Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60KWH roll-in - B5 theory: they won't do it til after Jan1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a mention on one of the other threads of someone who said their DS was going to let them change their config (maybe to Red?) and keep the SC credit. Unknown if they'll do the same just for changing your config for seats. While I'd really like them too, waiting an additional 4 months is not worth it... (plus my wife hates heated seats since heat is bad for certain types of back problems.. she'd want a seat ice-r)

don't need the seat heater in hawaii. I wonder when they will offer that seat icer.

My current vehicle has heated seats and rarely use them. However, I could wait the 4-months. At this point would prefer it in the Spring.

If waiting 4 months to get the heated 12 way adjustable textile seats means you would have pay the new higher price then those become VERY EXPENSIVE SEATS! Are you sure you're willing to pay an extra $2500?

I'm back!

Posted on the Tesla Bulletin Board today:

When will 40 kWh cars, 60 kWh cars, Standard Suspension and new 2013 Red begin production? | Forums | Tesla Motors

WHEN WILL 40 KWH CARS, 60 KWH CARS, STANDARD SUSPENSION AND NEW 2013 RED BEGIN PRODUCTION?
nkinkaid@teslam... | DECEMBER 3, 2012

60 kWh cars will begin production in January 2013. Deliveries will begin in January/early February.

40 kWh cars will begin production in March 2013. Deliveries will begin in March/early April.

Our original plan was to deliver 5,000 Model S in 2012. In our November letter to shareholders, we reduced our 2012 plan to between 2,500 and 3,000 while reaffirming 20,000 deliveries in 2013. This basically "shifted" our production ramp back about two months for all options not available at start of production. Our original plan was to begin production of 60 kWh cars in November, 40 kWh cars and Standard (Coil) Suspension in January, and new Red exterior paint in March. Our current production ramp takes this original plan and shifts each item back approximately two months except for the new Red.

Below is the current Production Sequencing Timeline for 2013:

• 60 kWh Model S with Active Air Suspension will phase into production in January 2013
  • 40 kWh Model S will phase into production in March 2013
  • 40, 60 and 85 kWh cars with Standard Suspension will begin production in March 2013
  • 2013 Red multi-coat paint will begin production in March 2013 (no change from original plan)

Once we begin producing Model S with each option, your sequence number and order date will determine your placement in the build schedule. We will be producing about 400 cars per week as each option phases into production, so cars will flow fairly quickly once production of a particular option begins.

We will continue to provide regular updates regarding these options as each gets closer to phasing into production. We have not done a great job at all in the past regarding communication on these items. I fully acknowledge our shortfall in this area. We now have a much better understanding of what it will take to bring each of these options into production and will do a much better job of communicating about them going forward. Rest assured we will move as quickly as possible on each item.

We will be announcing 60 kWh 5-cycle EPA range certification soon. This puts us on track for a January start of 60 kWh Model S production.

If waiting 4 months to get the heated 12 way adjustable textile seats means you would have pay the new higher price then those become VERY EXPENSIVE SEATS! Are you sure you're willing to pay an extra $2500?
No way! Did not know there was a price hit for the heated seats. Will gladly take delivery in January as gg's post indicates the 60 kWh battery should be available.

GG,

I had seen that on the Tesla Official site as well. I also got an e-mail stating the same thing.

B5,

Looks like your theory was right on with 60 kWh starting in 2013! I suppose that means 2013 will be an exciting year for me. :biggrin:

Really it's only $1000 because before you had to have the $1500 leather seat option to get heated 12-ways.

B5,

Looks like your theory was right on with 60 kWh starting in 2013! I suppose that means 2013 will be an exciting year for me. :biggrin:

Absolutely, David. Our P#s are very close, so arriving about the same time. My best guess, if they start production right at January 1 is that there is a small chance to get it delivered in January proper.

More generally:
One question, if I were to bother GeorgeB would be whether Tesla will, in January, build a mix of continuing 85s and new 60s, or will they produce 60s to roughly get up to the same P#s as the 85s... I won't freak out either way, but it will make a few weeks difference. Please understand: I just want my car. <sigh>

One question, if I were to bother GeorgeB would be whether Tesla will, in January, build a mix of continuing 85s and new 60s, or will they produce 60s to roughly get up to the same P#s as the 85s... I won't freak out either way, but it will make a few weeks difference. Please understand: I just want my car. <sigh>

I am wondering the same question, but I am on the 85kWh side of the equation, no offence but I was hoping they don't start on the 60s until the "end" of January. that way they may have time to start on my car before switching gears. I guess there is no single answer that will make everybody happy. Please understand: I just want my car. <sigh>

I have almost the same exact config as you.
85KWH, Non-perf, Silver ext/Obeche int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Absolutely, David. Our P#s are very close, so arriving about the same time. My best guess, if they start production right at January 1 is that there is a small chance to get it delivered in January proper.

More generally:

Im with you. Personally im hoping they clear out the 85s to 4000 or so and then they fill in with 60s come jan 1. (Hey,i can dream!).

Of course now the question is... How many 60s are there in those first ferw thousand. I wonder if it'll follownthe 25% ish that we've seen in polls on the site here.

Oh, and just to mention ... Great communication from George B. was very clear and concise, and well timed before we had a chance to go too nuts with the speculation.

Oh, and just to mention ... Great communication from George B. was very clear and concise, and well timed before we had a chance to go too nuts with the speculation.

Yes you can see the eye of the hurricane pass over whenever george B posts. but you know that the storm will continue on the other side when it will get "nuts" again.

