Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D to 75D $4500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did. I just received an email from Tesla stating that as well.

We are now offering a more affordable opportunity for Model S and Model X vehicles to upgrade to the range of a 75 kWh battery through an over–the–air software update.
As of today, Model S 60 and 60D vehicles can upgrade for $2,000, 70 and 70D for $500, and $4,500 for Model X 60D.
Enhance your driving experience by maximizing the range of your current vehicle.

I'll bite for $1,000 - $1,500

I'm just the sort of owner Tesla loves -- $4500 was low enough for me to pull the trigger. A $5000 discount over the original price seems fair.
Telsa gets this money now and gets a higher resale on my loan return. A win/win for Tesla.
I'm the same, I'll probably bite before we take a road trip this summer. I was always planning on getting the upgrade, it was just a matter of time.

Would anyone care to speculate why it costs $2,500 more to upgrade the Model X than the Model S? Because of the relative weights and aerodynamic properties, you're actually getting more range from the S upgrade than you do from the X upgrade. Seems to me it should be the same.

Tesla just believes Model X owners are more price inelastic than Model S owners.

Or they are just tying the cost to some index measured against the cost of the P75D. The 9000 -> 6500 drop corresponded to a 2500 price in the drop of a new 75D car.

Margin argument wouldn't stand though because the 75KW battery is already a sunk cost.

They'd get probably 100% activation rate at $2000. But if they get 45% (or more) at $4500 they would be up ahead that way.

Nope. It totally stands.

They make less on the X and have more headaches fixing stuff after delivery. I think they're hoping to get more on the X battery upgrade. They can always lower it a little bit later. Some people paid full price buying the larger battery pack from the get-go and some paid the full upgrade price and some are now going to pay the new lower price. I don't think they're in a hurry either way, they just need to balance out bringing in more cash with pissing off customers.

I could get a 75kw way cheaper now that I could have last year but that's kind of how it works. At least now I can upgrade to the 75kw for 500 bucks instead of 3 grand. It's super tempting, it's just five hundred bucks but I don't need it.

Can you factor a battery upgrade into an existing lease payment? I'd like to do the upgrade but I'm in the middle of a 3 year lease and don't want to pay 100% when I'm only using a % of the car. Does the increase value of the car get factored in when you return it?

Let's see if someone answers differently but I am going to assume no. It's pretty much a CC charge and an addon like window tinting, etc - all thrown away.

Would buying out the car make any sense? Then you can think about working it in.