Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 Regen Reduced? Smoother? Less "Aggressive"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla, if the regen has been modified for smoother deceleration, please allow the driver to have three choices: Low - Medium - High regens in next F/W update.

If I have to brake harder, there is more power that could have been recovered, so I think it's reasonable to have a "strong" setting on the regen option.

If physically possible Tesla should up the max regen amount so I get more regen braking and make that a "Max" setting or something.

I actually wanted STRONGER regen then what I had when I got my car. Not less."

Give me "Aggressive", "Standard", and "Weak", if you would, and let us choose.

So, two questions for everyone saying they want stronger regen, or three levels of regen:

1) Have you taken 30 seconds to vote for that option here as liuping suggested:

What is your top Misc. Feature/Bug Request? - brainstorming and voting | tricider

2) Have you taken five minutes to send Tesla a personal note making the request? If not, you can send requests of that nature to [email protected]

The more owners Tesla hear from that want this, the more likely it is that they will give it to us.

My point in posting this thread originally was NOT that the Regen has been reduced or that it was producing any less power into the battery packs (though that might be true as my meter goes to 50 and rarely does the green line go beyond it) but that it is much less aggressive in its slowing of the vehicle - a trait I frankly became used to and utilized as a way to slow the vehicle without my brakes - a trait I inherently liked when I bought my Tesla.

That being said, I would like it if Tesla allowed the more "aggressive" region if possible (I have read though that the thinking was it put a lot of stress onto the motors in the previous mode - perhaps contributing to the replacing of motor units so maybe they did this on purpose).

Thank you to all for your contributions and knowledge that I am only slightly crazy but that this was not a symptom of that!

I haven't noticed that I use any more braking than pre-v7. Are we sure there is an actual difference? This topic comes up every time a major change is done.
Please see my post mid-page on page 3. I have bench-marked it. No way it went from arriving at a stop light at 5mph from a set distance compared to now at 18+ mph. Same distance, same car, only real change is the firmware (Well, 4 drive units too, but it's the software that controls the regen). And my findings have been mirrored exactly on the many, many, many loaners I have had.

Absolutely no change to regen here. None. I suggest that what people are experiencing may be psychosomatic. Mac forums are famously flooded with threads about their computers feeling "snappier" after every Mac OS update, it's become a meme. The only documented changes to regen in v7 were to the 60 kWh cars.

Tesla, if the regen has been modified for smoother deceleration, please allow the driver to have three choices: Low - Medium - High regens in next F/W update. I would like to control regen for deceleration the same way as I control power for acceleration by applying varying pressure to the pedal with regen set to high.

THIS!

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewhere that 7.0 reduces brake noise. Perhaps the fact that lower regen requires more friction braking keeps the pads and rotors clean for less noise? If you don't use the brakes, they will get noisy. Just a thought. I don't see how software could reduce brake noise otherwise.

On a road trip I did some driving today on my S85 v6.2 alongside a friend's P85 v7.0 (we swapped cars for part of the drive). Unlike AP v7.0 cars, there is no ramp up or extended delay for regen when disengaging cruise when set to standard. It kicks in 1/3 - 1/2 second after disengaging cruise. In my AP P85 v7.0 loaner last week, I would get a much more gradual ramp up after about a two second pause when disengaging cruise.

I suspect why we are seeing differences around some people is because of a couple differences...
1 - S60s got more regen per release notes
2 - AP cars have delay/ramp up for regen when coming off cruise (I don't know if that changed from v6.2)
3 - non-AP cars go full regen almost immediately

So if one perhaps had a #3 scenario and test drove a #2, they would definitely see a difference.

In any event, I experience no change in regen over limited testing between v6.2 and v7.0 on non-AP 85 kWh vehicles.

Last edited:
On a road trip I did some driving today on my S85 v6.2 alongside a friend's P85 v7.0 (we swapped cars for part of the drive). Unlike AP v7.0 cars, there is no ramp up or extended delay for regen when disengaging cruise when set to standard. It kicks in 1/3 - 1/2 second after disengaging cruise. In my AP P85 v7.0 loaner last week, I would get a much more gradual ramp up after about a two second pause when disengaging cruise.

I suspect why we are seeing differences around some people is because of a couple differences...
1 - S60s got my regen per release notes
2 - AP cars have delay/ramp up for regen when coming off cruise (I don't know if that changed from v6.2)
3 - non-AP cars go full regen almost immediately

So if one perhaps had a #3 scenario and test drove a #2, they would definitely see a difference.

In any event, I experience no change in regen over limited testing between v6.2 and v7.0 on non-AP 85 kWh vehicles.
Thanks a lot for your efforts in making the hands-on test comparing S85 v6.2 to P85 v7.0 to AP P85 v7.0 regen performance.
Notable are conditions 2) and 3). From my personal experience I would say that for condition 2) with AP car, regen changed from v6.2 to v7.0

Thanks a lot for your efforts in making the hands-on test comparing S85 v6.2 to P85 v7.0 to AP P85 v7.0 regen performance.
Notable are conditions 2) and 3). From my personal experience I would say that for condition 2) with AP car, regen changed from v6.2 to v7.0

So it could be a case where we all are right! We just were talking about different vehicle conditions. :)

But then how would that explain what islandbayy has experienced?

In another thread (I think, or else I missed it in this thread when skimming), someone posited that the tweaked throttle response meant that the pedal position equates to different regen level now. So full off would be the same, but when the pedal was 2/3 depressed now needed to be 1/2 depressed to get the same regen. Could that be playing a role in islandbayy's drive?

In another thread (I think, or else I missed it in this thread when skimming), someone posited that the tweaked throttle response meant that the pedal position equates to different regen level now. So full off would be the same, but when the pedal was 2/3 depressed now needed to be 1/2 depressed to get the same regen. Could that be playing a role in islandbayy's drive?

I don't think so. In his post he says he is removing his foot from the "Go" pedal completely:

I'm going to paste my response from the Firmware 7 for Classic MS Thread, no sense re-typing it but I added a bit to it as well:

"Regen has been reduced in the firmware 7. I have a benchmark road I test it on.

Fully warmed pack, that is able to take the full regen power, if I remove foot immediately as I pass the 55mph speed limit sign while doing exactly 60, I will be doing 5mph as I approach the stop light. Thats how it was when I got my car (Firmware 4.2 and 4.5). as well as all the loaners I had back in 2013. NOW, however, in the same exact spot, where nothing else has changed, done exactly the same, I arrive at that stop light doing ~18mph in my Classic version car, and with EVERY autopilot loaner I've had, I've arrived at the light doing 25-30mph. My benchmark proves changes were made. I do not like it, I actually wanted STRONGER regen then what I had when I got my car. Not less."

My benchmark shows it's getting turned down. Like I say, no changes, sign is in same place, stop lights haven't gotten closer either.

Don't know what to say. I didn't perceive a difference between our two vehicles today, but it was hardly a controlled test.

Right.

I'm not trying to take sides on this. I was just pretty sure that islandbayy's findings were not consistent with the later statements concerning the differences being across models, etc., and that "everyone could be right."

Some inconsistencies remain!