One question, if I were to bother GeorgeB would be whether Tesla will, in January, build a mix of continuing 85s and new 60s, or will they produce 60s to roughly get up to the same P#s as the 85s.
That's a great question. From an equity POV, once the 60kWh pack is available, Tesla ought to catch up the Rs and Ps that were skipped over initially. Doing so would move deliveries closer to the first-in, first-out ideal. From a logistics POV, though, there may be some reasons not to shift over to 100% 60kWh packs. Not sure; just sayin'.

Last edited:
I am wondering the same question, but I am on the 85kWh side of the equation, no offence but I was hoping they don't start on the 60s until the "end" of January. that way they may have time to start on my car before switching gears. I guess there is no single answer that will make everybody happy. Please understand: I just want my car. <sigh>

I have almost the same exact config as you.
85KWH, Non-perf, Silver ext/Obeche int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Sorry, but I think you are missing an important point: if they continue to build 85s of a LATER production number even though they have 60s on-line, then 85s during that January timeframe you mention are out-of-order from the reservations. Choices we've discussed are:

- do 60s as soon as possilbe, and do them quickly or only until 60s and 85s are *generally* back in sync - most fair, but perhaps difficult to do

- do 60s as soon as possible, but just run them both in the factory in parallel without any jiggering - less fair (sets delta of all 60s later) but least difficult

- wait on 60s to get more 85s out? - Least fair, and goes against the existing reservation order...

Edit: just noticed that this correlates with robert-boston comment above... completely agree with his comments.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you are missing an important point: if they continue to build 85s of a LATER production number even though they have 60s on-line, then 85s during that January timeframe you mention are out-of-order from the reservations. Choices we've discussed are:

- do 60s as soon as possilbe, and do them quickly or only until 60s and 85s are *generally* back in sync - most fair, but perhaps difficult to do

- do 60s as soon as possible, but just run them both in the factory in parallel without any jiggering - less fair (sets delta of all 60s later) but least difficult

- wait on 60s to get more 85s out? - Least fair, and goes against the existing reservation order...

Edit: just noticed that this correlates with robert-boston comment above... completely agree with his comments.

well - i'm wondering what would make building mostly 60's "more difficult"... aren't the cars pretty much identical apart from the battery itself? Esp since most (if not all) of the early 60's will come with the supercharger hardware in place? I can't think of any other differences offhand, or reasons why most of the production of the car itself would differ between a 60 or an 85...

In the email that many of us got yesterday, there was some mention of EPA testing forthcoming. This is my take on what needs to be done:
1. manufacture 60kWh battery packs
2. develop/ test firmware adjustments to optimize for this electrical design
3. install battery pack
4. load appropriate firmware
5. do appropriate burn-in testing for the first 100 vehicles

The Battery packs are built in Palo Alto from what I remember, not Fremont, so re-tooling manufacturing process may not have quite the room. I'm betting they have built some production 60kWh battery packs already. I would say most of the production time cost is 1, 2, and 5. I wonder how much impact the weight difference will have on suspension tuning. I expect that 2 is going on right now. My hope is that the first 400 can be delivered (or picked up) before the end of January 2013. For those who are doing the factory pick-up, thanks for contributing to the "communal" delivery cost. I at least plan on returning some kind of favor by offering my NEMA 14-50 free to use for any Model S owner.

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before, but I'm new around here and haven't been able to find the answer with several targeted searches. I am thinking of calling Tesla to ask...

Does anyone know if you get the 40kwh or 60kwh battery that at some point in the future you could upgrade to a bigger battery?

Presumably the chassis and even motor is identical on all the models (with the exception of the performance model which likely has a bigger motor) so the swap out should be technically possible...

Same question goes for supercharger option - is that something that you can only buy up front, or is it something that could be added on later (like when you buy a bigger battery later...)

Same question, really goes for a lot of the options... what about the rear facing seats? Can these be added on later relatively easily? My kids are probably still too young (aged 2 1/2 and 4) to realistically use the rear facing seats, but in 2-3 years I think I could get a lot of use out of them-- so might make sense to spread the cost out by getting that option later...

This car is more expensive than any car I've ever bought and I want to see what I can do to keep the cost down (and maybe be able to make some upgrades a few years down the line.) I imagine a lot of you feel the same way...

In my dream world I wish I could afford the performance model, fully loaded, but that's over 100K!!

Thanks

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before, but I'm new around here and haven't been able to find the answer with several targeted searches. I am thinking of calling Tesla to ask...

Does anyone know if you get the 40kwh or 60kwh battery that at some point in the future you could upgrade to a bigger battery?

Presumably the chassis and even motor is identical on all the models (with the exception of the performance model which likely has a bigger motor) so the swap out should be technically possible...

Same question goes for supercharger option - is that something that you can only buy up front, or is it something that could be added on later (like when you buy a bigger battery later...)

Same question, really goes for a lot of the options... what about the rear facing seats? Can these be added on later relatively easily? My kids are probably still too young (aged 2 1/2 and 4) to realistically use the rear facing seats, but in 2-3 years I think I could get a lot of use out of them-- so might make sense to spread the cost out by getting that option later...

This car is more expensive than any car I've ever bought and I want to see what I can do to keep the cost down (and maybe be able to make some upgrades a few years down the line.) I imagine a lot of you feel the same way...

In my dream world I wish I could afford the performance model, fully loaded, but that's over 100K!!

Thanks

The only option that Tesla says they can easily add later is the child seats but it will cost you more to have it later than getting it done at the factory.

In terms of battery and supercharging upgrades after the fact, it might be technically possible but Tesla has not committed to doing that. I'd get whatever you think you'll want now and in the future as long as you own the car and not count on Tesla making them available. They say Supercharging requires additional hardware so if any of those two happen, the battery swap would be more likely but your performance may not be upgraded as well (going from a 40kWh car and upgrading to the 85 kWh pack may not drop your 0-60 time). It could, I'm just not sure if we know that yet. Good luck.