Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word from my DS is that the rollout takes place in random batches over a few weeks. I've reset my expectations accordingly, so any time before Christmas is probably par.
I was told by Tesla Sydney (and I quote):

We are awaiting regulatory approvals before we can deploy 7.0 to owners. We expect approval in the coming weeks.
Once approved, updates are a gradual roll out to existing owners.

So... in other words, each person makes it up as they go along.

I was told by Tesla Sydney (and I quote):

We are awaiting regulatory approvals before we can deploy 7.0 to owners. We expect approval in the coming weeks.
Once approved, updates are a gradual roll out to existing owners.

So... in other words, each person makes it up as they go along.

I suspect that is quite correct (awaiting approval). It's not overly difficult to work out how the handful of aussies got their version either.
Strange how the US approved this before all other countries. Guessing the rest of the world was not given priority in processes by tesla. Tesla will need to start considering themselves as an international supplier if they want major long term success.
To send us that announcement blog, and even yesterday blatently telling the media in Australia that V7 is rolling out, is extremely poor form.

I suspect that is quite correct (awaiting approval). It's not overly difficult to work out how the handful of aussies got their version either.
Strange how the US approved this before all other countries. Guessing the rest of the world was not given priority in processes by tesla. Tesla will need to start considering themselves as an international supplier if they want major long term success.
To send us that announcement blog, and even yesterday blatently telling the media in Australia that V7 is rolling out, is extremely poor form.

i'm interested to know how a handful of Aussies got their version?

Tweet from Heath Walker: "stay tuned for some communication in the coming days regarding release"

Tweet from Heath Walker: "stay tuned for some communication in the coming days regarding release"
Which is marketing talk for "we have a problem and need a few days to compile and focus group test a letter to all owners that hopefully minimises damage"
There is no other reason to wait a few days to communicate.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm interested to know how a handful of Aussies got their version?
Well think about how you could get a copy of V7 before this time last week.

Which is marketing talk for "we have a problem and need a few days to compile and focus group test a letter to all owners that hopefully minimises damage"

- - - Updated - - -

The following from the TM forums may answer that.

We own a AP-equipped S85, that we took delivery of last December. As of today, no sign of V7.0. I called the Sunnyvale SC yesterday, getting mildly concerned that it hasn't shown up. I was told that it could take a week to two for all cars to get it. When still no sign today, I called the 877 number.

Fernando told me that the servers have been upgraded, and the update was sent out to all US cars at the same time last week(!!). Told him mine still hadn't shown up. He showed the car and server were in a continuous handshake mode since last week, but nothing else has occurred. He suggested doing the scroll wheels reboot. I told him I had done the scroll wheel reboot three different times, and there has been no change.

Fernando said he would forcibly disconnect the handshake and then resend it...waiting to see if that makes it work.

If you haven't gotten the update, call (877) 798-3752...

The following from the TM forums may answer that.

We own a AP-equipped S85, that we took delivery of last December. As of today, no sign of V7.0. I called the Sunnyvale SC yesterday, getting mildly concerned that it hasn't shown up. I was told that it could take a week to two for all cars to get it. When still no sign today, I called the 877 number.

Fernando told me that the servers have been upgraded, and the update was sent out to all US cars at the same time last week(!!). Told him mine still hadn't shown up. He showed the car and server were in a continuous handshake mode since last week, but nothing else has occurred. He suggested doing the scroll wheels reboot. I told him I had done the scroll wheel reboot three different times, and there has been no change.

Fernando said he would forcibly disconnect the handshake and then resend it...waiting to see if that makes it work.

If you haven't gotten the update, call (877) 798-3752...
It won't help. There has been no attempted rollout of 7 to Australian cars, and there isn't going to be one in the short term.

- - - Updated - - -

Which raises the question: if there were regulatory hold ups then how was beta testing conducted, unless there is some exemption for that. Seems hard to believe that regulatory approval is left to the last minute in any case, unless there is a specific requirement for the final release version to be scrutinised before approval. Even then, don't announce/release it until that approval has been granted.

Which raises the question: if there were regulatory hold ups then how was beta testing conducted, unless there is some exemption for that. Seems hard to believe that regulatory approval is left to the last minute in any case, unless there is a specific requirement for the final release version to be scrutinised before approval. Even then, don't announce/release it until that approval has been granted.
I don't understand this "regulatory" bit. I asked Tesla Sydney what it was and got ignored.

My speculation for why we don't have v7 yet:

Autosteer is a learning system which means driving data from existing v7 installs is being uploaded to the mothership. Tesla is building a high resolution driving map of the world.

That's a LOT of data, and I suggest that the servers or data pipes dedicated to this task are running at capacity.

Each new car with v7 will initially upload a lot of driving data, but as it travels the same routes, its bandwidth requirements will decrease thus allowing another car to get v7.

Server overload due to an all-too-typical overly ambitious rollout schedule is a much more plausible explanation for the initial v7 wave and now halt than the vague and nebulous "regulatory approval" which has now popped up as the excuse for the stalled rollout.

Telsa - love the car but hate the company's secretive ways.

I’m trying to figure out if (1) the nanny state here has interrupted the autopilot rollout or (2) Tesla themselves have pulled it, realising it’s more beta than anyone realised OR (3) it’s merely a technical distribution hitch.

I’m leaning towards the (1) & (2) combination. Nana has put on her spectacles to have a good look at this new-fangled auto steering ‘beta’ thingy and put the brakes on hard when the IT guy explained the meaning of those 2 words together…steering & beta. Tesla then, maybe pre-empting any stupid headlines, in effect realising there are some lane-keeping logic issues that need to be ironed out for nanny-state markets and that it needs to be confined to the beta testers in those locales until they are resolved.

Far-fetched? Any other possibilities?

I’m trying to figure out if (1) the nanny state here has interrupted the autopilot rollout or (2) Tesla themselves have pulled it, realising it’s more beta than anyone realised OR (3) it’s merely a technical distribution hitch.

I’m leaning towards the (1) & (2) combination. Nana has put on her spectacles to have a good look at this new-fangled auto steering ‘beta’ thingy and put the brakes on hard when the IT guy explained the meaning of those 2 words together…steering & beta. Tesla then, maybe pre-empting any stupid headlines, in effect realising there are some lane-keeping logic issues that need to be ironed out for nanny-state markets and that it needs to be confined to the beta testers in those locales until they are resolved.

Far-fetched? Any other possibilities?

Interesting, I would think one and 2 myself... but when I picked up my car on Friday last week from Richmond, I was told it could roll out to my car in the next 6-12 hours... So could be a post-roll-out interruption?

Interesting, I would think one and 2 myself... but when I picked up my car on Friday last week from Richmond, I was told it could roll out to my car in the next 6-12 hours... So could be a post-roll-out interruption?

Yeah I would have thought that if any nanny approval was required it must already have been obtained for them to be able to roll it out to any customers at all (other than perhaps beta testers). Given rollouts even in the US appear to have all but stopped then I expect this is entirely Tesla holding off for some reason.

Been told by service_help that we should be getting an email explanation "soon". Sounds like a Tesla issue to me. Just wish they would be more up front with us. Could be done by email with an injunction on distributing the information. They NEED to contact us sooner rather than later!!