TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60D charging time

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by spkonda, Aug 30, 2016.

1. spkonda

spkonda DriveTheFuture

I come across some posts in MS that 60D charging time is comparatively slow than the other higher kwh batteries,
    Is that true ?

2. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

Other way around, actually; the 60D is a software-limited 75D; which means unlike the 75D or 100D, the charging doesn't have to slow down as it gets “almost full” to protect the battery-life: you can charge right up to 100% at the full 100+ kW supercharger rate, which none of the rest of us can do!

(You can also always charge to 100% unlike in the non-limited cars, in which that's slightly bad for the battery.)

Pull that trigger! You'll love your 60D. (=

3. spkonda

spkonda DriveTheFuture

I hope you are right , I already pulled that trigger ;)

My Ds told me that the 60D should be charged only 80 -90% even tough it is software locked 70kwh battery. The software randomly limits the cells so we cannot 100 % charge. There is a lot of mixed information on this.

4. phigment

phigment Member

Because programmers like to purposely insert randomness into their coding. I hear it really helps solve bugs!

• Funny x 1
  5. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

your DS is not right. this has been reported multiple times that you can charge up to 100%. it's been mentioned on the model s forum boards.

• Like x 1
  6. spkonda

spkonda DriveTheFuture

I hope my DS is wrong. I have read some reviews on MS forum most of them do say ok to charge 100% .. let's hope for the better

7. hill

hill Member

Considering how many of the D's have either said to us, "iduno" or, " i'm not exactly positive - but my understanding is" the don't charge to 100% anyway thing might be taken w/ a grain of salt.

• Like x 1
  8. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

considering that we should only charge up to 80-90% for 60D from DS i wonder what their explanation is when ever I go to the mall to peek at the teslas parked and they are consistently plugged into the tesla wall charger...?

9. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

i am too curious because there is so much information out there and considering only information we can rely on is from the MS forum...and as of right now I have not seen anybody receiving their delivery of MX 60D yet...

10. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Your DS may be referring to the notification the car gives you when you charge a 75D or 90D to 100% more than 2 days in a row. I would think this is removed from the 60D interface, if not, should be.

11. mike2016

mike2016 Member

My X 60D charges around 30miles per hour with a 100amp capable wall connector, but the car is limited to 48amp.