Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60k miles, heat pump failure 2020 MYP - Tesla wants $4500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So venting here because I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm one of the first 5,000 Vins on the Model Y - have all the packages Perf...FSD...etc...so it was almost an $80k car.

Ofcourse there have been issues with the car but nothing major and most have been previously addressed.

Last week, the heat pump made a terrible noise and the A/C stopped functioning. At the same time the 12v battery also went out.

Luckily was able to jump start it to get it to the SC...they reached back out to me stating it was going to be $4800 for repairs...

The customer service doesn't even offer extended warranties on the 3 or Y....so that's the first thing I'm pissed off about but now, 2 years and barely 10k miles out, there is a major malfunction that is not being covered.

I had issues with thr A/C last summer but was unable to replicate it. All I could get from Tesla was that it was working as designed.

Was really hoping to make it to 100k without issues but I guess Tesla quality just isn't there...at a loss as to what alternatives there are for other shops. 🤬

Trying to reach out to the manager or supervisor as I've had an appointment with the service center for over 5 months regarding other issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-100139_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-100139_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,178
Oh and they mentioned they need to replace all of the HVAC component because shrapnel went into the system when the heat pump stopped working

This is definitely true. I'm actually glad to hear this, because if they weren't planning on changing all of the system components, you'd likely be facing another failure in the near future.

On the bright side, I think you're the only heat pump failure I've heard about out of warranty. While heat pump cars are still pretty new, and thus low mileage, I think this bodes well for future reliability.

Reactions: lawmangr

I'm one of the first 5,000 Vins on the Model Y - have all the packages Perf...FSD...etc...so it was almost an $80k car.

Ofcourse there have been issues with the car but nothing major and most have been previously addressed.

Last week, the heat pump made a terrible noise and the A/C stopped functioning. At the same time the 12v battery also went out.

Luckily was able to jump start it to get it to the SC...they reached back out to me stating it was going to be $4800 for repairs...

The customer service doesn't even offer extended warranties on the 3 or Y....so that's the first thing I'm pissed off about but now, 2 years and barely 10k miles out, there is a major malfunction that is not being covered.

I had issues with thr A/C last summer but was unable to replicate it. All I could get from Tesla was that it was working as designed.

Was really hoping to make it to 100k without issues but I guess Tesla quality just isn't there...at a loss as to what alternatives there are for other shops. 🤬

Trying to reach out to the manager or supervisor as I've had an appointment with the service center for over 5 months regarding other issues.
So do you have documented multiple service center visits about your AC and they kept saying nothing was wrong?

How well do Texas Lemon Laws protect the consumer?

I know that would be my go-to when there's a documented trail of issues resulting from an issue I tried to resolve more than once

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Why wouldn't this be covered under the 4 year warranty? Isn't this a case of an estimate that won't need to be paid by the vehicle owner?
He's 10,000 miles over that warranty.

To my point earlier that would also be dependent if you were still under warranty last year when you were taking it in for AC issues.

This is definitely true. I'm actually glad to hear this, because if they weren't planning on changing all of the system components, you'd likely be facing another failure in the near future.

On the bright side, I think you're the only heat pump failure I've heard about out of warranty. While heat pump cars are still pretty new, and thus low mileage, I think this bodes well for future reliability.
I am going to see if they will cover it under Goodwill because there are several recalls regarding the heat pump already out and considering this was one of the first iteration I am sure there are issues
He's 10,000 miles over that warranty.

To my point earlier that would also be dependent if you were still under warranty last year when you were taking it in for AC issues.
They won't do anything if they didn't have any errors....

I am going to see if they will cover it under Goodwill because there are several recalls regarding the heat pump already out and considering this was one of the first iteration I am sure there are issues

They won't do anything if they didn't have any errors....
I get they won't do anything because they lack the data but here in California I wouldn't hesitate to pull the Lemon Law protections if I had documented , under warranty issues, that then resulted in a failure of the system responsible for that system in warranty or not.

If pushing that angle resulted in them doing a "goodwill" replacement that's fine too, but I would be using everything in my disposal to protect myself for something that appears to be preventable. It isn't the consumers fault that their monitoring systems aren't sufficient to predict failure. That's a Tesla problem not a you problem.

Reactions: mservoss
There are 3rd party companies that offer extended warranties for Teslas. You could ask for a goodwill fix or maybe ask if they would split the cost with you. There's no argument for lemon law protections here and you are outside the warranty coverage. I know you're upset that the heat pump failed at 60K miles, but you knew once you hit the 50K mile mark you would be out of warranty.

Reactions: Pianewman

I would think this is something that is covered under the warranty.....no?

Isn't the heat Pump part of the batteries TMS and covered by the battery warranty?

I doubt it. The PCS isnt even considered as part of the battery warranty from what I have read here, so I doubt the heat pump is considered "battery".

For some reason, many people are not reading the thread title that starts with "60k miles", so the OPs car is not under the new car warranty, and only under the battery warranty.

Things happen, but 10k miles over is not 200 miles over. The issue here is, for the OP, it likely feels like they "just ticked over the warranty period" since it appears they drive a lot.

Reactions: Pianewman
I doubt it. The PCS isnt even considered as part of the battery warranty from what I have read here, so I doubt the heat pump is considered "battery".

For some reason, many people are not reading the thread title that starts with "60k miles", so the OPs car is not under the new car warranty, and only under the battery warranty.

Things happen, but 10k miles over is not 200 miles over. The issue here is, for the OP, it likely feels like they "just ticked over the warranty period" since it appears they drive a lot.
Yeah, basically and the fact that I've been waiting months for service for other issues isn't really relevant to them. I spoke with a manager who seemed hopeful in that they may help but not cover the entire bill...🤷‍♂️🤦🙈

Found out from service, heat pump is NOT part of the battery system...🤦

Not after 50k miles...
Ask them if the battery pack can run safely without its cooling system. Answer will be no. Ask them if the heat pump is an essential component of the battery heating and cooling system. Answer will be yes. So the heat pump is a part of the battery and drive train. Your issues were first raised whilst still under warranty anyway. You would undoubtedly be covered under the rules of most jurisdictions. (For the entire bill.) Hang in there.

Ask them if the battery pack can run safely without its cooling system. Answer will be no. Ask them if the heat pump is an essential component of the battery heating and cooling system. Answer will be yes. So the heat pump is a part of the battery and drive train. Your issues were first raised whilst still under warranty anyway. You would undoubtedly be covered under the rules of most jurisdictions. (For the entire bill.) Hang in there.
That's a good way to approach it, I'll pose that question and see what they say.