Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D and 200 miles range does not seem possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just now learning about 'rated' vs 'typical' - brain is hurting :/ I am guessing the 249 is the rated? It's the number that is popping up when I first get in the morning after a full charge. Any links to where this would be explained better and any 60D owners who's cars are also showing 249 are welcome to chime in here.

Just now learning about 'rated' vs 'typical' - brain is hurting :/ I am guessing the 249 is the rated? It's the number that is popping up when I first get in the morning after a full charge. Any links to where this would be explained better and any 60D owners who's cars are also showing 249 are welcome to chime in here.

Three ratings actually:

1. Ideal which shows super high available miles as uses a set perfect scenario estimate. I.e. Way more than rated. Can be switched on/off between rated in settings, pretty worthless number.

2. Rated which is what Tesla advertises. Still requires pretty good conditions or say use of around 325watts per mile needed to get. Higher speeds, Winter, and other factors and driving style reduce this. This is the most commonly stated rating though by default. This is the 257 rated for 90D for example before it adjust some in season and any degradation.

3. Estimated which is based fully on recent miles range used in energy app. Usually a decent amount less than rated but can be more accurate worst case to use.

I've charged it to 100% four days straight
There is no reason to charge to 100% multiple days in a row and Tesla recommends not charging to 100% unless you absolutely need those last few miles of range to make a trip possible.

Doing that may result in additional battery degradation (loss of capacity) if you let the car sit for many hours at 100% charge.

Charging to 100% and then driving within minutes of finishing the charge is less likely to result in additional battery degradation.

I know there is no reason to do charge to 100% and that is harmful to the battery. I was doing it as an experiment to see if the car indeed showed 249 miles of range consistently when 'full' and it did. Some people are saying that you can set the 60D to 100% and it will be fine as the battery is really a 75D and that it will never really reach 100% charge as per software limitations.

Reactions: LKH
After doing my first real road trip in the x60, I can confirm that 200 miles a charge is not realistic. I am using my leg from gustine SC to buttonwillow SC as my control: 150 miles all flat, no climate control, going 73 mph average. My first trip I got to buttonwillow from 100% to 11% (22 rated miles left). My return trip, same conditions, I had to stop at Harris Ranch in between because I was projected to arrive with 5% and dropping. I think the variable was strong headwind. Anyway I think realistic range is 170 miles under ideal conditions.

After doing my first real road trip in the x60, I can confirm that 200 miles a charge is not realistic. I am using my leg from gustine SC to buttonwillow SC as my control: 150 miles all flat, no climate control, going 73 mph average. My first trip I got to buttonwillow from 100% to 11% (22 rated miles left). My return trip, same conditions, I had to stop at Harris Ranch in between because I was projected to arrive with 5% and dropping. I think the variable was strong headwind. Anyway I think realistic range is 170 miles under ideal conditions.

What size wheels are you running? Take a look at the range calculator for an estimate :cool:
(Unfortunately the tool is currently only available for the Model S, not X) Model S | Tesla

upload_2016-12-19_18-59-27.png

right, i wanted to find that happy medium of being able to skip harris ranch (wife not a big fan of the smell haha) without having to drive 60 on i5. maybe i'll try to slow down to 70 next time the navi is telling me i have less than 5% buffer.

Speed, elevation and temperature kills the range pretty quick. I did a trip from San Jose to South Lake Tahoe a few weeks back and the navi requested to do 1 supercharger stop and I should end up in South Lake Tahoe with less than 20%. Never pushed the 200 mile range since there were too many variables on this trip that would have affected range. Ended up with 2 SC stops and 1 destination charge leaving me 40% left at my destination.

right, i wanted to find that happy medium of being able to skip harris ranch (wife not a big fan of the smell haha) without having to drive 60 on i5. maybe i'll try to slow down to 70 next time the navi is telling me i have less than 5% buffer.

But if you have to stop there at least the food is great! At least when we stopped there on our road trip this summer it was a nice meal and also just neat to walk around and see the battery swap station in person :)