Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

62.8 Hz at 92%?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got them to lower maximum frequency to 61% which is an improvement. At least my switches won't go haywire and burn out but communication fails at anything above 60.4Hz. The bigger issue is that at a high SOC above 90%, the output will STAY at 61Hz even when the inverter is off. They said this is intentional to keep the solar inverter from cycling above 90% :(

Congrats on getting them to lower the max frequency.

Maybe if the rumored Tesla inverters appear they will have a cleaner way of being turned off instead of the generic raise the frequency. You know something super sophisticated like a relay and wire to the TEG.

I had a real power outage today when my SOC was 82%. The frequency went to 62.4Hz for the entire 17 minute duration of the outage. My Insteon dimmers flashed as they ramped up or down, but are working normally after the power was restored. My UniFi AP is on UPS but my DreamMachine is not. There was no internet interruption.

I had a real power outage today when my SOC was 82%. The frequency went to 62.4Hz for the entire 17 minute duration of the outage. My Insteon dimmers flashed as they ramped up or down, but are working normally after the power was restored. My UniFi AP is on UPS but my DreamMachine is not. There was no internet interruption.
Strange it went to 62.4 Hz the entire time since you were at 82%. I could see it ramping up as the percentage reached into the 90s, but 82% seem too early.

My UDM and all Unifi switches, APs, etc are all on a rack mount ups. Thinking of upgrading to the UDM-Pro.

Did they take it down to 61Hz. I asked for that but they said they cannot go below 62 Hz.

Yes. She said she couldn't go lower than 62%(the tech on the phone). I explained that if I'm on backup power and the frequency is that high and I have water leak in my house, the leak sensor signals will fail to get to my ISY which means my my ISY won't shut off the whole house water valve which could result in severe water damage. She paused for a few moments and said she'd need to get special permission to go lower than 62. She put the on site tech on hold for about 10 minutes and then came back and asked him to go off grid again at which point it rose to 60.5 Hz at 95% and didn't go any higher. Presumably it would be 61Hz at near 100%.

61hz seems to be low enough to not cause issues with other electronics and the USPs aren't going into backup mode like they did at 62Hz or higher. I suspect if I replaced all of my older Insteon with newer ones this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

He shut the grid off at 87%. Powerwall frequency shot up to 64Hz instantly and the solar inverter shut off. After 5 minutes, the powerwall frequency was STILL at 63Hz. Totally unacceptable. At the very least it should have gone back down to 60 Hz as soon as the solar inverter shut off.

This is what I was (poorly) trying to say earlier in the thread about what frequency would be output, when you were talking about ramping. Glad you got them to lower it, and im surprised they lowered it to 61%. Most others have only been able to get tesla to lower it to 62% even if they have equipment impacted by that number.

Well drat. With the changes they made, I just tested backup mode at 84% and the frequency instantly goes down to 59.6Hz. It's never gone below 60Hz off grid. So now it's either above 60.4Hz or below 60.7Hz 100% of the time regardless of the SOC when off grid. I think this is actually worse than before they did anything.

Wish I could have stayed on 1.50.1 :(

Well drat. With the changes they made, I just tested backup mode at 84% and the frequency instantly goes down to 59.6Hz. It's never gone below 60Hz off grid. So now it's either above 60.4Hz or below 60.7Hz 100% of the time regardless of the SOC when off grid. I think this is actually worse than before they did anything.

Wish I could have stayed on 1.50.1 :(
That is a behavior I saw before PTO (and before 1.50 rolled out) that the frequency remained below 60 HZ (often 59.4-59.7) when I was operating in an extended off-grid situation. It did not cause major issues for us (just things like the microwave/stove clock getting off) but it was odd.

Maybe if the rumored Tesla inverters appear they will have a cleaner way of being turned off instead of the generic raise the frequency. You know something super sophisticated like a relay and wire to the TEG.
Turning inverters off by frequency manipulation is a standard in the industry so I doubt the Tesla inverter will be any different.

Enphase claims its new IQ inverters uses something else, not frequency manipulation but I am unable to get any answer how it is controlled to turn off. No tech data sheet explanation, nothing. All I get is PLC, power line communications. That is not a means of turning it off, it is a comm link using the 240V cables to send message of some sorts.