TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60kwh performance put another way: compared to your previous car

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by justaddsun, Jan 29, 2013.

1. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a reservation holder trying to decide between the 60 and 85kwh batteries for the Model S. I've read as much as I could about range (which is not as big a deal for my daily routine), battery degradation, etc., but most reviews from drivers say "you will love the power." I'm coming from a C63 AMG and the main reason I'd want to purchase the Model S is its lack of compromise for things like style, efficiency, AND performance. But, short of going with the Performance version and its $100k price tag, will I be disappointed coming from my AMG? Give me some real-life experiences with your 60kwh, your previous car, and your "butt-dyno" results. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#2 yobigd20, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    If you enjoy being able to do this

every time you pull up to any sports car, then go for the P85.

3. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

I still have a loaded 2010 Audi S4 which our Model S P is replacing. I drive both and there is no comparison between the two. The Tesla is boss. Your Cedes E63 is probably somewhere between an MS 60 and standard 85 regarding performance. The instant and smooth torque provided by the Tesla powertrain is great and based on what I'm seeing by owners' posts, the 60 will be plenty powerful and quick. Our Model S is not just a "car" for us, it's more like a quest so we invested in the P. I think the 60's and 40's are going to please their owners. I have had no reason to "floor" our car and it's still the best and fastest car I've ever driven.

4. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

#4 Francis Lau, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    I have been driving the MS 85kWh non-perf for almost 2 months now and I have taken a 2 road trips (>200 miles). I also have a Audi A4 and I have test driven a few times the Porsche Panamera and Audi A7 before finalizing. The MS accelerates much faster than those, is silky smooth and perfectly quiet when doing it. Also, it has the same torque from 0 to 60 and 60 to 90 :) However, I have not driven a 60kWh MS.

With the above experience, I strongly recommend buying the 85kWh as rated battery range is less than actual and range is the biggest tradeoff for an EV so don't skimp there. Also, I think the non-perf is plenty fast so I don't think you will be disappointed. Unless you are drag racing, then you should buy the performance version :)

5. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I have a buddy with a '12 Merc E550 (twin turbo V8) and my non-perf 85kwh will get the jump and then hang door to door with him.

6. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Thanks for the insight guys. Keep them coming!

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I generally agreed with Francis' post. I often drive my wife's BMW 535xi (far more sportily than she does, but don't tell her!). This isn't as nice a car as your AMG, but it highlights what I love about the Model S: I actually use the full power. Because I'm not being noisy or stressing out the systems, and because it's just so natural to accelerate powerfully in the MS, I feel no compunction about flooring the Tesla (provided the driving situation allows me to do so safely).

I also picked the 85kWh, partly because I wasn't willing to wait an extra 4 months, but mostly because I didn't want to worry about range in most situations. The extra performance is a nice extra. Apparently, most of the drop-off in performance between the 85 and the 60 is in the mid-range; they'll be both about the same off the line, but in a high-speed passing situation, the 85 will do noticeably better.

Also like Francis, I couldn't rationalize the extra ~10 grand for the Performance option. Better performance, sure, but I have all I need with the standard. YMMV.

8. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I think you would notice the 60 kWh's lack of performance compared to your C63 AMG.

I own a SLK32 and a Model S P85. My butt tells me that the SLK has slightly better peak acceleration even though the stats show a slower 0-60 time. (My math indicates my butt might be right as the ICE has 332 lb-ft on a 3500 lb car with a more favorable gear ratio than my P85's 443 lb-ft of torque on a 4700 lb car. If they made Model S a 2-speed, it could have better peak acceleration, but they didn't).
    If you choose a significantly faster ICE and a significantly slower Tesla for your comparison, I think it would be much more noticeable.

On the flip side, the Model S is very quiet and never has to downshift. That makes it more fun for me to step on the pedal.

Incidentally, Model S does not have the same torque at high speeds as it does at low speeds. The P85 has constant torque from 0-40 (with higher speed using more power), then it has constant power from 40-80 (with higher speed putting out less torque).
    The non performance models have similar torque to each other, but their torque drops off at lower speeds for the smaller batteries. 0-20 should be similar for a 40 kWh and a non-perf 85 kWh.

Anyway, if you like to floor it in your C63, and you want to be able to maintain that feeling in your next car, anything other than the performance Model S is probably going to disappoint you.
    If you find yourself rarely flooring your C63 and often finding yourself frustrated by the way your car shifts, give the Model S a try.

my $0.02,
    Derek

9. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

dockt,
    Took delivery of my 60kWh on Monday. Since we're neighbors, you can come drive it (or we could do some side by side testing) and post the results.

10. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I'm in Woodbridge, VA so I would also be happy to bring my car by for you to take a ride and you can do your comparisons.

11. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Thx for the generosity, guys. Dfib, I'll text or email you about that test drive. Hope you are enjoying it.

12. Hellas

Hellas New Member

I suggest you go for the P-85. It is an upgrade from the AMG. You will be amazed at the acceleration (from any mph) and cornering. Prior to my P-85, I was driving a 993T and am genuinely impressed by the Tesla.

13. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

So Dfib was nice enough to show me his new 60kwh gray/tan Model S w/ 19's, this morning -- simply beautiful -- AND let me test drive it. On purpose, I took out my C63 on the same stretch of road prior to meeting him to have the feeling fresh in my body -- the AMG certainly eats up the road and lets everybody know it's doing so -- a big downshift, growling, and farting a couple times when coming to a stop (to be honest, I still think I'd miss this every once in a while in the MS :)). I try not to state what everyone else has already stated, but the 60kwh MS left absolutely nothing to be desired in terms of power, torque, smoothness, and effortlessness on my short test drive. There is a SWELL of energy that can be felt immediately, even at slow speeds; and there really is no build-up or hesitation in acceleration that you feel in every other ICE vehicle including my C63. I suspect the new twin-turbo V8s from AMG and BMW/M would be a good comparison, but I am comparing a $70,000 Tesla to those $100,000 cars, so it tells you what we're dealing with here. I do believe that 0-60 numbers don't do the experience in a MS justice. I was not able to toss the car through corners, but it certainly felt completely planted on turns. Here's a pic of the old guard and the new guard (morning sun makes it look a bit green, sorry Dfib): c63andTMS.jpg

14. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

So don't keep us in suspense. What'd you decide?

15. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Well can't you tell? P85 :p. j/k, wife will make final decision. No matter which battery, I'm good to go.

16. eelton

eelton Member

Having sold an S4 in favor of a Tesla, I agree the Tesla is better in most ways. I will say, however, that the Audi handled more sharply. Also, the Tesla has numb steering and lacks side bolstering on the seats, which detract from any feeling of sportiness.

sent via Tapatalk