz - Money is always the object, at least in my world. I personally started looking at the Tesla when the 40kWh was still available, thinking I could get a Tesla for around $65K. For me $65 is a huge amount for a car as my ICE cost me $17K. As time went on I convinced myself that I would not be happy with the 40kWh and Tesla agreed as they discontinued it. With my focus set on the 60kWh I began to really contemplate putting the deposit down on the vehicle. As I began to actively configure the vehicle I began to realize I would not be happy with anything less than the range of the S85. I didn't feel l needed the power of the P85. When rationalizing it to myself I basically came to the conclusion that I was going to spend close to $80K on a 60kWh, so another $10K ($100/mo give or take) is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I labored over many budget sheets, ensuring the $100 would not be missed and had a very understanding wife that told me to get what I wanted.

It never ceases to amaze me that money appears to be little object to such a large percentage of participants on this forum. It so infrequently enters into discussions of whether to add this or that option or in this thread to jump from S60 to S85 or P85 or P85+. I personally agonized over whether to get a 40 or a 60 and over every added option.

I wonder how the demographics of this forum compare to the general demographics of the universe of MS buyers. The regular TM forum does not seem to be so dollar indiscriminate for example.
I don't jump to the same conclusion. On directed/focused forum like this, be careful not to interpret enthusiasm and "getting carried away" with "money is no object".

It can seem that way, indeed, but some of us this was a massive budgetary stretch. I have a black car, not because it was my first choice, but because the extra $750 wasn't justifiable for the blue. I had to decide on a few upgrades just to get the car in a timely fashion (air suspension and leather), but ultimately probably would not have gotten those if I could have gotten the car right way. The largest battery was a practicality issue to allow travel to the major metropolitan centers from where I live, the 60 would not have been adequate for those trips. I would have loved to get the performance, but ultimately it is purely a luxury, the acceleration of the standard is far more than anyone requires in anything resembling normal, or even spirited driving.

We're not all rich, I assure you.

It never ceases to amaze me that money appears to be little object to such a large percentage of participants on this forum. It so infrequently enters into discussions of whether to add this or that option or in this thread to jump from S60 to S85 or P85 or P85+. I personally agonized over whether to get a 40 or a 60 and over every added option. .

Would someone please pass the Grey Poupon :biggrin:

Seriously though, what I've noticed about Tesla buyers (a lot--not the majority, but a lot) have 2-3 cars in the family. Also, it's attracting a lot of high end car buyers coming out of Porsche etc. There is something for everyone. They are all great cars, but it's all person tastes AND dollars.

I think $10k to go from the S to the P is significant for at least half the people buying the car. I went with the S (although just test drove the P), and assume I will be happy when I take delivery in Nov. Quite a few choices were based on cost.

I think $10k to go from the S to the P is significant for at least half the people buying the car. I went with the S (although just test drove the P), and assume I will be happy when I take delivery in Nov. Quite a few choices were based on cost.

I just did a back to back comparison last night. The launch feel of the S vs. P is not nearly as noticeable as I would have hoped. I really expected to feel a bigger difference and fully expected that to flip me to a P. I was frankly disappointed. For those interested I compared S85 19" vs. P85 21" so I really expected the higher torque to be noticeable. I felt more acceleration limited on the P. Ultimately $10K for ~22% better acceleration (ie. very subtle) is a difficult trade to make.

I just did a back to back comparison last night. The launch feel of the S vs. P is not nearly as noticeable as I would have hoped. I really expected to feel a bigger difference and fully expected that to flip me to a P. I was frankly disappointed. For those interested I compared S85 19" vs. P85 21" so I really expected the higher torque to be noticeable. I felt more acceleration limited on the P. Ultimately $10K for ~22% better acceleration (ie. very subtle) is a difficult trade to make.

Too bad they didn't have a P+ for you to drive...nothing disappointing about it--guaranteed.

I spent a long time agonizing over every option, weighting cost/benefits/aesthetic trade offs. I've pretty much ordered the "minimum" S85 I feel I can be happy with, and it's still $91k+ after all taxes are added and rebates subtracted.

If money was not object, I would get a P85+ , nearly loaded...

Too bad they didn't have a P+ for you to drive...nothing disappointing about it--guaranteed.

Oh I don't disagree that P85+ is a sweet ride and better performer than S85. But Tex, I am curious to know if you test drove an S85 and had a different experience than I did.

I've now driven just about every configuration: twice in a P85+, now an S85, and a P85/21. I didn't do a P85/19 (what I have been considering) unfortunately because they didn't have one on hand. But unless I am missing something that isn't going to have better launch than a P85/21. Make no mistake I am a fan of acceleration - I just didn't experience the difference I wanted to see to make me part with an extra $10K. I can invest that $10K and get some serious growth.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should consider that maybe the road surface was not the best, given that I am in the NW, for a great comparison. Maybe there was some moisture in the road surface that caused the P85 to TC and limit more aggressively than the S85. If so that is unfortunate as I didn't get the comparison I wanted.

Oh I don't disagree that P85+ is a sweet ride and better performer than S85. But Tex, I am curious to know if you test drove an S85 and had a different experience than I did.

I've now driven just about every configuration: twice in a P85+, now an S85, and a P85/21. I didn't do a P85/19 (what I have been considering) unfortunately because they didn't have one on hand. But unless I am missing something that isn't going to have better launch than a P85/21. Make no mistake I am a fan of acceleration - I just didn't experience the difference I wanted to see to make me part with an extra $10K. I can invest that $10K and get some serious growth.

No you have a killer set-up and correct on launch speed. You're going to LOVE it!

For me it's about handling and suspension that comes with P+ and of course tires. Coming from a 911, that was a must.