Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D/75D owners, do you regret not getting 90D for hp and torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered a 75d and torque / power makes a big difference to me. The X is a little slower than I'd like. 6s 0-60 is the minimum for me for an SUV and I won't buy cars >5.3 so it just barely meets the requirement (it does feel faster than equivalent SUVs because of instant torque). I really wanted the 75d to be in the 5.5-5.7 range to a least compete with an X6 or X5 35i at similar price point. The MX in 75d mode felt a little slow and sluggish to me on the test drive but I didn't really get a chance to push it.

Really wanted the X though and figured I'd load up a M3 and try to get that car under 4s.

When I test drove the MX p90d ludicrous I was not impressed. I have a MS40 and feel about the same acceleration. Ok. Ok. A little quicker but nothing like you would expect from the videos of people losing their minds. People go crazy over my accelation too. It's just in comparison to their regular V8 engine.

I have to admit though that my MX75 does not feel as fast on accelation as compared to my MS. The weight must make the difference.

In my opinion the 75D or the 60D is just fine. Especially for the savings in cost.

When I test drove the MX p90d ludicrous I was not impressed. I have a MS40 and feel about the same acceleration. Ok. Ok. A little quicker but nothing like you would expect from the videos of people losing their minds. People go crazy over my accelation too. It's just in comparison to their regular V8 engine.

I have to admit though that my MX75 does not feel as fast on accelation as compared to my MS. The weight must make the difference.

In my opinion the 75D or the 60D is just fine. Especially for the savings in cost.
I'm sorry but I don't share your assessment of the ludicrous speed upgrade. compared to my 90d the acceleration off the line is aptly named. your car is a bit slower than mine, I can't grasp how you didn't see a vast difference.

Reactions: SaintD
I'm sorry but I don't share your assessment of the ludicrous speed upgrade. compared to my 90d the acceleration off the line is aptly named. your car is a bit slower than mine, I can't grasp how you didn't see a vast difference.

The only thing I didn't do was the "launch feature". Other than that it wasn't amazing. I even double checked ludicrous was on.

Maybe they gave my MS40 ludicrous as a free upgrade!! Haha

I do notice a difference from my MS40 to my MX75. It doesn't seem to takeoff as fast.

The only thing I didn't do was the "launch feature". Other than that it wasn't amazing. I even double checked ludicrous was on.

Maybe they gave my MS40 ludicrous as a free upgrade!! Haha

I do notice a difference from my MS40 to my MX75. It doesn't seem to takeoff as fast.

What was the battery level on the P90DL, do you recall? Ludicrous is dependent on a good charge level, more so than other models. If it wasn't 90+%, that could explain it.

MS40 is supposed to have a 0-60 of 6.5 sec. MXP90DL is supposed to have a 0-60 of 3.2 sec. Based on Tesla's numbers, even if we discount the MotorTrends calculation method for the latter and add a little Tesla exaggeration to the mix, the Model X should still be somewhere in the ballpark of almost twice quicker off the line. Though, of course, that would require going up to 60.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

I'm in a MX P90DL and it makes my passengers grunt when I accelerate hard. I don't think what you experienced was correct. Some MX test drive cars have an option enabled to simulate the drive characteristics of the other configurations. The option is available in the "T" splash screen. I think the code to enable it was "PERFORMANCE" not sure if it works anymore.

• Informative
My 2 cents with a disclaimer that I have not driven the 75 or 60 of the X, but have driven their S equivalent.

You probably will be happy with the 60 or 75 as long as you haven't driven the 90D with a critical mind evaluating the power / acceleration. P90DL is in a completely different league for acceleration and handling. For me after driving the 75 and 90 back to back a couple of times realized that the 90D was worth the $10K differential both from range and drivability stand points. Being the cheap skate that I am, the $30K upgrade to P90DL seemed unwarranted for the type of driving that I do with the SUV.

