Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kWh supercharging - I want my money back please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anybody received feedback from TM on the possibility of applying the SC payment to the Service Plan?

I was going to call and ask, but since they are apparently going to announce some sort of dramatic supercharging update in 2 weeks, I thought I would wait and see what that is first. If there are no useful superchargers anounced nearby, i'd rather get the service plan. They are also anouncing something related to the service plan next week, so things are really up in the air. I think without knowing this information we'd be just spinning our wheels. We have until the end of the month to get the service plan in its current form, so there should be enough time.

There's many different ways to put a value on Supercharging. During a three-year period:
1. Electricity Savings. If a person uses the SC as a substitute for home charging for 20% of miles driven (3 x 3000 miles/year = 9000 miles): For 3.2 MW at $0.15/kWhr = $480.00
2. Gasoline Savings. Use of a SC may open up long distance trips that may be inconvenient without it. Assuming use of 20mpg gasoline vehicle for one 300 mile trip/month. (36 x 300 miles = 10800 miles at $4.50/gal) 10800 / 20 x $4.50 = $2,430
3. 50/50 Combination of the above. ($2430+$480)/2 = $1455
4. Rental car offset. If you only own EVs and need a rental car for the occasional long trips: 36 trips x 2 days x $50/day rental car = $3,600

Now to account for the expected added resale value after three years which, with the exception of Alaska & Hawaii, should be more or less a national average. This is a rough guess, but having a SC may add between $600 and $1400 to the resale value. If the SC holds value on par with the rest of the car...43% x $2000 = $860. I think this would be a conservative number - the actual should be higher.

Adding the "Combo" savings to the added resale value gets you: $1455 + $860 = $2315. This is close enough to the added cost of a SC to make it a worthwhile investment, assuming that you plan to actually use a SC. If you have little or marginal use from it because of your driving habits or where you live, SC = probably a bad investment. However, if you can and will use even just occasionally, the SC is probably going to be worthwhile for you.

There's many different ways to put a value on Supercharging. During a three-year period:
1. Electricity Savings. If a person uses the SC as a substitute for home charging for 20% of miles driven (3 x 3000 miles/year = 9000 miles): For 3.2 MW at $0.15/kWhr = $480.00
2. Gasoline Savings. Use of a SC may open up long distance trips that may be inconvenient without it. Assuming use of 20mpg gasoline vehicle for one 300 mile trip/month. (36 x 300 miles = 10800 miles at $4.50/gal) 10800 / 20 x $4.50 = $2,430
3. 50/50 Combination of the above. ($2430+$480)/2 = $1455
4. Rental car offset. If you only own EVs and need a rental car for the occasional long trips: 36 trips x 2 days x $50/day rental car = $3,600

Now to account for the expected added resale value after three years which, with the exception of Alaska & Hawaii, should be more or less a national average. This is a rough guess, but having a SC may add between $600 and $1400 to the resale value. If the SC holds value on par with the rest of the car...43% x $2000 = $860. I think this would be a conservative number - the actual should be higher.

Adding the "Combo" savings to the added resale value gets you: $1455 + $860 = $2315. This is close enough to the added cost of a SC to make it a worthwhile investment, assuming that you plan to actually use a SC. If you have little or marginal use from it because of your driving habits or where you live, SC = probably a bad investment. However, if you can and will use even just occasionally, the SC is probably going to be worthwhile for you.

Excellent analysis. I think most of us tend to oversimplify our financial calculations. You've pointed us to a more realistic value of the Supercharger.

@StephRob -

highly sympathize with your frustration on this issue. Like you, I opted for the 60kWh option. For me, buying this car was a stretch purchase. I didn't want to sit on the sidelines and say how cool it is. This, for me, is one small example and individual actions can lead to something bigger. Each of us is helping to popularize electric cars and showing what is possible. Each of us are valuable PR and ambassadors for Tesla. That was a tangent. Anyway, I don't begrudge you your frustration or choice of words. Tesla was most decidedly confused about what their SC policy was going to be on the 60kWh vehicles. I was told every version and permutation you were (about the all the cars having the hardware; only if you order it originally and it CAN'T be retrofitted, the car will have it and you can elect to activate it). Every single version and then some. I did criticize them at the time - make any decision you want, but decide it and stick to it. The big problem for me was the waffling. And you, unfairly, got caught in their indecision. I would be frustrated too.

I was going to call and ask, but since they are apparently going to announce some sort of dramatic supercharging update in 2 weeks, I thought I would wait and see what that is first. If there are no useful superchargers anounced nearby, i'd rather get the service plan. They are also anouncing something related to the service plan next week, so things are really up in the air. I think without knowing this information we'd be just spinning our wheels. We have until the end of the month to get the service plan in its current form, so there should be enough time.

I'm waiting on the sidelines too. Still no answer to my emails from TM. will keep track of this thread

To do a follow up on StepRob's OP.

The price of Supercharging has gone up. 2k to $2.5K this, and likely future price raises makes the decision to buy SC with the car a good one for resale as the 2ndary buyer has a larger barrier to implementation.

Tesla can add this to CPO MS's for naught and charge for it too.

The price of Supercharging has gone up. 2k to $2.5K this, and likely future price raises makes the decision to buy SC with the car a good one for resale as the 2ndary buyer has a larger barrier to implementation.

Tesla hasn't changed the price on this. Still a $2k option when placing the order or a $2.5k "upgrade" if added later.

Same as it was when I placed order in April -- shortly after they said all cars had the hardware and that it could be enabled after the fact...