TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$650 for brake caliper paint?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hanl1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. hanl1

hanl1 Member

I couldn't find any other quotes on the forum to compare, but it does sound a bit high to me. This is regular paint + clear coat, not powercoating and does not require taking the calipers off.

On the other hand, a nearby shop that only does powercoating quotes me 2.4K for the job, and won't reduce the price even after I pointed out that it cost about the same for me to get a new set of calipers from Tesla directly..

Anyone has had any experience?

2. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I had mine done for $900. I've had multiple quotes in the same range.

$2.4k is ridiculous. Run away.

3. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what color is your car and the brakes?
    Enjoyed your web app, by the way :)

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Where are you located? $650 is very expensive for paint and 2.4k for powder coating is ridiculous. You can have an entire set of wheels powdercoated for $300-$400 bucks... yes there is labor associated wit powder coating calipers (i.e: stripping them down and rebuilding them afterwards) but 2.4 is ridiculous.

5. hanl1

hanl1 Member

I am in the east coast CT/NY area. I'm gonna ask around for more quotes but not all shops do this apparently.

6. njxman

njxman Member

I had my calipers plastidipped in bright red for $300 plus another $10 for the Tesla caliper decals from eBay.

7. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

couple of members here got it painted red for $400. this was end of 2016 and in orange county, CA, so prob on the higher end of the cost spectrum.

8. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Hey seeing that you are from NJ do you mind telling me where you got it done?

9. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Powder coated wheels + calipers painted with logo for $950 (quoted)

10. Magomboman

Magomboman Supporting Member

image.jpeg Calipers removed cost $500 in Va Beach...

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

That price is a total rip-off. You might want to check out this thread. I had mine powdercoated for $850, including decals. More than a year later they still look like new.

12. dhcp

dhcp Member

I still don't understand why on earth just getting the calipers painted costs so much - they don't even have to come off the car? Is there some temp-paint issue or something I'm missing?

I could see how powder-coating would cost more but just straight-up paint costing $600+ ?? It seems to be a common quoted price but what exactly makes it more expensive than painting anything else on a car?

Earl Scheib, I think we have a new business for you ("Any Tesla, $99 paints all your calipers!")

13. njxman

njxman Member

I can't figure out how to send you a Private message on this forum. Maybe you can send me a PM and I can respond. Here's a picture of the job he did in the meantime:

IMG_0171.JPG

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Do it yourself cost ... priceless :cool:

upload_2017-2-21_21-13-38.png

• Like x 4
  15. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Better stopping power with (shop or)self-painted red calipers?

I like the gray calipers that come with the car.

• Funny x 1
  16. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Better eye stopping power, in my opinion ;)

17. Scabrera22

Scabrera22 New Member

Can I please get the business info on the place that does caliper painting as shown on the photo you posted? I’m in the Williamsburg area.