Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kwh supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great. I just pulled the trigger on a 60. I have a 60 from 2013 with about 53k on it. It's been a great car and range has essentially never been a problem, though it does take longer to charge during supercharger stops. I was about to go for the 75, then they reannounced the 60 the next day, so it was a no brainer. Love that you can unlock more range later.

We don't know the actual SoC range that is programmed in... the problem is that you likely won't get the maximum speed since you won't be exposed to the bottom, but you also won't get the maximum taper at the top, assuming they limit both sides.

Currently pondering the same thing. Is it viable to supercharge with a 60S now? Theoretically it should charge as fast as a 75S. I'd have to make more stops at superchargers, but no reason it can't be done. I only drive 25 miles/day 95% of the time. Maybe a couple trips LA-Sac a year. I don't want to be that guy with a 60kWh getting dirty looks having to stop at every supercharger along the way though.

Totally viable. I've never had a trip my 60 couldn't handle. For example, driving from Phoenix to LA or Phoenix to Vegas.. no problem. Sure, it required more overall charging time, but it was doable. Also, I have kids so they need to stop anyway.

I ask myself, is an hour or 2 extra of my life a few times a year worth $9k? For me, the answer has been no, but I still might upgrade the new 60 at some point.

Currently pondering the same thing. Is it viable to supercharge with a 60S now? Theoretically it should charge as fast as a 75S. I'd have to make more stops at superchargers, but no reason it can't be done. I only drive 25 miles/day 95% of the time. Maybe a couple trips LA-Sac a year. I don't want to be that guy with a 60kWh getting dirty looks having to stop at every supercharger along the way though.

Totally viable. I've never had a trip my 60 couldn't handle. For example, driving from Phoenix to LA or Phoenix to Vegas.. no problem. Sure, it required more overall charging time, but it was doable. Also, I have kids so they need to stop anyway.

I ask myself, is an hour or 2 extra of my life a few times a year worth $9k? For me, the answer has been no, but I still might upgrade the new 60 at some point.

I have 2 kids also, and that's the exact question I'm facing. I really want to get an S, wife finally said okay. I've done some research on having a 60S, checking EV Trip Planner, etc, and it only makes LA-Sac 10-20 minutes or so longer. A 90D could potentially cut an hour off that, but I don't have an extra 30K sitting around. A refresh 60 should have a little more range and charge quite a bit faster than the legacy model.

I would love to get a D, but living in LA there is almost no use, and 5K for 8 miles of range doesn't seem worth it.

Go for it, you won't regret it. :) The great thing about the new 60 is you always have that range upgrade option. If your patterns change the 75 should cover just about everything.

FWIW -- if you are thinking about it, I found the rear facing seats a waste of money. My kids only used them a few times, didn't think they were cool and felt sick back there. Now they are too big for them. Guess it depends on the kid.

I have 2 kids also, and that's the exact question I'm facing. I really want to get an S, wife finally said okay. I've done some research on having a 60S, checking EV Trip Planner, etc, and it only makes LA-Sac 10-20 minutes or so longer. A 90D could potentially cut an hour off that, but I don't have an extra 30K sitting around. A refresh 60 should have a little more range and charge quite a bit faster than the legacy model.

I would love to get a D, but living in LA there is almost no use, and 5K for 8 miles of range doesn't seem worth it.

Go for it, you won't regret it.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not getting the RFS for the exact reasons you described. I think I'm just going to get a bare 60S with Autopilot. Only things that tempt me are the D, and Next Gen seats, but I'm trying to save some money so I can also get a Model 3. Looking at the Supercharger network on the 5 makes me more comfortable now. They're everywhere!

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not getting the RFS for the exact reasons you described. I think I'm just going to get a bare 60S with Autopilot. Only things that tempt me are the D, and Next Gen seats, but I'm trying to save some money so I can also get a Model 3. Looking at the Supercharger network on the 5 makes me more comfortable now. They're everywhere!

Brand new base 60 + AP will be a fantastic car. Congrats!! Opinions differ, but I'd rather have that than a P85 without AP.

Reactions: e-FTW
Just a note on supercharging speed, remember that on the 60/70/75 that supercharging is limited to 105KW even on an empty battery because the 60/70/75 all use the 14-module (350 V) batteries. The 85/90 batteries are 16-module (400 V) and can supercharge at 120KW when near empty.

Of course supercharging is viable with the original 60s. I've done it for three years and usually the car has more range than I need before I've finished eating lunch or dinner. I know other 60 owners who gave traveled many thousands of long-distance miles. No one has ever given anyone dirty looks, I could not imagine that happening, and often I'm the only car there. There is nothing wrong with stopping at every supercharger on your route. That's what they're there for.

I'd skip the D living in LA, while it might be a bit quicker and offer a bit more range, it will also be noisier. I prefer the silence of my old-timers rear wheel drive MS.

The next gen seats will be where you spend your time in the car, so I'd strongly consider it too.

Reactions: DrManhattan
I'd skip the D living in LA, while it might be a bit quicker and offer a bit more range, it will also be noisier. I prefer the silence of my old-timers rear wheel drive MS.

The next gen seats will be where you spend your time in the car, so I'd strongly consider it too.

+1 on the Next Gen seats. That was my wife's biggest input when we test drove on nice squiggly roads in the So Cal hills. Well worth the money unless you never drive on roads that curve.

AP a freeway must.

D worth a thought if you ever venture up to the snow.

75/90 only necessary if you add tow hitch and bicycle rack (knocks 25-30% off range when in use).

@DrManhattan Don't worry about spending a few more minutes at Superchargers. Especially since it looks like your charge speed and tapper might match the 75kWh batteries.

I will +1 the comments on the 'D'. You get:
  • A little more speed (tenths off the 0-60)
  • A little more range (8 miles in EPA cycle. Reality on road trips is probably lower.)
  • A little more noise from the extra motor up front (some like hearing it)
  • No change in the frunk space. It is our understanding that all cars have the same now. It is smaller than older cars. Car is big enough for that not to matter much.
In all cases, you get a fantastic car! I strongly encourage you to get the RWD, and reuse the $5k elsewhere. Do NOT order without AP.

• Informative
I want next gen, but hard to justify another 2500 when I'm trying to keep costs low. Hoping the textile will be "good enough".

I'm going to get a D on my Model 3 so that will be our snow car I guess.

I plan on getting AP though.
@DrManhattan you are a smart person. ;-)
The textile seats are actually a mix of textile and leather. I am fine with them, but have never had leather in my cars. I like the fact that the seating surface is not leather when I get back to the car and it has been sitting in CA sun.

I want next gen, but hard to justify another 2500 when I'm trying to keep costs low. Hoping the textile will be "good enough".

I'm going to get a D on my Model 3 so that will be our snow car I guess.

I plan on getting AP though.
Do yourself one more favor budgetwise, check your auto insurance rates before pulling the trigger. The seat upgrade my seem affordable in comparison.