Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not ideal but if that is really the case they should be able to roll out V7 with everything except auto steer activated and activate auto steer with a minor update later. It would still give us the new look, improvements in all other areas and auto park.
One hopes that Malcolm wants it then we should all get it.

Another thought; is there any way to copy the software from car to car?

One wonders if the installation bundle is deleted after an install or kept 'just in case'.

Good point. Anything is possible. A major difference to a regular machine though is that the car is really a network of interconnected ECUs and each software update updates the microcode in them - as we've seen by people needing to 'reboot the door handles'. if you'd have told me 15 years ago that door handles might need a reboot I'd have laughed.

This is probably the best and worst aspects of cars as they move forward. When CAN-BUS came out the security aspects became real since you could hack them easily. With the whole lot connected permanently to the Internet the security needs to be bumped up dramatically. This is all good, other than what it means for 3rd party repairs down the track. The current security in the system will prevent any unauthorised access - and if done properly this should be true even with physical access to the car.

Not much being reported on the USA forums in this regard. There really does appear to have been a major interruption to the roll out. Waiting......
After my 4-year wait, I guess this is not too bad, but still, it would have been nice to be one of the early ones in the circumstances.

Not much being reported on the USA forums in this regard. There really does appear to have been a major interruption to the roll out. Waiting......
After my 4-year wait, I guess this is not too bad, but still, it would have been nice to be one of the early ones in the circumstances.
I completely agree with you. Early waiters should have been rewarded, however that type of thing isn't really in the american culture.

Data Validity

I don't think it matters whether you're on 3G or wifi. At least one Sydney person got v7 over 3G last night. I'm waiting with anticipation. Youtube vids of v7 look pretty cool.
By the way, my latest fave video is Bjorn Nyland's best shots of 2014. Check out drifting up to a supercharger in snow at 1min 15sec:
Tesla Model S: Best shots from 2014 - YouTube

Just to to be clear re all,the comments on 3G or not - does anyone put validity in the data collected at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App. It seems to confirm a bias in how the updated is received.

Just to to be clear re all,the comments on 3G or not - does anyone put validity in the data collected at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App. It seems to confirm a bias in how the updated is received.

Yes but it has no information about why that bias occurs. It could be (and probably is) because more cars are reliably connected for longer periods on wifi than 3G, rather than there being any preference deliberately given to wifi connected vehicles.

There definitely appears to be a halt on the roll out.
We get both a blog post and an email telling us that 7 is here, but it just simply is not. Is it being tweaked and fixed in response to the USA experience? Who knows.
I just wish Tesla would get over itself and start communicating properly with owners. I have said this before, it is a lot easier to deal with something if you know the backstory. Just being left in the dark wondering what is happening is not good for anyone including the company.

There definitely appears to be a halt on the roll out.
We get both a blog post and an email telling us that 7 is here, but it just simply is not. Is it being tweaked and fixed in response to the USA experience? Who knows.
I just wish Tesla would get over itself and start communicating properly with owners. I have said this before, it is a lot easier to deal with something if you know the backstory. Just being left in the dark wondering what is happening is not good for anyone including the company.
Unfortunately, Tesla's ability or wish to communicate is about zero. I went to the TMC Connect in San Francisco in July hoping to get some words of wisdom from Tesla.
We got nothing. Tesla's "communication" person spoke at us for a while. Didn't talk about Tesla; just gave us his life story which was booooring.

Yes - do wish communication was further up the list. I often can't even get an answer to a specific email to the service person in Sydney.

Yes they really don't seem to get the under-promise and over-deliver philosophy. I was quite happy (more or less) to be waiting for 7 until the end of the year when nothing specific had been detailed. But then they come out and say here it is, worldwide rollout over 5 days, and all of a sudden you have a lot of disappointed customers that you needn't have had when that completely fails to happen.