Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D/70D upgrade to 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asked Tesla agent now but figured I would ask here.

For CPO car, I'm looking at the limited stock, mostly 2016 MS 60Ds (only seen one 70D and that went pretty quickly)
Trying to get my head around these
1) Upgrade battery software to 75D
2) Uncork the battery to 4.2s 0-60mph (for me 4.4s 0-100km)

-Can all 60D be upgraded to 75D IF it is listed as Firmware limit 60kwh & 75kwh battery?
-Will they automatically 'uncork' it if I did the upgrade or can I expect to go through similar ordeal like NetRat's post on his 2016 75D

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Personally, due to controversy on this "uncorking" issue, I would skip the 60D/70D retrofit models and go with a real manufactured 75D.

If you're looking at post mid 2016 facelift models, then all of those had the real 75kWh battery. Some were sold software locked to 60 or 70 but all of those can be unlocked (if when you buy it, it's listed as a 75). This you can of course see on the MCU screen when you take delivery so if it's not done, you can just refuse to sign anything until they unlock the battery.

Uncorking is another matter and there's no real way to make sure it is or it can be uncorked before you purchase it. Before you get to drive it. In my case I was lied to by at least 5 employees before the 2nd service center I went to, told me "of course we can uncork it, just a firmware update is needed". I guess only real way is to buy a 2017 model but I don't know exactly after which build date all started to come with the 4.2 sec 0-60 performance.

I recently bought a used September 2016 build 75d (originally a 60d)(VIN 153xxx) and made an appointment at my local Service Center to have it uncorked. After being in the Service Center for three days, they said it’s not eligible for uncorking.

Based on what I’ve read online (including that Google Sheets spreadsheet), I thought it would be eligible. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I recently bought a used September 2016 build 75d (originally a 60d)(VIN 153xxx) and made an appointment at my local Service Center to have it uncorked. After being in the Service Center for three days, they said it’s not eligible for uncorking.

Based on what I’ve read online (including that Google Sheets spreadsheet), I thought it would be eligible. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Did you ever figure out why it couldn't be uncorked?