TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

60D to 75D $4500

Discussion in 'Model X' started by GoTzillaR, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GoTzillaR

GoTzillaR Member

Upgrade drops again today when I just logged into mytesla. With a rate like this, $2000 is not too far from now.

2. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Did the Model X price drop again? Last drop from 9000 to 6500 was tied to a corresponding drop in price to the 75D.

3. outie

outie Active Member

It did. I just received an email from Tesla stating that as well.

I'll bite for $1,000 - $1,500

4. RRM998

RRM998 Member

I'm just the sort of owner Tesla loves -- $4500 was low enough for me to pull the trigger. A $5000 discount over the original price seems fair.
    Telsa gets this money now and gets a higher resale on my loan return. A win/win for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  5. martinicus

martinicus Member

I'm the same, I'll probably bite before we take a road trip this summer. I was always planning on getting the upgrade, it was just a matter of time.

6. spkonda

spkonda DriveTheFuture

I just grabbed it , 50% Is good enough for me. I am not sure if it is going to go further down in the near future.

7. chilman408

chilman408 Member

Wondering how long it takes for the upgrade to go through?

I want to upgrade right before a road trip as well...

8. RRM998

RRM998 Member

If your MX is on wifi, the upgrade takes at most hour from when you complete the transaction. I checked after 30 minutes and mine was ready.

9. spkonda

spkonda DriveTheFuture

Mine was done in less than 30 minutes

10. MBK_BKLYN

MBK_BKLYN Member

Good news. I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'm definitely in at $2000.

11. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Would anyone care to speculate why it costs $2,500 more to upgrade the Model X than the Model S? Because of the relative weights and aerodynamic properties, you're actually getting more range from the S upgrade than you do from the X upgrade. Seems to me it should be the same.

12. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Tesla just believes Model X owners are more price inelastic than Model S owners.

Or they are just tying the cost to some index measured against the cost of the P75D. The 9000 -> 6500 drop corresponded to a 2500 price in the drop of a new 75D car.

13. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I find everyone (eg electricians, PPF shops, detailers, etc.) likes to charge you more when they find out you have a Tesla Model-X. Sounds like Tesla is no different. :(

• Like x 1
  14. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

I think the margins are quite a bit lower on the X than the S.

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Margin argument wouldn't stand though because the 75KW battery is already a sunk cost.

They'd get probably 100% activation rate at $2000. But if they get 45% (or more) at $4500 they would be up ahead that way.

• Disagree x 1
  16. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Nope. It totally stands.

They make less on the X and have more headaches fixing stuff after delivery. I think they're hoping to get more on the X battery upgrade. They can always lower it a little bit later. Some people paid full price buying the larger battery pack from the get-go and some paid the full upgrade price and some are now going to pay the new lower price. I don't think they're in a hurry either way, they just need to balance out bringing in more cash with pissing off customers.

I could get a 75kw way cheaper now that I could have last year but that's kind of how it works. At least now I can upgrade to the 75kw for 500 bucks instead of 3 grand. It's super tempting, it's just five hundred bucks but I don't need it.

17. ThomascCTT

ThomascCTT Member

Can you factor a battery upgrade into an existing lease payment? I'd like to do the upgrade but I'm in the middle of a 3 year lease and don't want to pay 100% when I'm only using a % of the car. Does the increase value of the car get factored in when you return it?

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Let's see if someone answers differently but I am going to assume no. It's pretty much a CC charge and an addon like window tinting, etc - all thrown away.

Would buying out the car make any sense? Then you can think about working it in.