Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kwh to 85kwh is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to upgrade a 2013 model s 60kwh battery to an 85kwh battery at home?
I had an original battery fail and Tesla replaced with a remanufactured battery about 15k miles ago. The issue is that I went from 185 miles of range at 90% to 159 miles of range at 90%. They seem to have software limited the battery and it is time for a change. Since the car is now out of warranty I feel as if I should do all of the maintenance that I am capable of.

I will purchase an 85 battery from a third party.
I understand the procedure to complete this, but I am unfamiliar with how the car would recognize the replaced battery.
Would it be Toolbox 2, Toolbox 3, T-can, or a software redeploy in service mode???
Any and all discussion is welcome.
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Is it possible to upgrade a 2013 model s 60kwh battery to an 85kwh battery at home?
I had an original battery fail and Tesla replaced with a remanufactured battery about 15k miles ago. The issue is that I went from 185 miles of range at 90% to 159 miles of range at 90%. They seem to have software limited the battery and it is time for a change. Since the car is now out of warranty I feel as if I should do all of the maintenance that I am capable of.

I will purchase an 85 battery from a third party.
I understand the procedure to complete this, but I am unfamiliar with how the car would recognize the replaced battery.
Would it be Toolbox 2, Toolbox 3, T-can, or a software redeploy in service mode???
Any and all discussion is welcome.
Thanks all!
At the very least, you’d need air suspension - plus the car’s config files would need changing

At the very least, you’d need air suspension
No you don't. I have a 2014 S85 and intentionally ordered it without the air suspension.

159 miles of range at 90%.
I will start to research the config files now. This must be where they are limiting my range.
I don't think it actually is software limited at all. 159 rated miles at 90% sounds like a very normally trashed S60, as I would expect. The 60 size batteries were set up to be worked extra hard in those cars, and suffered very fast degradation. The firsthand experience expert I would invite into this conversation would be @dgpcolorado , who I think is still driving his 2014 S60 with a lot of miles on it.

As far as switching the configurations, as long as there was a real car configuration that matched the battery configuration you're trying to go to, that apparently is fairly easy to switch for someone who knows how to get into the software to make changes. So 60 to 85 should be fine, since the hardware was around the same era.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity have you priced getting an 85kw battery? I have a feeling that this project might be cost prohibitive.
I ordered a battery today that will be shipped in a few days. I'm looking to do the recon after the fact. I know that is bass-ackward, but I'm hoping that the stars align before it arrives. If not... I can drive with the 60 until I have it figured out.

Just my 2 cents that you didn't ask for - have you considered waiting until your current pack is dead before replacing it?

Sure, it's not great range, but it's still fairly valuable hardware.

Anyway, what's 26 Tesla miles really worth? 15 miles? 🤪
Those are great questions. The service manager suggested the same thing. Run the battery until it dies then buy a new one after. That worked for a while, but the charging is super slow and I have to stop a lot.
It is fine around town. I only need it while driving far distances. I have now decided to either sell the 60 to someone that wants/needs one. If that doesn't happen in a few months I can always add the 60 to my solar backup battery.

Also I am secretly hoping that the range on the 85 pack will give me at least 220 miles rated which will be 43 more miles than I currently have. It doesn't sound like a lot until you have to stop and charge in Baker Ca., then 50 miles later at Primm Nv., (mountain pass is a long, huge incline) then 50 miles later at home.