Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 (2.7.77) to 7.0 (2.9.40)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how the car will know whether the road is acceptable for AutoPilot. I'm guessing major freeways and highways are geofenced?

Interested in seeing how this all plays out.
Quite simply. They won't know. there is no possible way that they could based on the information they currently have available. This guarantees that there will be false positives, which is why I won't take this update.

I hope the divide restriction is not required outside metropolitan areas. I regularly drive through Park County CO, the speed limit on this road is 65 mph. AP currently works great here.

5051597673_d1e2ae0233_b.jpg

Quite simply. They won't know. there is no possible way that they could based on the information they currently have available. This guarantees that there will be false positives, which is why I won't take this update.

Yep... heck, Google maps doesn't even recognize that some of our more recently constructed roads even exist. And when I say recent, I mean within the last 2 years.

Last edited:
To say I'm disappointed by this turn of events would be a massive understatement. Within a few miles of me are a number of well-marked, undivided two- and four-lane Colorado and U.S. highways, some with a fifth, dedicated center turn lane, and all with posted speed limits above 45 miles per hour and as high as 65 mph. Within its well-understood limitations Autosteer works well on these roads now, and yet it seems as though the next time I accept an update I will not be able to use Autosteer on any of them. I will bitch and I will moan, and I won't stop.

In this decision we're seeing another manifestation of Tesla's California-centric thinking: many places outside the Bay Area and LA don't have divided highways every three miles in any direction. I'm a responsible adult who understands the difference between a driver assist feature and true autonomy; let me decide for myself how and when to use it.
Please make sure your feedback gets directly to Tesla.

To say I'm disappointed by this turn of events would be a massive understatement. Within a few miles of me are a number of well-marked, undivided two- and four-lane Colorado and U.S. highways, some with a fifth, dedicated center turn lane, and all with posted speed limits above 45 miles per hour and as high as 65 mph. Within its well-understood limitations Autosteer works well on these roads now, and yet it seems as though the next time I accept an update I will not be able to use Autosteer on any of them. I will bitch and I will moan, and I won't stop.

In this decision we're seeing another manifestation of Tesla's California-centric thinking: many places outside the Bay Area and LA don't have divided highways every three miles in any direction. I'm a responsible adult who understands the difference between a driver assist feature and true autonomy; let me decide for myself how and when to use it.

++1

- - - Updated - - -

Please make sure your feedback gets directly to Tesla.

How do we do that Brian?

Further down the only two other changes I found were a section about the analog clock on the instrument panel and a line added to the Autosteer section reading "Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."
I take it this is a direct reaction to the youtube video claiming that it was "dangerous" when used on a road without a center divider.

How do we do that Brian?
I used to use the general email addresses (servicehelpna was one of them) but in the last couple years that hasn't been very productive.

Lately I email my service center and (when appropriate) ask them to pass the information up the chain.

My general point was that you want to make sure your feedback gets to teslamotors.com (not just teslamotorsclub.com). Yes, they read some threads but direct feedback is better and (sometimes) gets a direct response.

I used to use the general email addresses (servicehelpna was one of them) but in the last couple years that hasn't been very productive.

Lately I email my service center and (when appropriate) ask them to pass the information up the chain.

My general point was that you want to make sure your feedback gets to teslamotors.com (not just teslamotorsclub.com). Yes, they read some threads but direct feedback is better and (sometimes) gets a direct response.

Isn't the "report" function of the voice commands supposed to do this?

+1
Who on earth judges the function of a device by RTFM?
Someone, please just go out for a few DRIVES.
One of the challenges is that I want people like green1 to give feedback but those kind of folks won't give feedback because they'll be avoiding the upgrade.

Open beta is one of the solutions to such challenges. Other things that would help are (a) labelling the version in the firmware update UI and (b) providing some mechanism to revert to previous behavior.

FWIW, other software providers are fighting the same battle. My laptop isn't on Windows 10 because of forced updates. (I don't like having to deal with update drama while travelling -- which is exactly when I use my laptop most.)

Isn't the "report" function of the voice commands supposed to do this?

That's limited to a few seconds, and I believe is supposed to be used for bug reports. The main upside to that is that the time of the report can be tied to the car's logs. And it's an easy way to report something as it happens, while you are driving.

I really don't think that would be the best way to send feedback on a change made to Auto Steer functionality. A well-written e-mail message or even an actual snail-mailed letter would seem to be the better approach to take.