Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kW Pack Supercharge from 0 to 90% Shows Maximum 105kW Rate and Charge Curve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extrapolating this data you could assume that the maximum possible charge for the 85 kW battery would be about 150 kWh. We know Elon has said that he wants to go higher than the 135 kWh being rolled out in Germany so I think 150 kWh is probably max for the current battery chemistry.

Thanks for posting. One thing that's interesting is at 0 rated miles, it appears that you are just south of the 10% dash on the touchscreen. It sure looks like you've got some juice left even at 0.

That would be the 17-mile "emergency buffer".

Extrapolating this data you could assume that the maximum possible charge for the 85 kW battery would be about 150 kWh. We know Elon has said that he wants to go higher than the 135 kWh being rolled out in Germany so I think 150 kWh is probably max for the current battery chemistry.

I'm curious as to how Tesla will handle it when they do hit the physical limit. Obviously they can't just start replacing/upgrading existing superchargers since those with older cars will still need them. Maybe after a certain point, any new construction/updates will be only for new chemistry compatibility? Those with legacy batteries will have to make do with the existing supercharger infrastructure?

That would be the 17-mile "emergency buffer".

I'm curious as to how Tesla will handle it when they do hit the physical limit. Obviously they can't just start replacing/upgrading existing superchargers since those with older cars will still need them. Maybe after a certain point, any new construction/updates will be only for new chemistry compatibility? Those with legacy batteries will have to make do with the existing supercharger infrastructure?

Noone says they cant still use the existing koisk's, everything is computer controlled. Just like right now their is a difference in rates between the 60 and 85 batteries, the car will tell the SC what battery and it will charge accordingly.

One thing I believe, is that in the future, Tesla may need to go to higher voltages. It will increase efficiency, and decrease charge time due to lower amperage.

Sounds like your battery pack is back to "normal" now?

I'd hope so, I never had a problem with it :)
When I supercharged during the Highland Park grand opening, My range charge was 204 at 17,000 miles (209 when new), that was Last week Friday, I'm at 18,000 today, so I am going to see what my range charge is Saturday or Sunday. No point on trying at home, as the pack gets too cold and gives a very low reading at low temps, so I will range charge when I supercharge Saturday or Sunday.

I'd hope so, I never had a problem with it :)
When I supercharged during the Highland Park grand opening, My range charge was 204 at 17,000 miles (209 when new), that was Last week Friday, I'm at 18,000 today, so I am going to see what my range charge is Saturday or Sunday. No point on trying at home, as the pack gets too cold and gives a very low reading at low temps, so I will range charge when I supercharge Saturday or Sunday.

Either I'm really confused, you have amnesia or you were confused and just misunderstood my question. :smile:

A month and a half ago or so, you were reporting rated mile numbers that were all over the place and far below 200 rated for 100%, and then you were told by someone at Tesla to do a number of range charges in a row, and then later after installing 5.8 you were losing like 12 rated miles every couple hours or so. You had at least one post that your pack was "VERY out of balance."

So that's why I asked how your pack is doing now, and what advice you might have to offer since my numbers after 12K miles look pretty close to yours before all of the range/100% charges you did. I am taking my car in for service next week, but somehow I expect them to tell me my battery is doing just fine and that "weather and driving habits" are the reason why my rated miles are consistently 15 or so below what others are seeing.

Either I'm really confused, you have amnesia or you were confused and just misunderstood my question. :smile:

A month and a half ago or so, you were reporting rated mile numbers that were all over the place and far below 200 rated for 100%, and then you were told by someone at Tesla to do a number of range charges in a row, and then later after installing 5.8 you were losing like 12 rated miles every couple hours or so. You had at least one post that your pack was "VERY out of balance."

So that's why I asked how your pack is doing now, and what advice you might have to offer since my numbers after 12K miles look pretty close to yours before all of the range/100% charges you did. I am taking my car in for service next week, but somehow I expect them to tell me my battery is doing just fine and that "weather and driving habits" are the reason why my rated miles are consistently 15 or so below what others are seeing.

Ahh, I see. Yah, my numbers in general are all over the place. It really is temperature related. Charge a cold pack to 100% and maybe get 190 miles rated range.
When I supercharged at Highland Park grand opening, the pack was HOT from driving on the freeway from Milwaukee, Wi to Highland Park, Il, and then the process of supercharging kept it warmer, so that was my first real range charge with a nice toasty warm pack in a while, so we did a range charge and my mileage came out fairly decent. Up until recently, I had never supercharged at all, and the process of charging on a 14-50 outlet doesn't create enough heat in the pack when it's zero degrees out, so the car apparently compensates for that.