Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D and 200 miles range does not seem possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other hand, if you live in Brentwood, commute to El Segundo, and have an unnatural attachment to the 405 during rush hour, then your practical range will be Absolutely Fabulous because Teslas do very well at 25mph.
25mph on the 405 at rush hour is quite optimistic. o_O Even in the HOA lane, 7mph to 10 is my reality:(. Living the dream in So Cal!

After 16K Miles in my S70D, the average is 329Wh. My average driving is commute at 50mph 45min not very heavy traffic. For S60D that would come to 182miles range on full charge and with a margin of 36miles I would say about 145miles on a charge.

For my X90D, the average after 5K miles of mostly highway long road trip is 349Wh. That computes to 172miles range on full charge. Keep 35miles for safety and you are down to 135miles on a full charge. That's barely enough for two days of daily commute and definitely unsuitable for road trips as superchargers are at least 150miles apart.
75kwh battery and the motors weight less then the 90D. My average after 1k miles on my X75D is 320Wh

Reactions: xkwizit
X60 is really a city car. 150 miles is definitely not enough for road tripping.

I dont generally charge to more than 200 on the display when doing SuperCharging hopping, because it's pointless.

You can definitely travel with a 200 rated limit in most places. It will just take longer to charge to than in a 60 than an 85 or 90, but it should be usable.

I dont generally charge to more than 200 on the display when doing SuperCharging hopping, because it's pointless.

You can definitely travel with a 200 rated limit in most places. It will just take longer to charge to than in a 60 than an 85 or 90, but it should be usable.

Exactly. I typically only give myself a 30 mile buffer that's never really been needed in order to make it to the next supercharger.

The 60kw in an X may be in issue in long distance travel if you have 22" wheels, driving in adverse weather with strong headwinds, traversing through mountains or towing. I'd be cautious with driving fast as it appears to draw a lot more wh/mi in the X than S.

I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same motors and same battery only limited by software so I would imagine same weight) which is 316 Wh/miles (75 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221 miles. Not sure what is going on with the 60D, maybe smaller and more efficient motors.
Almost ALL marketing specs in car industry (or any industry in general) are exaggerated in some shape or form. Horsepower, torque, weight, 0-60 mph time, top speed, MPG, EPA range etc.

If you are expecting to go 200 miles real world range on a regular basis, you definitely need 90D.

After 16K Miles in my S70D, the average is 329Wh. My average driving is commute at 50mph 45min not very heavy traffic. For S60D that would come to 182miles range on full charge and with a margin of 36miles I would say about 145miles on a charge.

For my X90D, the average after 5K miles of mostly highway long road trip is 349Wh. That computes to 172miles range on full charge. Keep 35miles for safety and you are down to 135miles on a full charge. That's barely enough for two days of daily commute and definitely unsuitable for road trips as superchargers are at least 150miles apart.

Actually very few superchargers are that far apart. Most are between 90-120 miles. Some even less than that.

I have 99,500 miles on my S85, have done extensive long distance travel. Usually only charge to 80% (now 200 mi) because its a pain to wait for the top, and charges faster at the bottom. Only on very exceptional situations have I needed to charge over 90%. This is including an average buffer of 20%

Last edited:
OK, two things. Who's doing the measuring? EPA? Combined city / freeway cycle?

I have a 90D. I can easily get 300 miles on a charge, meaning I get 240 starting at 90% and going to 10%. Oh, and I measure mine by driving for hours at a time doing 70 or less, on I-5, which is a 70 mph road where many folks want to do 85.

Since 60 is two thirds of 90, why can't a 60 get 200 miles (or 160 on 80%)? And you say "real world", and "normal" as if no one does the speed limit, when there are actually a whole bunch of people who do the speed limit *and less*. In the "real world". Plenty of charge to get 100 miles to the next charger. But I prefer being able to skip one if I want.

And I just got back from LA area, and met a whole bunch of interesting people who didn't want to pay for charging at home, but could afford to repaint their car after someone keyed the doors. They couldn't possibly get an outlet put in, because, blah, blah, and I don't mind sitting in my car for hours a week so I can save $10. There were a half dozen chargers within 50 miles of where I charged. All full, all with people waiting in line, in the 100 degree heat. Amazing.

• Love
Reactions: SageBrush
And I just got back from LA area, and met a whole bunch of interesting people who didn't want to pay for charging at home, but could afford to repaint their car after someone keyed the doors.

They couldn't possibly get an outlet put in, because, blah, blah, and I don't mind sitting in my car for hours a week so I can save $10. There were a half dozen chargers within 50 miles of where I charged.

All full, all with people waiting in line, in the 100 degree heat. Amazing.

Sad but true. I am afraid that this behavior will become the norm with the advent of the Model 3. :eek:

Sad but true. I am afraid that this behavior will become the norm with the advent of the Model 3. :eek:
Well, at least these people are willing to lose their time in exchange for buying a Tesla that help save the world ;-) They are willing to support Tesla even though they know charging at home would be impossible. Tesla need more of these people. Instead of cursing at them for taking up a supercharger spot, we should shake their hands, say thanks and appreciate them more. :)

Ahhhhh, that's where I saw it. :) Thanks.
On the Model 3 Supercharger lines: That all depends on how many will want to pay the extra $2000 or so for the ability. I think it may be a low figure since charging can be done so many other public places. Long distance driving of course would suffer time constraints. Of course if you live in a place w/o charging ability the extra $ may be a must. Here in NY we are a few years away from supercharged waiting :)

OK, two things. Who's doing the measuring? EPA? Combined city / freeway cycle?

I have a 90D. I can easily get 300 miles on a charge, meaning I get 240 starting at 90% and going to 10%. Oh, and I measure mine by driving for hours at a time doing 70 or less, on I-5, which is a 70 mph road where many folks want to do 85.

Since 60 is two thirds of 90, why can't a 60 get 200 miles (or 160 on 80%)? And you say "real world", and "normal" as if no one does the speed limit, when there are actually a whole bunch of people who do the speed limit *and less*. In the "real world". Plenty of charge to get 100 miles to the next charger. But I prefer being able to skip one if I want.

I think you are missing the fact that this is posted in the Model X forum. We are talking about whether a Model X 60D can get 200 miles, not Model S. There's no way a Model X 90D will get 300 miles of range unless you drive 45 mph.