Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D and 200 miles range does not seem possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same motors and same battery only limited by software so I would imagine same weight) which is 316 Wh/miles (75 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221 miles. Not sure what is going on with the 60D, maybe smaller and more efficient motors.

75 doesn't use 75kWh.
60 doesn't use 60kWh.
It can either be because the 75kWh has a reserved amount at the top of the battery and in 60kWh mode it doesn't, or because they actually allow the 60kWh limited version to be topped up to an amount above 60kWh, enough to give it a 200 mile rated range.

Is there anyone that has checked how much Kwh there is to be used in the X60/S60? It is possible to find the answer using OBDII HWr and Tesla Spy SW, sadly there is no X60 at least in Norway yet, but there are some S60 so in not that long we will have the answer, but just wondering if noboyd have done this already in the US?

Can anyone with a X60 comment on what their real world range is?
People here are saying they consume 320 Wh/mile for X75D after driving 1000 miles (X60D would have 320 as well since they weigh the same). And it is safe to assume 60 kwh battery is roughly 55 kwh usable. So here is the math

= 55 kwh / 320 wh/mile
= 55 x 1000 / 320
= 172 mile real world if u charge the battery to 100%

If you want to calculate it even more conservatively to account for very cold weather or even higher driving speed, use something like 360 wh/mile, then redo the math I showed you above. That is 153 miles real world for even more conservative calculation.

Last edited:
On a 60D with a 100% charge you get the benefit of regen braking. On the other batteries charged at 100% you do not get regen braking for the first few miles.I could see this kicking in an extra 1 or 2 miles on the rating vs the other batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
I just got my X 60D for a few weeks, there's no way to hit the 200mile mark for me. I drive about 30 miles a day for commute and I get about 150-160 miles per 100% charge. My avg consumption has been around 430w/hr.

But it has been more than enough for what I use it for. Will attempt a road trip next and see what happens.

First 100% charge since taking delivery. Consumption sits at 319 wh/mi. Unless the algorithm assumes we're going to get higher efficiency than that, this suggests about 64 kwh available. For $9k less than a 75kwh pack, I'd say it's a decent deal.

Attachments

• Screenshot9520161006-071615.jpg
    Screenshot9520161006-071615.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 143
First 100% charge since taking delivery. Consumption sits at 319 wh/mi. Unless the algorithm assumes we're going to get higher efficiency than that, this suggests about 64 kwh available. For $9k less than a 75kwh pack, I'd say it's a decent deal.

Don't forget there is an average loss of 23 miles per 100k mile driven. This makes the 60D even a better value as the 75kwh pack will give diminishing returns.

60kwh - 200miles rated
75kwh - 237miles rated

237-26miles after 5 years will give the 75kwh pack approximately 211 miles after 5 years while the 60kwh pack will give you 200miles over 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stasla and jbumps
I just got my X 60D for a few weeks, there's no way to hit the 200mile mark for me. I drive about 30 miles a day for commute and I get about 150-160 miles per 100% charge. My avg consumption has been around 430w/hr.

But it has been more than enough for what I use it for. Will attempt a road trip next and see what happens.
You should get better range at a constant 60-70 MPH. Starting and stopping a 5,500lb car over and over again creates a lot of heat.

My X 60D has been showing 249 mile range on a 100% charge - how did that happen? Not that I am complaining but just wondering... So after reading the forums it seems safe to charge to 100% every time since the battery is software limited? Also, how 'low' should I let the battery get to before charging? Love this car, just want to take good care of it :)

My X 60D has been showing 249 mile range on a 100% charge - how did that happen? Not that I am complaining but just wondering... So after reading the forums it seems safe to charge to 100% every time since the battery is software limited? Also, how 'low' should I let the battery get to before charging? Love this car, just want to take good care of it :)
That may be "ideal" range, not "rated" range. I don't even know what is the use of "ideal" range is considering that it's not achievable.

Thats unusual , did u upgrade to 75 kwh battery ? my 60D shows 203 miles on a 100% charge. lately after the recent software upgrade the miles reduced to 198 miles, not sure what the reason behind reduced 5 miles.