Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an 85 order on 7-Dec. Then I thought that I also need rear seats. So cost before 7500 refund is around 96k with sales tax. I have an Odyssey which I will keep in the family. My work place is 25 miles one way. Not counting long trips, I expect that I will not need more than 150 miles in a day. I live in south Florida in Broward near Miami. I can afford 85. I need help deciding if I should finalize on 60 and save 10k. I have few more days before I must finalize. I know this topic has been discussed before. I am not looking for P version. Thanks for all the help.

Air conditioning (Florida!!) takes a bite out of your range. And as the battery ages, it will lose some range as well...between those two, I'd say stick with the 85 so you'll always be able to do your 150 mile days.

Also, if you definitely want Supercharging, it's really only an $8K difference, not a $10K difference in price. :)

Totally depends on your own needs & priorities, which is anyone's guess. If you're only basing it on range requirements, it sounds like you answered your own question, you don't need an 85. But be aware that you will lose more than just range by going with a 60, I leave it to you to do the research to know what those things are, but one that may matter to you is that supercharging is not standard on a 60, it's a $2000 add-on option.

While I am always one to promote the 60kWh as more adequate than most people think, experience has shown me that you will tend to drive the car at least 20% more than you'd expect to. It would be wise to factor that into your expected usage.

Get the 85. Better warranty. Supercharging included. Free Michelin tire upgrade. 40% bigger battery. It's also faster. WELL worth the $10k value.

Every one I have met that has a 60 regrets not getting the 85. (well, there are a few on these forums that "say" the 60 is plenty, but really they are just trying to make themselves feel better because they also regret not getting the 85).

Get the 85. Better warranty. Supercharging included. Free Michelin tire upgrade. 40% bigger battery. It's also faster. WELL worth the $10k value.

Every one I have met that has a 60 regrets not getting the 85. (well, there are a few on these forums that "say" the 60 is plenty, but really they are just trying to make themselves feel better because they also regret not getting the 85).

Sorry boss but that is a load of crap.

"Free Michelin tire upgrade" I know this is a 1K upgrade and is given free (included) with 85 kWh. If I go with 60 kWh, I will not take this upgrade. Can someone tell me, how this upgrade is useful. Like this tire has a better durability etc. Many persons say that 85 is really 7 K expensive (2 K supercharger + 1 K Michelin tire is included in 10K upgrade). I see utility of supercharger. I don't know about the tire advantages. I do appreciate all thoughtful responses here.

We LOVE our 60. I live in S Fl and the a/c doesnt make a difference. I drive all over S Fl and in 5 mos have put 14k miles on the car. My options were only Pano Roof, Leather and cargo cover, so we have one of the lower priced units. I recently was given a P85 as a loaner with all the toys. IMO I really didnt see the $40k difference. If money is no object, then spend it. If you want to be practical then figure out how many times you will drive more than 150-180 miles per day and make the decision. BTW, I think the rear seats are a real gimmick. If the kids are small enough to fit back there, the parents would be to worried about doing it, and the older ones would be sqeezed in. If you really need a family sized SUV wait for the X model. BUT we really love the car and you may just be overthinking this whole thing.

It all depends. If there was a higher option, you might here folks suggesting it. The key was when you said you could afford it. ;)
Whenever we talk about buying a Tesla Model S (or any car north of $25k) we are talking about wants, not needs.

I would rephrase the question that way. In the positive sense, ask yourself "is a 60 exactly what I want?" If yes, then move ahead without hesitation.

In the negative, ask yourself which will you regret more: spending $8k that you otherwise did not have to spend, or buying a car that is, frankly, really expensive that is anything other than what you want?

- - - Updated - - -

No regrets on the 60 here. Many regrets on picking black however.

Sorry to change the subject, but what about the black do you regret?

Hey amitb00,

Here are a few things to consider in your decision:

• How many miles do you drive a day to and from work?
    How many miles do you drive after work?
    What's the farthest point in your daily driving?
    How often will you be driving to South Beach?...lol
As one of the members mentioned, our South Florida weather will cause range drain due to the A/C. I say go with the 85 just for peace of mind and to reduce range anxiety.

No regrets about getting a 60. My daily commute (round trip) is 25 miles. I've taken one 150 mile trip with the car and had no difficulties. My options were leather interior (more durable) and air suspension (useful on country roads; I have a farm with dirt roads).

The 60 is quicker than the Porsche Cayman it replaced, plus, it can take the whole family. Other posters have remarked about wants vs. needs. You really should think in those terms. I have no need or desire to take long trips with this car, plus the Supercharger network hasn't even been built out where I live (Savannah, GA) so I've been happy with my decision.

At the end of the day, for me the only real difference comes down to trips. I have the 60 and love it. Ive had a P85 loaner when inwas in for service and didnt care for it any more than my car driving around town. The only times ive regretted not getting the 85 was when we took it on road trips. On the east coast we are still mostly fine with the suoercharger rollout, but any time you go off that 95 corridor, or want to take a detour, it becomes more of a question. (Or roadtripping in winter when its cold).

Thats not to say you cant roadtrip in the 60, it just adds some peace of mind (and a lack of need for planning) if you have the bigger battery.