Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D & 75D Actual Acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find anything on the internet about the 60D and 75D's actual acceleration. Tesla advertises 0-60 in 5.2, but Tesla has been conservative previously on the lower-end models. I would also be very curious to learn about the quarter mile times (and MPH) to gauge roll acceleration.

Does anyone know of actual acceleration data from a 60D/75D Model S?

Don't know about the numbers, but here in SoCal with all manner of AMGs, M cars and 911s, nobody has beaten my 75D from a light to 50 mph (within the speed limit of course!). It has much more useful and controllable torque than my Corvette C7 Z51 which either smokes the tires without the electronic nannies, or accelerates in fits and surges with traction control on. It's so smooth, that you become used to it, while shocking new passengers. We don't need no stinkin' numbers.

I can't find anything on the internet about the 60D and 75D's actual acceleration. Tesla advertises 0-60 in 5.2, but Tesla has been conservative previously on the lower-end models. I would also be very curious to learn about the quarter mile times (and MPH) to gauge roll acceleration.

I've seen some YouTube videos with someone in a 70D (which is effectively the same car) doing 0-60mph on flat Florida roads with a professional timer. He got under 5.2 seconds. Unfortunately most people aren't going to take their non-P car to the track. But rest assured 5.2 sec is easily achievable and is software limited so there is room under the Frunk for more performance ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Ernie, I have a C6 Z06, so that qualitative feedback is helpful. My Z06 supposedly does 0-60 in ~3.6, but as you mentioned, it's generally quite a bit slower in real world conditions, while a Tesla is going to be very consistent. It sounds like you are happy with it, but I'm still worried that if it traps very low 100's, like the 70D does (apparently these are very similar according to GasKilla), it will feel sluggish, especially at speed.

Passengers are always amazed by the acceleration of the 75D. They are disbelieving when I call it a "half-fast" Tesla, and the P100DL is twice as quick.

If you care more about the numbers referring to speed, get the P and bigger battery. Me, I care more about the numbers related to the dollar $ign. The 75D is fast enough to be amazing.

It's not a race car but it can beat most of them in regular driving due to speed limits. Most of the ice cars won't even give good sport at red lights.

EV have major advantages below 60mph relative to ICE cars. Above 100mph and a p100d looks mortal when racing ice supercars.

It's 4.9-ish. The instant torque and AWD means that ALL the power is available ALL the time.

My last car was 475hp RWD (modded SRT8). And compared to that car: no gear changes, instant torque, and no traction issues mean I have a lot more, safer fun. Above 60mph though the 75D really runs out of pull and feels pretty pedestrian. Any late model vette or other high hp ICE car is going to walk it. I'm totally okay with the trade off but YMMV.

Reactions: cmd_keen and Dan60D
Sorry I know this is a 60/70d thread but as a comment ...our 90D does 4.2 so not many ice cars that can match off the line! However even for a 90D...at 60/70mph+...performance ice ie. amg, M etc have a decisive advantage in gear ratios. Usually by 100mph they have caught up on well on their way to passing the T. Real world driving however, the 0-60 4.2sec is a fantastic feeling.

I owed an X5M with 555hp and while the 90D feels faster at all speed ranges, the Bimmer would definately catch up at highway speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan60D

5.0 and 13.6

Thanks. For anyone reading this, they updated the hardware in the 75D as of about mid-June 2017 to now run (roughly) the same speed as the 85D/90D. It is now advertised to run in 4.2 (which I think is accurate), and a quarter in ~12.5 @ ~108.
Yes this is great, it really puts the 75d in the class of alot of high performance cars. There are a couple of threads about it. We have established that the new car has the same 75kwh 350v battery pack sticker, so it doesn't seem to be a 400v car like the 85d 90d 100d etc. This is a good sign as I have a 60d and I'm in hope of a performance software upgrade. The new car has new hardware but that could mean anything. The old cars were using 329hp of the 518hp available from the motors so the battery seemed to be the limiting factor but obviously not now that we know it's the same 350v pack. Hopefully it's just a fuse and firmware update for the older cars.

Reactions: croman
I did the software over the air update on my Model S 60D (produced Oct 2016) to 75D in summer of 2017 when Tesla reduced the price of the upgrade from $9000 to $2000. I just took my car in for its first annual service (just hit 12,000 miles) and in addition to changing out the badge the the service invoice also indicated (as a separate line item) they upgraded the firmware to upgrade the performance to 75D. The car is NOTICEABLY faster. Although I haven't measured it yet, I'm pretty sure it went from the approx 5.2 second 0-60 advertised with the 60D to the 4.2 second 0-60 that is now advertised with the new 75D's. So to answer the question of the other users here, if you have a software limited 60D you should get increased performance / acceleration (in addition to the range increase)....After the over the air update you will obviously realize the range increase. However, you may require a service at the dealer to get a firmware update before realizing the increased acceleration.

I did the software over the air update on my Model S 60D (produced Oct 2016) to 75D in summer of 2017 when Tesla reduced the price of the upgrade from $9000 to $2000. I just took my car in for its first annual service (just hit 12,000 miles) and in addition to changing out the badge the the service invoice also indicated (as a separate line item) they upgraded the firmware to upgrade the performance to 75D. The car is NOTICEABLY faster. Although I haven't measured it yet, I'm pretty sure it went from the approx 5.2 second 0-60 advertised with the 60D to the 4.2 second 0-60 that is now advertised with the new 75D's. So to answer the question of the other users here, if you have a software limited 60D you should get increased performance / acceleration (in addition to the range increase)....After the over the air update you will obviously realize the range increase. However, you may require a service at the dealer to get a firmware update before realizing the increased acceleration.

Congrats on the free upgrade and welcome to TMC. There are, approximately, 17,000 posts here on this topic. It's been... I suppose you could say... well covered. :)

Reactions: croman and BBB4000