Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$650 for brake caliper paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find any other quotes on the forum to compare, but it does sound a bit high to me. This is regular paint + clear coat, not powercoating and does not require taking the calipers off.

On the other hand, a nearby shop that only does powercoating quotes me 2.4K for the job, and won't reduce the price even after I pointed out that it cost about the same for me to get a new set of calipers from Tesla directly..

Anyone has had any experience?

Where are you located? $650 is very expensive for paint and 2.4k for powder coating is ridiculous. You can have an entire set of wheels powdercoated for $300-$400 bucks... yes there is labor associated wit powder coating calipers (i.e: stripping them down and rebuilding them afterwards) but 2.4 is ridiculous.

Where are you located? $650 is very expensive for paint and 2.4k for powder coating is ridiculous. You can have an entire set of wheels powdercoated for $300-$400 bucks... yes there is labor associated wit powder coating calipers (i.e: stripping them down and rebuilding them afterwards) but 2.4 is ridiculous.

I am in the east coast CT/NY area. I'm gonna ask around for more quotes but not all shops do this apparently.

image.jpeg
Calipers removed cost $500 in Va Beach...

I couldn't find any other quotes on the forum to compare, but it does sound a bit high to me. This is regular paint + clear coat, not powercoating and does not require taking the calipers off.

On the other hand, a nearby shop that only does powercoating quotes me 2.4K for the job, and won't reduce the price even after I pointed out that it cost about the same for me to get a new set of calipers from Tesla directly..

Anyone has had any experience?

That price is a total rip-off. You might want to check out this thread. I had mine powdercoated for $850, including decals. More than a year later they still look like new.

I still don't understand why on earth just getting the calipers painted costs so much - they don't even have to come off the car? Is there some temp-paint issue or something I'm missing?

I could see how powder-coating would cost more but just straight-up paint costing $600+ ?? It seems to be a common quoted price but what exactly makes it more expensive than painting anything else on a car?

Earl Scheib, I think we have a new business for you ("Any Tesla, $99 paints all your calipers!")