Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging Autoparking:

This following is extracted from the Tesla website. Please note the last sentence.

Autopilot Parking

Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall.

Has anyone experienced that feature? I do not get to superchargers that often, but it would be great to see the car do a perpendicular parking manouver. Or is this yet to be enabled?

p.s. Not to mention the disappearing car summoning feature... What a disgrace...

One thing I don't get about the new brake-hold feature...

How come it gets released when you put your foot BACK onto the brake? What would be the rationale behind that one?

So you take your foot off the brake and enjoy the brake hold, but change your mind and put your foot back on the brake and then...oh hell no brake hold, and I am on a really really steep hill, and there is a really really really expensive Merc almost touching my bumper bar, and and... ...you get the picture...

How come it gets released when you put your foot BACK onto the brake? What would be the rationale behind that one?

So you take your foot off the brake and enjoy the brake hold, but change your mind and put your foot back on the brake and then...oh hell no brake hold, and I am on a really really steep hill, and there is a really really really expensive Merc almost touching my bumper bar, and and... ...you get the picture...
Simple - don't put your foot back on the brake unless you intend to hold it manually.

Reasoning I assume would be that if you want to take manual control of the brake pedal again for any reason that's the best way to do it. If you release using the accelerator you then have to rapidly get your foot back on to the brake. Steep hills etc could be hairy.

That's for people like me, with CREEP on. That way, if I want to creep forwards after turning on brake hold, I can do so without using the (less subtle) accelerator.

Helps when trying to fill the gap that opens when someone in front of you at the lights decides to stop short....and then creep forward...and then stop...and then creep forward...and then stop... (grrr).

- - - Updated - - -

Just re-engage brake hold by pressing down firmly again.

That's for people like me, with CREEP on. ...

Just re-engage brake hold by pressing down firmly again.

Doesn't work, I tried it. The only way to re-engage brake hold is to foot off the brake and then back on again. I suppose in an emergency you could put the car in park. I just don't understand the rationale as to why brake hold would be released when you actually press the brake. In my view that has not been thought out well and should be changed in the next update. I know it's a fussy thing and most people may think, who the hell cares? But I just don't understand what possible conceivable reason there would be to de-activate brake hold when actually pressing the brake... I thought I might be missing something...

I have a very steep driveway and gate. I stop short of the gate while it is opening, then touch the brake to let it roll on downhill. Don't want the accelerator at that time. Full autopilot works best for me in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. simply let it worry about inching you forward and braking and holding. one of its best features, I think.

Turn creep off! You REALLY don't need it. I started my cars career with it on for a couple of months then turned it off to see if the world would fall in. It didn't, and i have been a convert and evangelist ever since.

Doesn't work, I tried it. The only way to re-engage brake hold is to foot off the brake and then back on again. I suppose in an emergency you could put the car in park. I just don't understand the rationale as to why brake hold would be released when you actually press the brake. In my view that has not been thought out well and should be changed in the next update. I know it's a fussy thing and most people may think, who the hell cares? But I just don't understand what possible conceivable reason there would be to de-activate brake hold when actually pressing the brake... I thought I might be missing something...
ZTrekus, I tried it tonight on the way home- one push, hold activates. Push again, turns off. Push again harder- turned on again. I was really happy with it.
maybe there was a tiny amount of car movement that "reset" the hold function? Either way, I like it now....

ZTrekus, I tried it tonight on the way home- one push, hold activates. Push again, turns off. Push again harder- turned on again. I was really happy with it.
maybe there was a tiny amount of car movement that "reset" the hold function? Either way, I like it now....
Remember he has the bloody creep on which probably moves it further. I think the car is designed to work best with creep off.

Mine is tight too. I happen to have a step into the house that is tiled right next to where I park. I move the car mm by mm watching the rear view camera. When a specific grout line comes into view, I stop as I am in precisely the same spot every time. Fine control is possible without creep. I was told that by the Americans when I first got the car and did not believe it. Until I tried it, that is! If you don't have a grout line, just paint a stripe on the ground you can relate to in the rear camera view.
With a bad neck and back, I use the sensors the car has extensively. I can reverse all the way uphill my steep drive using cameras mirrors and sonar. A full 50 m inching my way along. Try it in an open car park on a Sunday. You will be amazed that you actually have MORE control than with creep.

I agree you should have no problems (other than getting used to it), creep off certainly supports very precise movements.

With the new smoother transitions from forward to reverse in 7.0, it's really nice for me having to reverse park up an incline with less than 30cm... Really helps with positioning and adjustments.

I have only 10 cm to play with in my garage. I love the way I can drive at an apparent 0 km/h, using the accelerator rather than creep.

I go in forward, so I drew a line on the garage wall in front of me. When that disappears below the bonnet, I know I am far enough in and about 5 cm from the wall in front and 5 cm from the door at the back.

I certainly didn't buy the S for its precise control at low speeds, but I have found it a very useful feature, especially after driving a manual before.

I have only 10 cm to play with in my garage. I love the way I can drive at an apparent 0 km/h, using the accelerator rather than creep.

I go in forward, so I drew a line on the garage wall in front of me. When that disappears below the bonnet, I know I am far enough in and about 5 cm from the wall in front and 5 cm from the door at the back.

I certainly didn't buy the S for its precise control at low speeds, but I have found it a very useful feature, especially after driving a manual before.

That sounds good, although may not be as precise if you are not the only one driving the car or you dont always sit up at the same position. Another idea I saw a friend do with an extremely tight garage is to have a tennis ball on a string hanging down from the garage roof. When the car is in the right position the tennis ball just touches the front windscreen. Someone else I know screwed down a piece of hardwood on the garage floor where one of the wheels gets to. Not sure how well you'd feel the contact with that in a Tesla.

As for me, I have a workshop bench along the back of my garage. Our car is still on order, but I did some measurements and I come up about 20cm short. So I'm in for some significant garage reorganisation before our car arrives!

You should get a wheelstop and bolt to the floor. Did that for my daughters car which is required to always stop 3cm from the wall.

Tell you one thing I absolutely hate...

when you are reversing and carefully paying attention to the camera image on the middle screen... And half way through the manouver, that image shuts down because for some reason, some idiot programmer thought it more important to tell me, and keep telling me, that a kid in the backseat hasn't connected their seat belt yet or has disconnected it.

I know you can hit the X, but it comes back in 2 seconds... Ok ok warn me about that, fine... But do you have to obliterate the more important reversing camera image while I am still backing out onto a street? Honestly, who thought that one up?