Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6000+ miles/year of supercharging -- how bad for the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. We're nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Model Y long range. We live 6 months each year in Maine and 6 months in California, so we cross the country 2x/year (6000 miles/year), using superchargers of course. The rest of the time, probably another 10k miles/year, would be primarily at home charging. I've read that supercharging is harder on the battery, i.e. accelerates degradation. I've also read that most owners can expect 5% degradation the first year, and 1% degradation yearly thereafter. How much worse than that do you think I should expect given that we would be (I assume) heavier-than-average supercharger users?

Feel free to challenge my assumptions--I'm just coming up to speed on these subjects.
Thanks.

I've also read that most owners can expect 5% degradation the first year, and 1% degradation yearly thereafter.

Im not sure where you are reading that, but I dont think that applies to model 3 or Y. I suspect you are reading S/X degradation threads. Its more like 5-10% the first year or so in a 3/Y then slowing down after that.

I doubt that a cross country trip (where you are using the range right after you charge it is going to be much worse than L2 charging those same miles, especially since the fastest way to travel via supercharger is by charging in the lower band of the battery range.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’ll find out the truth soon enough because last night’s price cuts pushed us right off the fence—we pulled the trigger and ordered a Model Y LR from local inventory. It also didn’t hurt that my demo ride yesterday was super fun, and our Model 3 owning neighbors were very enthusiastic and encouraging at dinner last night.

Newbie here. We're nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Model Y long range. We live 6 months each year in Maine and 6 months in California, so we cross the country 2x/year (6000 miles/year), using superchargers of course. The rest of the time, probably another 10k miles/year, would be primarily at home charging. I've read that supercharging is harder on the battery, i.e. accelerates degradation. I've also read that most owners can expect 5% degradation the first year, and 1% degradation yearly thereafter. How much worse than that do you think I should expect given that we would be (I assume) heavier-than-average supercharger users?

Feel free to challenge my assumptions--I'm just coming up to speed on these subjects.
Thanks.
I have been wondering the same thing but from a low milage driver. I have received 10K Supercharging miles and only put 6K on my 2020 Chevy Bolt in three years. Granted, that was during the pandemic but my plan has been to "top up" weekly at the Supercharger and top up at home once in awhile. (phantom drain"