Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#609 Gets a New Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as it pained me to part with her, I've now sold #609. She has a new home in Canada with @Retiredeh. Doing the sale was a pain in the ass for both of us because he's in Canada and I'm in Washington and, if you haven't been paying attention, the Canadian border is closed to non-essential travel. For reasons that escape me, the PM of Canada and our President does not think driving to pick up a Roadster is essential travel. 😤 I mean, can you think of anything more essential than giving a Tesla Roadster a new home?

So, today I drove up to Blaine, Washington, and put the car on a flat-bed tow truck that @Retiredeh arranged, the driver drove across the border, handling all kinds of annoying, bureaucratic paperwork for a vehicle "export" from the US and "import" into Canada, then dropped the vehicle into @Retiredeh's hands just over the border.

Here's the final video of her riding off into the sunset (well, it was about noon, so pretend you see sunset)....

And did you catch that it was behind a full load of new Teslas? Thought that was a nice effect!

I'm responding to @IslandRoadster back on this thread from the 3.0 one so as not to cloud the 3.0 discussion. Yes...when A.J. showed me the new kph speedo was calibrated in kilometers I was quite taken aback. I've imported a few cars from the US 🇺🇸 and they have always stayed in miles.

Here are all the components that get changed out. The parts will be kept in safekeeping in case my son decides to part with this family heirloom one day. @IslandRoadster will have to decide if he misses it enough to be the one to repatriate it!!
20210627_083914.jpg

I'm responding to @IslandRoadster back on this thread from the 3.0 one so as not to cloud the 3.0 discussion. Yes...when A.J. showed me the new kph speedo was calibrated in kilometers I was quite taken aback. I've imported a few cars from the US 🇺🇸 and they have always stayed in miles.

Here are all the components that get changed out. The parts will be kept in safekeeping in case my son decides to part with this family heirloom one day. @IslandRoadster will have to decide if he misses it enough to be the one to repatriate it!!
View attachment 678416

I also got to keep my parts but I don't remember the black box on bottom left, not sure what that is...
Mind you, in 2013, they also replaced the VMS which they seemed to have avoided doing for you, probably saved time and money!
They have refined the process in those 8 years! :)

Reactions: IslandRoadster
The black box is the US immobilizer...the EU Canadian one works with the two key fobs you see that were also changed out. The key sequence to activate the car is different from the US immobilizer. I gather this makes ours cars more difficult to steal than the US versions.

I've read online about having to change the VMS but for some reason it wasn't an issue on 609. Apparently all they have to do is change the Country Code in the VMS to activate the daytime running lights.

I got the car into Powell street Wednesday evening for safekeeping and they started working on it at 945 Thursday morning. It was ready by 230 pm.

Yes we seem to be blessed with a great support team here out west but it may be a matter of numbers since they see one or two roadsters a month out of 20 they are famiiar with. Their veteran roadster guy has been promoted and has trained A.J. the nice young man who took care of my car. I think their manager Scott had some training in Menlo Park, has been with them a long time and knows the roadsters well.

Yes we seem to be blessed with a great support team here out west but it may be a matter of numbers since they see one or two roadsters a month out of 20 they are famiiar with. Their veteran roadster guy has been promoted and has trained A.J. the nice young man who took care of my car. I think their manager Scott had some training in Menlo Park, has been with them a long time and knows the roadsters well.

if I had had that good of support from Tesla down here I might not have sold her! 😉

Reactions: Retiredeh
The black box is the US immobilizer...the EU Canadian one works with the two key fobs you see that were also changed out. The key sequence to activate the car is different from the US immobilizer. I gather this makes ours cars more difficult to steal than the US versions.

I've read online about having to change the VMS but for some reason it wasn't an issue on 609. Apparently all they have to do is change the Country Code in the VMS to activate the daytime running lights.

I got the car into Powell street Wednesday evening for safekeeping and they started working on it at 945 Thursday morning. It was ready by 230 pm.

Congrats on landing a well cared for roadster! Interesting about the difference in key sequence. I’ve seen the key fobs for EU/Canadian and they’re identical to US. Are the fobs not reprogrammable to either NA or EU spec immobilizers? Can you give us an example on the difference in arming the car?

Reactions: Retiredeh
Thanks! @IslandRoadster is one righteous dude! I am very great full he decided to sell me the car and for all his pain and suffering getting it to me. I am looking forward to meeting him when I go down to watch the Jays beat the Mariners in August. Hopefully the border will be open by then!!!

I will take care of 609 for sure. These cars are all a piece of Tesla history.

The fobs look identical but when you turn the ignition key to on you also have to press the unlock button on the fob to activate the car otherwise it won’t go anywhere.

Thanks! @IslandRoadster is one righteous dude! I am very great full he decided to sell me the car and for all his pain and suffering getting it to me. I am looking forward to meeting him when I go down to watch the Jays beat the Mariners in August. Hopefully the border will be open by then!!!

I will take care of 609 for sure. These cars are all a piece of Tesla history.

The fobs look identical but when you turn the ignition key to on you also have to press the unlock button on the fob to activate the car otherwise it won’t go anywhere.

The only part of @Retiredeh's message I disagree with is the "Jay's beat the Mariners" comment. Not gonna happen! 😉⚾🧢

• Funny
Reactions: eHorses
I'm told the following table defines the difference in country codes. The table begs the question if it's possible to change individual settings within the country code. I was surprised to see the immobilizer in US cars is disabled

The config for Canadian vs USA cars is:

SettingUSACanada
DRLsdisabledenabled
Immobilizerdisabledenabled
Side Markersenabledenabled
Side Signalsdisableddisabled
Current (without pilot signal)15A15A
220V (without pilot signal)00
Low Voltage Currents12, 1512, 15
High Voltage Currents70, 32, 16, 40, 48, 56, 12, 64, 2470, 32, 16, 40, 48, 56, 12, 64, 24