Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
window-on-the-avc-is-he-has-water-and-is-2752042.png
Clearly not Aja -- he doesn't look chill enough for that :)

Only those who are foolish (anywhere) and law-breaking (in many jurisdictions). Don't leave kids or pets in the car. Period.

It isn't a matter of being foolish. It's about how our brains are wired to do routine tasks without conscious input from us and how a confluence of a bunch of factors can coalesce into an incredibly tragic accident by short circuiting our brains. There are some excellent articles and studies available online about the phenomenon.

I think that RogerHScott is thinking about people who intentionally leave kids or pets in cars while running into the store, while mhan00 is addressing parents who forget that their kids are in rear-facing car seats. This is a matter of some interest to me: a friend of mine, who is a pediatrician, left her son in a car during a work day, and the child died. I've kept up with this literature somewhat since then.

I looked up one pretty decent recent review (Pubmed ID#20204546) that looked in cases in the US 1999-2007. There were 231 fatalities from hot cars overall. 192 of them came from children being left unattended. (In the others, the children got into the cars themselves.) Of the kids who were left unattended, 76% were clearly UNintentional. So like mhan00 implies, most of the time these tragedies come from forgetfulness, rather than conscious bad choices.

I realize that one can make an argument that boils down to "nobody should EVER forget that, and so by definition it's the parent's fault." I'm not really interested in having that argument, because it's clear that parents DO, occasionally, forget. And if a technological fix like this can prevent these deaths, sign me up.

Do you have 8.0 installed? Is Nav okay now? That's not the reports I'm hearing. Same with MP. All these nagging issues would be solved with CarPlay and leave Tesla's development team free for other things.

I have 8.0 installed. Nav is working great for me.
And one new feature I really dig is ability to listen to podcasts from the 17" screen. So instead of subscribing to them on my phone, remembering to download them, now I can just .. well . listen to them in my car, over freebie internet.

Also, I am sure when Tesla decides to implement carplay, Apple would enforce conditions on Tesla.
- Licensing ($) - so it may not be a free update.
- Apple may request Tesla that carplay be the only mechanism, i.e. Tesla cannot run autopilot software in parallel to carplay.

My point is, there are probably some very good reasons why carplay hasn't been implemented, I think Elon knows we want carplay.

Sans carplay, if as a free update, we got screen mirroring, media browsing from phone, notification integration, and "send address to car" - I'd be happy.

I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos showing CarPlay operation, but basically it creates a simplified version of your phone on the center screen. Just some examples: Voice announcement of message rx, followed by the option to read it, followed by the option of dictating a response, voice searches of podcasts, music, etc., voice search of navigation points with automated routing, etc.

There is one unfortunate failing, relating to the conflict of interest Apple vs Google. Siri want to use Apple Maps...but other than that, it truly allows effective use of your phone, without ever fumbling with the device. In fact, you basically stash it into the console when you get in, and forget about it, until you leave the vehicle. Very big plus for addressing the distracted driving issue.

Reactions: Chopr147
Can you elaborate on this capability? Is there a way to access the podcasts already on my phone? Can I download to the car?

You don't need to download. Just search for a podcast you regularly listen to, and hit the heart button to favorite it.
Next time you can just play it, it live streams the latest available episode. No downloading needed, it downloads off of the internet on demand. Basically the podcast app is built into Tesla now.

Is this an "always on" thing, or does it have to be enabled? One may waste your battery for nothing, the other requires about as much work as the existing mechanism (chances are you're not leaving your dog or kids alone in the car for hours, and the existing mechanism works for 30 minutes). Either way, using this feature and leaving a child or dog in the car is going to put you at high risk of having your windows smashed in by a passer-by.

What existing mechanism? When I get out of the car, even while supercharging, climate control shuts off and interior temp starts climbing. I have seen people post complicated means of keeping it on - sit in passenger seat and press climate button, leave door only partially closed, etc., but how an you passively get 30 minutes of AC?

Also the cabin overheat protection thing is on by default. I feel it shouldn't be. I don't mind the car overheating if nobody is inside, but I do mind it chewing up batteries. There should be an option, controllable by phone, "Keep car at 76F for the next 2 hours" .. etc.
For the safety concious and forgetfullness of parents it is better to be on as a default. I will see if it eats much battery and decide whether to turn it off or not. For now i'll leave it on. As crazy as it sounds parents do forget their child is in the car, I have seen it happen and often dog owners may not realize how hot a cars interior can get.

I have 8.0 installed. Nav is working great for me.
And one new feature I really dig is ability to listen to podcasts from the 17" screen. So instead of subscribing to them on my phone, remembering to download them, now I can just .. well . listen to them in my car, over freebie internet.

Also, I am sure when Tesla decides to implement carplay, Apple would enforce conditions on Tesla.
- Licensing ($) - so it may not be a free update.
- Apple may request Tesla that carplay be the only mechanism, i.e. Tesla cannot run autopilot software in parallel to carplay.

My point is, there are probably some very good reasons why carplay hasn't been implemented, I think Elon knows we want carplay.

Sans carplay, if as a free update, we got screen mirroring, media browsing from phone, notification integration, and "send address to car" - I'd be happy.

Has the EQ been upgraded at all? Only have 3 broad frequency ranges to adjust is pretty lackluster currently.

Is this an "always on" thing, or does it have to be enabled? One may waste your battery for nothing, the other requires about as much work as the existing mechanism (chances are you're not leaving your dog or kids alone in the car for hours, and the existing mechanism works for 30 minutes). Either way, using this feature and leaving a child or dog in the car is going to put you at high risk of having your windows smashed in by a passer-by.

If anything, this sounds more like a feature designed solely to grab headlines than an actual useful feature. In my opinion, anyway. And I have both kids and dogs.

I know the feature has been requested by owners. In some ways it makes sense right now as a backup in case someone uses the app to turn on the A/C, but then forgets to re-engage it after 30 min. I don't expect the feature to be entirely that useful until 8.1 when it adds the ability to set the temp.

What existing mechanism? When I get out of the car, even while supercharging, climate control shuts off and interior temp starts climbing. I have seen people post complicated means of keeping it on - sit in passenger seat and press climate button, leave door only partially closed, etc., but how an you passively get 30 minutes of AC?

Turn it on from the app.

I'm glad to see the trip meter improvement. I want to see other AP improvements in lane recognition and steering. I want to see the improvements to braking smoothness due to seeing two cars ahead. However, I always respond to the nags and do not want any additional nags. I agree about the nags should only be there when the car needs help, and not a timed nag when the car doesn't need assistance. Pending additional data accumulated on how 8.0 actually behaves with the nags, I will not be updating my car...

The other updates to nav & the media player don't appeal to me. I don't want to have the top icons disappear while I'm driving. That means an additional distraction to try to switch what's on the screen. I want the ability to plug in my iPhone or iPad for music, the option to have the car read text messages to me that arrive while I'm driving and the option to program multiple waypoints into the nav system. None of those issues were addressed. I'm very disappointed in what 8.0 actually contains.

I have this exact same experience. I have always assumed that it's like this for everyone, but from some of the other posts in this thread, maybe I'm wrong. Do others find that simply resting their hands comfortably on the bottom of the wheel is sufficient to avoid the "Hold Steering Wheel" prompt or to dismiss it when it appears?

For me, even though I'm always holding the wheel, I still get the prompt on every curve, and I have to "jiggle" the wheel to make it go away.

I keep one hand comfortably resting on the bottom of the wheel and never get a nag. This has been the same since AP was originally released for me. Interesting that others have a different experience.