TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

6c's per quarter mile, with some seriously cool regen

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by deonb, Jun 14, 2013.

1. deonb

deonb Active Member

Drag Time released a very cool study on how much it costs to race a Model S:
    http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-model-s-drag-racing-energy-usage-and-cost

There is also a video (first on the page) showing the regen from 114mph back to 0. It's quite impressive to watch it like that. Ordinarily I never get to stare at the speedometer when driving at 114mph :).

PS: I tried figuring out how much a performance gas car would cost for the same run, and the only reference I could find said something about 4 runs per 1.5 gallons. (So $1.50 per run). Anybody have some better numbers?

2. fiksegts

fiksegts Member

looks like it took around 3/4 mile to stop the car with regen only after the 1/4 mile....

3. Zextraterrestrial

Neat. I planned on doing some tests similar to this but just 0-60 - 0 using regen vs no regen to 0. and the distance covered vs power used. I think it is all about the time spent at speeds with drag vs actual acceleration that messes with range some.

4. fiksegts

fiksegts Member

I plan on testing 0-60 MPH at different charge levels of the battery... problem is the coated windshield blocks the GPS signal and makes the VBOX (measuring device) work sporadically...