Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#681 wrecked twice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I noticed the salvage title check on #681 seems to list two different collisions resulting in "total loss":
VinCheck

5YJRE1A17A1000681
2010-08-10
2011-02-28

I see it was listed here:
Insurance Auto Auctions: Vehicle Details: Vehicles

showing an odometer of 3816 miles

then here:
http://cars.adloe.com/Salvage-TESLA-ROADSTER-2010_aiobbikkrekakodmndm.html
saying mileage 6,140

The writing on the windshield seems to indicate 12/8/2010

I wonder what the story is? Why two salvage dates?
Did someone repair it after the first crash, and then wreck it again?

This may have two salvage dates listed because of the DOJ National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVITS) reporting requirements. The insurance company will report the salvage date and the auction pool will report the vehicle 30-days after it arrives at their facility and then again when it is sale. The result will be multiple salvage listings

Or someone confused miles for kilometers as 6140 km is about 3816 miles.

Yeah - thats a thought.
Although they put it under the heading mileage.

Also, here:
Tesla (page: 3) | Cheap Used Cars for Sale by Owner
I see it listed as "6,140 mi."

While searching, I came across this other listing which says it is a Tesla Roadster but clearly is not:
http://www.usedcarsonnet.com/used/2009/TESLA/ROADSTER/in-SAN-DIEGO-CA-USA/tkotLLotoLitNLZkFPiF

It lists mileage as 7,608 but the ODO photo shows 4,728 which is also kms vs miles.
It seems these salvage auctions get "link scraped" and reposted with mistakes. Perhaps some of these sites are scraping sites meant for non-US vistors, and mixing it back in with their US listed vehicles. So, yeah, I think someone did do a miles to kms conversion along the way then someone else lost track of that fact.

Last edited:
My brother in law recently tried to purchase a used vehicle, and found an astonishing percentage of online listings were fraudulent.

Agreed. While waiting for my flight to SFO to check out a Roadster on Ebay I logged onto Cars.com to see what other Roadsters that were on the market. I was surprised to see the same vehicle I was going to inspect (with the same photos/description lifted from the Ebay listing) but with a different state location had been posted that morning with a $45K price tag! I was relieved to be met at the airport by the real owner in the real Tesla.

Agreed. While waiting for my flight to SFO to check out a Roadster on Ebay I logged onto Cars.com to see what other Roadsters that were on the market. I was surprised to see the same vehicle I was going to inspect (with the same photos/description lifted from the Ebay listing) but with a different state location had been posted that morning with a $45K price tag! I was relieved to be met at the airport by the real owner in the real Tesla.

Did you buy it?

All

I wanted to consider purchasing Roadster #681 as a project to get my son involved in restoriing a car and genrally interested in something. I signed up to bid on this car and contacted Tesla to see if they could tell me what was needed to make it whole.

The only informatino I could gleen was that the dealer put it on consignment and it would not run. It had not been wrecked, according to Copart.

What an eye opener. someone obviously beat me to the punch. They must have known what was needed to make this car whole again. four bidders, two in Georgia, one in Ontario and one in Michagan with the first bid at $25,250!.

The final bid was $36,750 plus a 7% buyers premium, putting it at $39,322. Then you have to add shipping and sales tax.

From the other thread it would only be at salvage auction if the repair costs were more than half the value. The value is listed as $90,000, thus the repair cost should be over $45,000.

Quite the "fixer upper"

anyone else have any thought.

By the way, I am still looking for a project car.....:smile:

All

I wanted to consider purchasing Roadster #681 as a project to get my son involved in restoriing a car and genrally interested in something. I signed up to bid on this car and contacted Tesla to see if they could tell me what was needed to make it whole.

The only informatino I could gleen was that the dealer put it on consignment and it would not run. It had not been wrecked, according to Copart.

What an eye opener. someone obviously beat me to the punch. They must have known what was needed to make this car whole again. four bidders, two in Georgia, one in Ontario and one in Michagan with the first bid at $25,250!.

The final bid was $36,750 plus a 7% buyers premium, putting it at $39,322. Then you have to add shipping and sales tax.

From the other thread it would only be at salvage auction if the repair costs were more than half the value. The value is listed as $90,000, thus the repair cost should be over $45,000.

Quite the "fixer upper"

anyone else have any thought.

By the way, I am still looking for a project car.....:smile:

You could buy a working used one for maybe $20,000 less than that and still use it as a project car to upgrade the brakes, headlights to XID...etc and still come out ahead. Sounds like you would have spent a lot of money on the other one.

Welcome to TMC (Tesla Motors Club) as well!

...It had not been wrecked, according to Copart...

Really?!

Earlier listing:
wreck2.jpg

More recent listing:
http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-tesla-roadster-2010-MTg3OTk4ODI
681b.jpg

681c.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the photos. I tried to find them but couldn't.

Although I don't have proof, from my discussion with the lady at Copart who indicated it was not a wrecked salvage title she held, perhaps it is a battery failure. She indicated it would not run. I would guess that after the wreck, it was repaired and then sold. Only later to suffer some other mechanical failure, perhaps it "bricked" the battery and then is sold as a mechanical salvage title. She did say it did not show any damage suggestive of a wreck. As battery packs are $40,000+ that would put the cost near at ~$80,000 for this car. Assuming nothing else was damaged.

Heavily wrecked Roadsters have always been selling in the $45K range. I have also heard that Tesla themselves have been buying ones they feel have usable parts or can be put back on the road.

It's probably not going to be a "cheap" resto car for a long time. There are thousands of home mechanics who would want the fastest stock electric powertrain in the world for their, Project BMW, Sand Rail, Prowler, Smart Car, whatever.