TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60D owner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P85DBeast, May 21, 2015.

1. P85DBeast

P85DBeast 3 Model S!! 85D,P85D,P100D

Desires anybody in the foum own a 60D or 40kWh MS becuase I never drove the 60D and since it was not produced for a long amount out of time I just want to know if anybody owns one. And about the 40kWh MS I just need to know bumper use doe it feel powerful enough?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Don't you mean a 70D? I don't think there's such a thing as a 60D.

3. Panu

Panu Member

I think 60D was in the order page for a while. Maybe they even made a few.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I stand corrected.

5. Fiver

Fiver Member

As far as I know the 60D was never actually produced. It was on the order page, but no cars ever actually made it into production. The 40's only made up a sliver of overall MS sales.

6. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

And note that the 40 is identical to the 60, except the software limits how much of the battery you can use. It wasn't economical for Tesla to produce an actual 40kWh battery pack with the low number of orders they received, so they just made it a software thing instead. That means that in terms of performance it's identical to the 60, and the only difference is range. It also means you can upgrade to 60 if you pay Tesla the price difference, and they just flip the software switch with no hardware changes needed.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Just as a side note. Everything Mike said is correct, except the 60s also came with Supercharging hardware that just needed software enablement by paying the $2k Supercharging activation fee. The 40s did NOT come with the Supercharging hardware. So if you wanted to bump up to the 60 (via software) and then Supercharge, you would need a hardware upgrade (which I don't even know if Tesla would do). As for driving dynamics, yes, no difference between a 40 and a 60.