Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I doubt it ... the quoted performance stats match the Model S 70/70D.

submitted an hour ago by Buymyclothes

To bring down the price point there will be a new option for a 60kWh battery. It's actually going to be the 75kWh battery but with software that keeps it at 60kWh performance. There will be the option to OTA download to release the full 75kWh. RWD price is $66,000, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and 208 mile range. A 60D will be $71,000, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and a 216 mile range.

Doesn't offer any links to substantiate the claim. The OP now says "Submitted by deleted."

I wouldn't put much stock into this.

When I was in the army we had a saying, "If you don't hear a rumour by 10 o'clock, make up one."

Reactions: newtman
The interactions in the comments make this seem like it might be true or a good deception by the Reddit poster involving multiple accounts?

I have been thinking that 240 miles of range isn't needed anymore with superchargers everywhere in California.
If this happens I'd consider upgrading my 2013 p85 to this with autopilot.

The interactions in the comments make this seem like it might be true or a good deception by the Reddit poster involving multiple accounts?

I have been thinking that 240 miles of range isn't needed anymore with superchargers everywhere in California.
If this happens I'd consider upgrading my 2013 p85 to this with autopilot.
Yes, sock puppets.

As an investor, I am starting to worry when Tesla is giving away $4000 worth of batteries in order to generate sales.

Osborne effect from the 3?

I think Tesla is struggling with what to do when the battery cost are rapidly falling. If you come out with a car that has a bigger battery then it has a huge impact on the values of the older models.

So instead you create a lower market while allowing that lower market to upgrade. With the 60 there is the potential for up to $12K in profit to be taken at a later date. Profit that eventually will likely be had. Remember what they did to the 40. Where they automatically updated it to a 60 when it went for sale as a CPO.

What I find funny is the 60 was never that popular. Most went with a bigger battery, and they stopped making the 60.

But, maybe because of the Model 3 they discovered that there was a lot of pent up demand for a cheaper Model S. So they're probably hoping to move some of the Model 3 preorders into Model S orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vitold
Tesla probably figures that they will get a chance to resell many of these vehicles as used cars. At that point they can unlock and sell as 75s, recovering the extra battery cost. Same way that 40s were resold as 60s.

Exactly: people who don't want to wait for the Model 3 can buy an S"60" for a few years, get faster Supercharging and then trade it in. Although, I don't know how many sales it will generate: I'd expect that people at the low end of the S will be loth to spend the extra money.