The couple of road trips we have done have already proven that the 90D was a wise decision from a range anxiety stand point where we probably would have cut it too close with a 75D.

I too would seriously consider the M3 with L option for the right price tag.

We ordered a 75d and torque / power makes a big difference to me. The X is a little slower than I'd like. 6s 0-60 is the minimum for me for an SUV and I won't buy cars >5.3 so it just barely meets the requirement (it does feel faster than equivalent SUVs because of instant torque).

My how expectations have changed. The X75D is faster than both the Camaro Z28 and the Mustang GT were 20 years ago.

The battery difference between 60D/75D and 90D is not making me change the order but the additional hp and torque are. Can you really feel a huge difference in torque? If you could do it again, will you purchase 90D instead?

I think this is subjective. Some people are impressed others aren't. It also really depends IMO on what cars you've driven/experienced before. Everyone thought the P85D at the time was amazing and such but I was only semi impressed. Coming from driving cars similar in time and acceleration really makes the difference.

I've been driving a RRS SCV8 and the 90D was similar in feel so we went with that. the 60D/75D is similar to the 2014 Q7 we had, no bueno and not for us. I've had people think my CLS550 was insanely fast but it's also because they drove Hondas.

This totally depends on what is important to you. Acceleration in my X75D is great (for me) I feel that I have enough power to overtake or make the occasional yellow light, when I need to. Today was the 1st time I tried to "launch it" by flooring it from about 30 mph. And having test driven the XP90DL, I have to say it is noticeably slower to get up to 60 mph. Having said that - besides showing off, or racing, I really don't see a need for that type of acceleration in real life.
Range so far doesn't seem to be an issue for me either.

"No regurts" on my choice.

In fact, had the X60D been available at the time I ordered, I would have definitely went with that. Can always spring extra $9k later to unlock the extra 15khw, if 60D range is too restrictive even when charging to 100% every time.

We started our order with a 70 and stepped up to the 90 to speed up our delivery interval. We weren't sure at first if the additional expense for the upgraded battery was worth it but now after 4 weeks of using the car, I don't regret it for a moment. As I don't have a 75 to do a direct comparison, I have put my 90 in valet mode. My understanding is in valet mode, the X adjusts from the performance given in a 90 and adjusts down to the specs of a 80 or 75. The change in speed is quite noticeable. Having the additional battery headroom is also very good convenience to have especially if you are planning longer trips.

Reactions: Dr Doom
As I don't have a 75 to do a direct comparison, I have put my 90 in valet mode. My understanding is in valet mode, the X adjusts from the performance given in a 90 and adjusts down to the specs of a 80 or 75. The change in speed is quite noticeable.

I am not sure the valet mode is an accurate comparison. We know Performance Model X's have code enabled demo modes that simulate smaller models, but valet mode can be much slower than them I think.

I can imagine Model X 90D to be plenty fast, though. Just yesterday I was bypassed really quickly (in my 2014 Model S P85) by a Model S when joining the motorway (from a fairly low initial speed). I thought that must be a P90DL or something judging by how they went, but it actually turned out - judging from badging and exterior features - to be a 2013/2014 S85, so slower than my car (I was not flooring it but going leisurely due to traffic on my lane). With a second+ slower 0-60 of 5.4 sec compared to the 4.2 sec of my P85, it should be in the Model X 90D territory... and it sure looked like it could blow some socks off when it bypassed me. Maybe not ludicrous socks off, but mainstream socks off for sure. :)

One thing that really makes a difference in how people perceive EVs off the line, compared to even beefy ICEs, is the initial acceleration thanks to that immediate torque. A Tesla is really most impressive at that lower end, probably beating some quicker ICEs in that initial feeling, because they catch on so immediately - even if the eventual rise to 60 would not be as fast. Of course ICEs have different acceleration profiles as well, diesels and turbos catch on earlier than naturally aspirated gasoline engines, though they usually too have their own delays related to the turbo chargers.