Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend's biggest gripe about his Tesla is lack of iPod support. That is pretty much standard today. I put up there with no coat hooks. I guess Musk never bring dry cleaning home. I expect to see Car Play on many 2016 cars including the Genesis. I think it wold be a good fit with the Model S but for some reason Tesla is avoiding it.

In the Genesis video there is a statement that they disabled the part of the system that turns it off if you take your hands off the wheel for more than a brief period. Musk said the Model S would take steps to make sure you are alert and give warnings if it thinks you aren't. That sounds safer than disconnecting the system.

Yes, strange there's no direct USB connection
When I first started learning about the Model S back in 2013 I too thought it was strange that there was no direct conection via USB to an iPhone or iPod. But once I got the car and experienced how easy it was to connect via Bluetooth, and how good the connection was, I realized that Tesla had made the right decision.

A friend's biggest gripe about his Tesla is lack of iPod support. That is pretty much standard today. I put up there with no coat hooks. I guess Musk never bring dry cleaning home. I expect to see Car Play on many 2016 cars including the Genesis. I think it wold be a good fit with the Model S but for some reason Tesla is avoiding it.
iPod is just too old and why would you want carplay?

When I first started learning about the Model S back in 2013 I too thought it was strange that there was no direct conection via USB to an iPhone or iPod. But once I got the car and experienced how easy it was to connect via Bluetooth, and how good the connection was, I realized that Tesla had made the right decision.

I agree that it's easy to connect via Bluetooth - but I would argue that without implementing the latest version of bluetooth (which they haven't), you won't get the kind of bandwidth through bluetooth that is essential to reproduce great sounding audio in the car. The premium sound package is a great system, and it demands great sounding music. If you try and stream spotify through bluetooth, it comes out at like what, 64kbps? Whereas the songs that I have on USB are lossless FLAC 24bit files. There is a significant difference.

I think Tesla should have implemented AUX at the very least to allow those of us who just want to use the Tesla speakers as a direct output.

I agree that it's easy to connect via Bluetooth - but I would argue that without implementing the latest version of bluetooth (which they haven't), you won't get the kind of bandwidth through bluetooth that is essential to reproduce great sounding audio in the car. The premium sound package is a great system, and it demands great sounding music. If you try and stream spotify through bluetooth, it comes out at like what, 64kbps? Whereas the songs that I have on USB are lossless FLAC 24bit files. There is a significant difference.

I think Tesla should have implemented AUX at the very least to allow those of us who just want to use the Tesla speakers as a direct output.

Yes, I agree with that completely. Music players (iPod, iPhone, android phone, Pono etc) are frozen out as high quality sound sources. In some ways its just an annoyance as it means copying my music onto myriad USB sticks but why should this be necessary when I can even directly connect in my smart?
Hopefully they do something about this in 7.x

Musk doesn't have teenagers or he would have an AUX jack and it would probably be accessible from the rear seat. My car (wish it was a Tesla) has an AUX jack. My kids get in and want to pair their phones. No way. I want calls to MY phone to be hands free and I want MY phone calls to mute the music. They plug in via the AUX jack. They win but so do I.

Speaking of Musk, he clearly has someone else pick up his dry cleaning or else there would be coat hooks.

Musk doesn't have teenagers or he would have an AUX jack and it would probably be accessible from the rear seat. My car (wish it was a Tesla) has an AUX jack. My kids get in and want to pair their phones. No way. I want calls to MY phone to be hands free and I want MY phone calls to mute the music. They plug in via the AUX jack. They win but so do I.

Speaking of Musk, he clearly has someone else pick up his dry cleaning or else there would be coat hooks.

This is also a good point.

But I think apart from the kids thing, a lot of these issues can be solved through Tesla opening up their APIs to allow 3rd party development.

I would for example LOVE LOVE LOVE Spotify, Soundcloud, Pocketcast apps in my Tesla. Would make me fall in love with the car even more so than I have now...

This is also a good point.

But I think apart from the kids thing, a lot of these issues can be solved through Tesla opening up their APIs to allow 3rd party development.

I would for example LOVE LOVE LOVE Spotify, Soundcloud, Pocketcast apps in my Tesla. Would make me fall in love with the car even more so than I have now...

Well with my BMW i3 I copied all my music to the internal hard drive. There isn't one for the Tesla so I intend on plugging an external hard drive into the USB port and play my music direct from that.

I think when the software recognises a street sign, it should be displayed on the dash to let you know that it has seen it. Similary the projected route of the autopilot should also be projected on the dash or screen overlaying a video image of the changing environment. That way you know it will behave as it drives. Ideally I imagine something like the Terminator that sees in the dark and flashes an outlay over objects that it scans.

I think when the software recognises a street sign, it should be displayed on the dash to let you know that it has seen it. Similary the projected route of the autopilot should also be projected on the dash or screen overlaying a video image of the changing environment. That way you know it will behave as it drives. Ideally I imagine something like the Terminator that sees in the dark and flashes an outlay over objects that it scans.
It does indeed display the road sign it sees.

Hey there is ONE problem with auto pilot which no one has mentioned yet...

The better it is, and the more seamless it is integrated into the driving of the Tesla - the more you will smash your wife's car thinking that the car was supposed to drive itself whilst you were texting....