TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60kW Pack Supercharge from 0 to 90% Shows Maximum 105kW Rate and Charge Curve

Discussion in 'Video' started by islandbayy, Dec 22, 2013.

1. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#1 islandbayy, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I'd love to see someone with 85 kWh pack do the exact same thing as a comparison. Nice job.

3. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Thanks for posting. One thing that's interesting is at 0 rated miles, it appears that you are just south of the 10% dash on the touchscreen. It sure looks like you've got some juice left even at 0.

4. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

Extrapolating this data you could assume that the maximum possible charge for the 85 kW battery would be about 150 kWh. We know Elon has said that he wants to go higher than the 135 kWh being rolled out in Germany so I think 150 kWh is probably max for the current battery chemistry.

5. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

That would be the 17-mile "emergency buffer".

I'm curious as to how Tesla will handle it when they do hit the physical limit. Obviously they can't just start replacing/upgrading existing superchargers since those with older cars will still need them. Maybe after a certain point, any new construction/updates will be only for new chemistry compatibility? Those with legacy batteries will have to make do with the existing supercharger infrastructure?

6. gelden

gelden Active Member

some charts of the 85 kW charging at superchargers here

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Noone says they cant still use the existing koisk's, everything is computer controlled. Just like right now their is a difference in rates between the 60 and 85 batteries, the car will tell the SC what battery and it will charge accordingly.

One thing I believe, is that in the future, Tesla may need to go to higher voltages. It will increase efficiency, and decrease charge time due to lower amperage.

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

You are awesome! Great post!!!!

9. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Montgom, we need to get you to Mauston and do a fun full charge :)

10. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Island, how many kWhs did you add from 0 rated miles to 90% SOC?

11. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

53kW and I did not do a range charge. I had 10% more to go.

12. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

You can count on it! And because of all the work you have done.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

105 is the most I've seen in my 60 as well from the 10 superchargers we've visited

14. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

105kW is also the best I ever got on a new Texas Supercharger (Waco and Corsicana).

15. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Hmmm, was wondering just how many kWh you might have had on the other side of 0. This suggests not much.

16. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I arrived burning a bit of the "reserve".

17. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Sounds like your battery pack is back to "normal" now?

18. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I'd hope so, I never had a problem with it :)
    When I supercharged during the Highland Park grand opening, My range charge was 204 at 17,000 miles (209 when new), that was Last week Friday, I'm at 18,000 today, so I am going to see what my range charge is Saturday or Sunday. No point on trying at home, as the pack gets too cold and gives a very low reading at low temps, so I will range charge when I supercharge Saturday or Sunday.

19. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Either I'm really confused, you have amnesia or you were confused and just misunderstood my question. :smile:

A month and a half ago or so, you were reporting rated mile numbers that were all over the place and far below 200 rated for 100%, and then you were told by someone at Tesla to do a number of range charges in a row, and then later after installing 5.8 you were losing like 12 rated miles every couple hours or so. You had at least one post that your pack was "VERY out of balance."

So that's why I asked how your pack is doing now, and what advice you might have to offer since my numbers after 12K miles look pretty close to yours before all of the range/100% charges you did. I am taking my car in for service next week, but somehow I expect them to tell me my battery is doing just fine and that "weather and driving habits" are the reason why my rated miles are consistently 15 or so below what others are seeing.

20. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Ahh, I see. Yah, my numbers in general are all over the place. It really is temperature related. Charge a cold pack to 100% and maybe get 190 miles rated range.
    When I supercharged at Highland Park grand opening, the pack was HOT from driving on the freeway from Milwaukee, Wi to Highland Park, Il, and then the process of supercharging kept it warmer, so that was my first real range charge with a nice toasty warm pack in a while, so we did a range charge and my mileage came out fairly decent. Up until recently, I had never supercharged at all, and the process of charging on a 14-50 outlet doesn't create enough heat in the pack when it's zero degrees out, so the car apparently compensates for that.