Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
msnow bought his car last fall, and I didn't buy mine until this summer. He wanted everyone to know that, so please acknowledge him. I have no right to complain that the nags are going from whatever they are now (almost never) to 1-3 minutes because he liked the band before they were cool.

BTW, for those that dislike the 5mph over limit, I noticed something interesting that might be a slight hack while I was reviewing the 7.0->7.1->8.0 changes. If you set the units to km instead of mi, the limit is 10km/h over and thus becomes 61.5mph instead of 60 on a 55mph zone. I tried it this morning and it does seem to work.
You missed the point which was when you took delivery of your car you knew exactly what you were getting which is different than what you said, thus disingenuous or untruthful, that's all ;)

BTW, for those that dislike the 5mph over limit, I noticed something interesting that might be a slight hack while I was reviewing the 7.0->7.1->8.0 changes. If you set the units to km instead of mi, the limit is 10km/h over and thus becomes 61.5mph instead of 60 on a 55mph zone.
That's it! We just need to lobby Tesla for a more "inclusive" choice of units. Furlongs per fortnight, anyone? ;)

if you have your hand(s) on the wheel AND you get a nag then I'm right behind you in wanting to get that improved. But that apart the nags will not bother you, is that right?

Exactly right. If I have my hand on the wheel, and now need to tug the thing to 'prove' that every minute as I go down the highway, the system starts to lose its value.

msnow, this is a clear change from 7.1 rarely requiring nags to 8.0 at much smaller intervals. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that. Let's say the system correctly identifies my hand resting at the base of the wheel 4 out of 5 times. Presently, that results in a nag every 45min to an hour of freeway travel. Totally acceptable. Now, if under 8.0 it results in a nag every 5th minute, that is totally unacceptable. I understand that nags didn't exist prior to 7.1, blah, blah. But how can you not acknowledge this is a change to the usability of the system.

Reactions: davidc18
Exactly right. If I have my hand on the wheel, and now need to tug the thing to 'prove' that every minute as I go down the highway, the system starts to lose its value.

msnow, this is a clear change from 7.1 rarely requiring nags to 8.0 at much smaller intervals. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that. Let's say the system correctly identifies my hand resting at the base of the wheel 4 out of 5 times. Presently, that results in a nag every 45min to an hour of freeway travel. Totally acceptable. Now, if under 8.0 it results in a nag every 5th minute, that is totally unacceptable. I understand that nags didn't exist prior to 7.1, blah, blah. But how can you not acknowledge this is a change to the usability of the system.
I don't have the update yet but to my knowledge no one has said it requires more torque than 7.1 so unless that's been changed we can put that to bed.
As for 7.1, I just rest my elbow on the armrest (left or right) with a couple of fingers and my thumb wrapped lightly around the wheel and I get zero nags. Could it be that this whole thing for you is a simple calibration fix from the Service Center? I swear I'm not tugging it, just a light enough hold to feel what it's doing. If that's all it is and they can fix it then you'll be able to enjoy 8.0 with everyone else.

I asked about checking how the torque sensing was calibrated and if it could be checked last week while our MS was in for a minor fix. Their answer was that the seemed to be working okay. They had no way to test the AP torque sensing so the took it for a test drive. If someone has more helpful information please share. I would love to have the system detect my lightly resting hand on the wheel, which it currently does not.

I don't think it requires more torque, just requires that torque signature to be seen more often...according to sources like the initial post.

If you put my personal experience and your personal experience aside, you will see there are many comments from others that have incorrect nagging warnings despite their hands on the wheel. Just like the famous soda can trick, I try to adjust my grip to include some resistance to minimize nags, but I still occasionally get them. And the point is that this now becomes a more serious issue. Can I further adjust my hold without inducing the ping-pong feedback? perhaps...but I hate to update only to find that I really can't get back to the minimal and non intrusive level of 7.1. That would suck. So I wait for more first hand comments...

I asked about checking how the torque sensing was calibrated and if it could be checked last week while our MS was in for a minor fix. Their answer was that the seemed to be working okay. They had no way to test the AP torque sensing so the took it for a test drive. If someone has more helpful information please share. I would love to have the system detect my lightly resting hand on the wheel, which it currently does not.
I'm sure the Tesla engineers in Fremont know exactly how much resistance is required but we only have access to our local SvC's who unfortunately have no knowledge of details like that. I wonder if that pressure is logged.

I'm sure the Tesla engineers in Fremont know exactly how much resistance is required but we only have access to our local SvC's who unfortunately have no knowledge of details like that. I wonder if that pressure is logged.
Steering wheel torque values should be available on Service Diagnostic Page. If not, it should definitely be added. Service centers are going to get a lot of complaints form people who are getting the nag, even while holding the wheel.

My preferred AP "resting" hold seem to work fine on 7.1, so I assume it will work on 8.0. For those who it doesn't, I think they should definitely request service check the sensor.

+1.

Without AP, you take your hands off the wheel, and the car (if properly aligned) will continue straight, at least for a while. Chances are you're not going to keep your hands off the wheel a long time, thus the famous "knee steering manouver". Now, with AP, you are one software bug away from a sharp turn, into the guardrail, off the cliff, incoming traffic, take your pick. All software has bugs. Why in the world would you want to bet your property or life that you'll never hit one of those bugs?

I was reminded of this just two days ago. I-405, good daytime visibility, clear lane markings, running in HOV lane, busy traffic in all lanes, gentle curve left; AP decided to cross the double yellow lines into normal traffic lanes. Had I not had hands on the wheel, I might not have been able to take control fast enough to avert trouble.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Steering wheel torque values should be available on Service Diagnostic Page. If not, it should definitely be added. Service centers are going to get a lot of complaints form people who are getting the nag, even while holding the wheel.

My preferred AP "resting" hold seem to work fine on 7.1, so I assume it will work on 8.0. For those who it doesn't, I think they should definitely request service check the sensor.
As another data point I have the steering sensitivity setting at "standard". Not sure if that impacts the nag or not but thought I'd throw it out there.

As another data point I have the steering sensitivity setting at "standard". Not sure if that impacts the nag or not but thought I'd throw it out there.
That's a really interesting point. If that is, in fact, a variable then it could explain all of the perceived differences in hands-on-wheel
detection sensitivity. It would be helpful if people would report their steering settings and, on a 0-10 scale, how close to "sufficiently"
sensitive they find hands-on-wheel detection to be. I'll start: "sport" setting, 7 (I don't have 8.0 yet).