Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60k miles, heat pump failure 2020 MYP - Tesla wants $4500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask them if the battery pack can run safely without its cooling system. Answer will be no. Ask them if the heat pump is an essential component of the battery heating and cooling system. Answer will be yes. So the heat pump is a part of the battery and drive train. Your issues were first raised whilst still under warranty anyway. You would undoubtedly be covered under the rules of most jurisdictions. (For the entire bill.) Hang in there.
I dont get why everyone thinks that and I hear similar stuff all the time. If the alternator on your ice car dies , can you drive it? No, but it doesn’t mean the alternator is part of power train warranty, even though it’s attached to the power train. I’m pretty sure the battery warranty even states something like “covered for xx % capacity loss or component failure”. I would more push the point of the common issues (grab the bulletins if you can) and updates done to fix this exact common issue and keep pushing your previous complaint. That is the path that will get you success under goodwill, not a far reaching interpretation of a warranty certificate.

I dont get why everyone thinks that and I hear similar stuff all the time. If the alternator on your ice car dies , can you drive it? No, but it doesn’t mean the alternator is part of power train warranty, even though it’s attached to the power train. I’m pretty sure the battery warranty even states something like “covered for xx % capacity loss or component failure”. I would more push the point of the common issues (grab the bulletins if you can) and updates done to fix this exact common issue and keep pushing your previous complaint. That is the path that will get you success under goodwill, not a far reaching interpretation of a warranty certificate.
I agree with what you have mentioned as well, alternator is not necessarily part of the drivetrain so wouldn't be covered but I think the other argument has some validity to it as well. On a car such as our EVs, would you say a heat pump is a necessity?

2007 Toyota Tundra had induction pump issues. Replacing 2 pumps was $4700. Toyota was refusing repair for trucks that were under warranty. That was purely evil. Claim was water in induction pump voided warranty. Later was proven it was Toyota design flaw.
Rotors would last 18k miles and warp after that. Toyota break price was $1200 each time. Point is stuff happens with all cars.
Some people have it trouble free and some fix every darn possible thing.
I think you had a good run of 60k. You’ll fix it and will continue enjoying it!
Best part Tesla is not up selling you to replace rear diff fluid, clean injectors, flush transmission, and all the other goodies you can get from stealership.

2007 Toyota Tundra had induction pump issues. Replacing 2 pumps was $4700. Toyota was refusing repair for trucks that were under warranty. That was purely evil. Claim was water in induction pump voided warranty. Later was proven it was Toyota design flaw.
Rotors would last 18k miles and warp after that. Toyota break price was $1200 each time. Point is stuff happens with all cars.
Some people have it trouble free and some fix every darn possible thing.
I think you had a good run of 60k. You’ll fix it and will continue enjoying it!
Best part Tesla is not up selling you to replace rear diff fluid, clean injectors, flush transmission, and all the other goodies you can get from stealership.
What about headlight fluid?

Not sure why this thread made the second page. OP's car is out of warranty by 10k miles, hence, no warranty. The battery and powertrain warranty only covers the battery and motors. Also, the lemon law does not apply to the customer's complaint that was determined to be "normal" by Tesla.

Not sure why this thread made the second page. OP's car is out of warranty by 10k miles, hence, no warranty. The battery and powertrain warranty only covers the battery and motors. Also, the lemon law does not apply to the customer's complaint that was determined to be "normal" by Tesla.

You're right I'm out of warranty but I'm probably also one of the few Ys that have hit 60k miles in such a short period. Let's see in a few years if this becomes a common problem. 😉

I will just add that there’s a difference between a battery and “cells”. If the warranty is for the battery then it should include the essential components that make up the battery i.e. all the cells, pack structure, internal cabling and it’s integrated cooling system. If the warranty just covers battery cells then it should say that. If the battery or any other components are damaged as a result of the failed heat pump (with problems highlighted before the mileage warranty restriction kicked in) then surely everything should be covered.

I will just add that there’s a difference between a battery and “cells”. If the warranty is for the battery then it should include the essential components that make up the battery i.e. all the cells, pack structure, internal cabling and it’s integrated cooling system. If the warranty just covers battery cells then it should say that. If the battery or any other components are damaged as a result of the failed heat pump (with problems highlighted before the mileage warranty restriction kicked in) then surely everything should be covered.

That would make sense, but it is not the case here. There are several car manufacturers that include all high voltage components under the same warranty - battery pack, cooling system, cabin heater, etc., but Tesla is very specific about not covering those ancillary items beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The car can be operated without a functioning heat pump system - it will throttle supercharging and driving speeds to prevent damage to the battery pack.

Reactions: cwerdna
Let's be realistic here, the heat pump is not part of the battery. You could associate any part of the car with any other system if you wanted as they are pretty much all working together. You could say the tires are part of the drivetrain, but we know they aren't when it comes to warranty coverage. The heat pump failed outside of warranty. Now it's up to the OP to work with Tesla to get it fixed either fully out of pocket or hopefully partially covered as a goodwill gesture.

I’m going to jump on this thread with my MYP heat pump issues.

The first replacement of the AC compressor was at 3,000 miles along with the rear drive unit due to isolation faults.

Second replacement of the AC compressor and super manifold was at 22,000 miles due to a climate control system fault.

Third replacement of the compressor, super manifold, and AC lines was at 50,000 miles due to defective software destroying the system. Tesla replaced under warranty.

The car is now at 62,000 miles and is not cooling, and displaying climate fault again. Service scheduled for Friday..

Good thing I bought a third party extended warranty…

The first replacement of the AC compressor was at 3,000 miles along with the rear drive unit due to isolation faults.

Second replacement of the AC compressor and super manifold was at 22,000 miles due to a climate control system fault.

Third replacement of the compressor, super manifold, and AC lines was at 50,000 miles due to defective software destroying the system. Tesla replaced under warranty.

The car is now at 62,000 miles and is not cooling, and displaying climate fault again. Service scheduled for Friday..

Tell us more about your warranty please.

Reactions: mservoss

That's ridiculous. Given the history, this should be a Goodwill repair, adn why they are at it, break the whole thing down until they find what is causing these AC failures.

Report back if you can.