Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

664km trip with a Roadster through Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
Hi all,

After waiting a long time, tomorrow my colleague will get his Roadster.

Next week we will go to the World Hosting Days in Germany, from our office it's a 664km trip.

After some joking around today we thought: Could we do this in the Roadster?

Assuming a average speed of 120km/h, we would get about 250km on a charge, so we will need two charges to get there.

When browsing through Lemnet.org I saw that there are a lot of 32A charging stations in Germany (Mennekes). With the mobile connector we would be able to charge there with 32A, wouldn't we?

If we leave on monday morning around 06:00, we should be able to reach our destination.

Would this be possible? 32A charging (30A) with a 85% efficiency charges the pack with 5865Wh per hour, about 30KM per hour (190Wh/KM).

It might seem a bit crazy to do such a trip when you just got the car, but hey, it's a car which is meant to be driven, isn't it?

Any drivers around here who have experience with the German charging stations? Is there a list of High power chargers (63A)?

i just did 660km from luzern, switzerlnd to bad kissingen. lower frankonia via munic. i had the chance to charge at tge hpc in feldkirchen, austria and in munic, tesla store, both with 64A. But you cannot use the charging station of RWE becaue they have the 7pin Mennekes socket and its not compatibel with the tesla UMC. you have try to find the red CEE socket with 32A. you will get 20km per hour charge. if you go not faster then 90km/h you can do the ideal range. dont forget do charge in range mode and increase the tire pressure to range level

Hi all,

After waiting a long time, tomorrow my colleague will get his Roadster.

Next week we will go to the World Hosting Days in Germany, from our office it's a 664km trip.

Assuming a average speed of 120km/h, we would get about 250km on a charge, so we will need two charges to get there.

When browsing through Lemnet.org I saw that there are a lot of 32A charging stations in Germany (Mennekes). With the mobile connector we would be able to charge there with 32A, wouldn't we?

If we leave on monday morning around 06:00, we should be able to reach our destination.

Would this be possible? 32A charging (30A) with a 85% efficiency charges the pack with 5865Wh per hour, about 30KM per hour (190Wh/KM).

It might seem a bit crazy to do such a trip when you just got the car, but hey, it's a car which is meant to be driven, isn't it?

Any drivers around here who have experience with the German charging stations? Is there a list of High power chargers (63A)?
I would make sure first your car is even compatible with Mennekes (both socket and charging protocol). It would suck to get there and not be able to charge. The thread below is probably more useful to you. It seems to say as long as you have the proper connector, you can charge at 16A, but for higher power you need to connect the control signals.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5159-Conversion-Tesla-Adapter-to-Mennekes-socket

I'm willing to bet it's more. Mennekes defaults to 16A if no signal is present at the car end (e.g. If plugged into a domestic outlet), but to plug into Mennekes EVSE a presence signal must be seen to get it to close its contractors, so they can signal for higher currents.

The picture I posted in the other thread shows an orange cable that's very similar to the one on the Mini chargers. I saw both up close at Frankfurt. Show the representative that picture and see what they say.

How did it go with your trip? did you ever do it? and how did it go with the mennekes adapter? will do a trip from Lausanne (CH) to Malmo sweden in about a month and would like to understand the charging possibilities, notably in Germany and Denmark.