Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D or 90D? Range at 150km/h

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I am based in Germany and I know that you guys in the US have quite a different speed limit. However, we are very used to a speed of at least 150km/h (93 miles per hour). I don´t like going slower because then you would be overtaken by everyone else...
I am in the process of deciding which model x to take. We need to go 90 miles regularly and we would like to take that ride at about 90mph without charging on the way. (in the summer and in the winter time...)
Do you guys think that is possible with the 60D. Or do I need the 90D. Or maybe you think that even the 90D can´t make that...

I appreciate your help!

Thanks
howy

I don't have much experience driving at that speed, but try inputting your trip into this site: EV Trip Planner You can adjust the "speed multiplier" to get to 93 mph average. Once you hit "route," look on the "details" tab to see the segment speed and adjust the speed multiplier to match what you think you will drive at.

Just playing around with it it seems a 60D might work, but it would be close. The site only gives options for the S, so you will want to build in some buffer since you mentioned this will be in an X. Some other members may be able to share some more knowledgeable insight based on experience.

Also, I noticed your location and am very jealous. That is all.

Hi Boourns,
thanks for the reply. Texas is great, too ;-) worked in Houston for a couple of months. Met nice people...
Anyway, maybe anybody with experience regarding Model X and driving at about 90 mph... Any US "racers" there ? ;-)

Based on this table from EV Trip Planner and Model X being about 10% less efficient than Model S, I would expect at 93 mph you will consume close to 600 Wh/mile. You would be cutting it pretty close in a 60D. Not to mention 90D will accelerate faster which is probably more important when going those speeds.

Hi Boourns,
thanks for the reply. Texas is great, too ;-) worked in Houston for a couple of months. Met nice people...
Anyway, maybe anybody with experience regarding Model X and driving at about 90 mph... Any US "racers" there ? ;-)

No problem. Wish I could help more.

If you don't get many responses here, you may want to try a regional sub-forum. There won't be many people in the U.S. with a lot of experience driving at 93 mph for sustained periods of time. That will get you thrown in jail in many states.

Hi there,

I am based in Germany and I know that you guys in the US have quite a different speed limit. However, we are very used to a speed of at least 150km/h (93 miles per hour). I don´t like going slower because then you would be overtaken by everyone else...
I am in the process of deciding which model x to take. We need to go 90 miles regularly and we would like to take that ride at about 90mph without charging on the way. (in the summer and in the winter time...)
Do you guys think that is possible with the 60D. Or do I need the 90D. Or maybe you think that even the 90D can´t make that...

I appreciate your help!

Thanks
howy
You need 90D for sure. Cold weather and high speed are the two biggest factors that kill range significantly.
Also, the 90 kwh battery supercharge faster than 75/60 kwh battery. Less charging time, more driving time.

If you can afford it, go with the 90. Keep in mind that if you start driving it a bit (or a lot) over 150km/h, the usage will go up fast. Unless this is the only trip you do and you can quick charge on both sides, the extra range will give you piece of mind.

+ What @ggnykk said

Hi there,

I appreciate your help!

Thanks
howy

To comfortably make those speeds and more, with an extra buffer, 90 kWh battery is barely good enough. Bear in mind, you probably have about 80 kWh of usage capacity. In real winter, that drops by about 15 percent or more. Also, 22 inch wheels burn through range like a V8 gas guzzler. So, your best bet is a 90D with 20 inch wheels. Even that, at the aforementioned speed, will get you less than 200 miles. Maybe 180 miles on a 90 percent charge. Good luck.

Also, I noticed your location -- Bavaria!

A famous YouTuber Bjorn Nyland can help you further if you need more clarity.