Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D Order/Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a curiosity question - is there a reason most members here don't seem to post their full VIN 'sequence' number? I'm seeing a lot of 16,5xx and am wondering if my inner naive escaped when I posted the entire sequence.
Funny, I had the same question... I was just following others...
So it caused me to go look up what the VIN attributes are all about and have put that info in the attached PDF.
Basically the last 5 (or 6) digits are just the Production Sequence. Not sure why that would be so secretive. Having the other parts of the VIN dealing with the specific car and check digit would be more important, I would think...
My production sequence (last 5) is 16630.

Attachments

• Tesla VIN Breakdown.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: jbumps
Strange that I got 1616x, because I got production pushed back to at least October.

Vin #s are not exact production order numbering. They simply are "an assignment". Someone gets a Vin # when they get them. Sometime later on, the cars are produced. This differs from other automakers who tend to assign a Vin# when the "Job" enters the painting period - when a bare frame starts to become a real car. Sometimes at Tesla, a Vin # has been given as much as 3+ months before production of those vehicles starts. There was a period in early 2014 where Hong Kong-destined cars got Vin #s in March and built in June. Those were Model S in the 37xxx and 38xxx range. Perhaps for shipping document usage - where they could setup for shipping later in the summer but knowing the Vin # early may have been important then. It has gotten a lot tighter lately with recent trends tending to 15 days or so from Vin# to production date (primarily North American cars). I see Australia customers reporting dates and they do have a few in the 41-85 day range from Vin# to production start, they seem to be the longest. Europe and Asia cars obviously are getting a Vin# visibly earlier before production starts when compared to USA cars.

Last edited:
Vin #s are not exact production order numbering. They simply are "an assignment". Someone gets a Vin # when they get them. Sometime later on, the cars are produced. This differs from other automakers who tend to assign a Vin# when the "Job" enters the painting period - when a bare frame starts to become a real car. Sometimes at Tesla, a Vin # has been given as much as 3+ months before production of those vehicles starts. There was a period in early 2014 where Hong Kong-destined cars got Vin #s in March and built in June. Those were Model S in the 37xxx and 38xxx range. Perhaps for shipping document usage - where they could setup for shipping later in the summer but knowing the Vin # early may have been important then. It has gotten a lot tighter lately with recent trends tending to 15 days or so from Vin# to production date (primarily North American cars). I see Australia customers reporting dates and they do have a few in the 41-85 day range from Vin# to production start, they seem to be the longest. Europe and Asia cars obviously are getting a Vin# visibly earlier before production starts when compared to USA cars.

Does getting a VIN mean the car will be produced before someone who hasn't gotten a VIN yet (in the same market and location)? I saw a few members who ordered after me have already received their VINs. Although I think they are mostly 6 seaters compared to my 7 seaters. Thnx.

Does getting a VIN mean the car will be produced before someone who hasn't gotten a VIN yet (in the same market and location)? I saw a few members who ordered after me have already received their VINs. Although I think they are mostly 6 seaters compared to my 7 seaters. Thnx.

No, Production is not oriented to following the Vin # issuance order dates or numerically. Even in the same markets. The Model X are not as consistent as the Model S throughput (from what I can see) so hopefully you just get it delivered by end of Q3. But given you are in CA - I would bet you see it by early Sept unless there is a short plant shutdown for retooling in August, then I'd say slippage to end of September is probable. A lot of people are ordering 60 models (both S and X) now and they need to definitely get as many higher-priced models done first before rolling to the lower-priced ones. I was chatting with an online Tesla employee yesterday on the order page and they were very interested in me looking at inventory cars. Mentioned it four times in a 12-sentence chat exchange. Most inventory are 90D and P90D and also P90DL models.

For a year end sales blitz, I would expect Tesla to have a few huge weeks of 60-model S and X production to be sent to sales locations for on-the-spot sales bursts to end the year.

Reactions: outie
60D, 6 seats, ordered 7/25, confirmed 8/2. Had the confirmation email waiting in my inbox along with the VIN ~40 min later. Taking delivery in Texas. I can say that VINs are now at 167XX.

//Tomi B.
@docBliny: Did they give you an idea or estimate of delivery date? I ordered 7/17, confirmed 7/24, got my VIN 7/31 and have been told (all along) that I can expect delivery by mid- to late-September. But the DS is telling me to finish financing (which is already approved, so I don't know what else I am supposed to do) because it needs to be ready 30 days before delivery... Scratching my head with that, since that would mean mid August at the earliest that I would need to do anything further with financing. However, several posts I have seen suggests that they are delivering some cars a week or two ahead of the "estimated" time.