TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bswn1, Jun 7, 2016.

1. bswn1

bswn1 Member

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I doubt it ... the quoted performance stats match the Model S 70/70D.

3. bswn1

bswn1 Member

That's because it's a software limited 75kWh pack according to OP.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

As an investor, I am starting to worry when Tesla is giving away $4000 worth of batteries in order to generate sales.

Osborne effect from the 3?

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Doesn't offer any links to substantiate the claim. The OP now says "Submitted by deleted."

I wouldn't put much stock into this.

When I was in the army we had a saying, "If you don't hear a rumour by 10 o'clock, make up one."

• Like x 1
  6. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

The interactions in the comments make this seem like it might be true or a good deception by the Reddit poster involving multiple accounts?

I have been thinking that 240 miles of range isn't needed anymore with superchargers everywhere in California.
    If this happens I'd consider upgrading my 2013 p85 to this with autopilot.

7. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Yes, sock puppets.

8. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Doesn't make any sense, plus the OP deleted their account. Someone was trolling Telsa folks, and trolling make it over here ... very lame

• Dislike x 2
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

10. bswn1

bswn1 Member

Guess it wasn't just trolling...

11. Fusion

Fusion Member

Bright side is if you get a 60 now, you can charge it to 100% and not worry about the battery since it's a 75kw size battery.

12. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Clearly I was wrong as far as the facts are concerned regarding a 60, but it did seem suspicious that someone would make this claim then delete their account

13. Lawtq

Lawtq Member

Lol

14. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

I called this with the release of the Model 3, install larger batteries and have the client decide if they want to pay more to have a bigger range or not.
    My question is how does the new 60 compare to the oldish 60? is the motor stronger?

15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#15 S4WRXTTCS, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    I think Tesla is struggling with what to do when the battery cost are rapidly falling. If you come out with a car that has a bigger battery then it has a huge impact on the values of the older models.

So instead you create a lower market while allowing that lower market to upgrade. With the 60 there is the potential for up to $12K in profit to be taken at a later date. Profit that eventually will likely be had. Remember what they did to the 40. Where they automatically updated it to a 60 when it went for sale as a CPO.

What I find funny is the 60 was never that popular. Most went with a bigger battery, and they stopped making the 60.

But, maybe because of the Model 3 they discovered that there was a lot of pent up demand for a cheaper Model S. So they're probably hoping to move some of the Model 3 preorders into Model S orders.

• Like x 1
  16. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Tesla probably figures that they will get a chance to resell many of these vehicles as used cars. At that point they can unlock and sell as 75s, recovering the extra battery cost. Same way that 40s were resold as 60s.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Exactly: people who don't want to wait for the Model 3 can buy an S"60" for a few years, get faster Supercharging and then trade it in. Although, I don't know how many sales it will generate: I'd expect that people at the low end of the S will be loth to spend the extra money.

18. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I received an email directly from Tesla last night announcing the 60 and 60D. Message seemed legitimate. It will be interesting to compare this option with the Model 3 pricing.

19. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Exactly and I think it's genius.

20. Beryl

Beryl Member

Agreed. It was covered on our local news today.

A model 60 is an excellent entry point. I'd recommend spending the extra for dual motors and the premium package since neither option can be added later so would help resale.