Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for linking to the AP8.0 video, but unfortunately it doesn"t show much. I still wasn't able to find a single review of the AP upgrade that talks about the nagging. Either only 10% of Tesla owners actually use the AP (which I suspect), or it only has rolled out extremely limited. Dunno.
And what is Mr Musk, CEO of Tesla doing while an ever increasing amount of his customers gets agitated about service scalability problems, car quality issues and software issues? He's heading to Guadalajara to talk about how to shuttle humans to Mars...

Reactions: Zybd1201
Through a very simple means, I don't get nags, and haven't for some time. With 8.0, I'll keep doing things how I've always done things, and will likely continue to not get nags. And when you don't get any nags, you can actually see how good the system is. Initially, the car was unpredictable, needed me to take over pretty frequently. I've now done several multi-hour drives with no nags, and more often than not, don't need to touch the wheel. I also feel perfectly safe keeping my hands off the wheel, but always paying attention, and very close by.

My point is that it's been a while now, and we're getting further and further from what Elon promised. When AP was announced, there was no mention of having to keep your hands on the wheel, and in fact, he advertised that you wouldn't. With each update, we get more limits on AP. The speed restriction may have been the worst of them all. But what I feel is much worse is how much time has gone by without any meaningful changes - without the changes that people ask for time and time again and affect the usability of the car.

They keep making incremental changes to AP, some of which have been nice, but others which take away functionality. They now made the media player look a bit nicer and updated a few icons, acted like it was huge news. But can they please devote a person or two, full time, to the maps app? Or really anything other than autopilot?

To me, this update seems a lot like putting lipstick on a pig. And even then, it could use a lot more lipstick.

...To me, this update seems a lot like putting lipstick on a pig. And even then, it could use a lot more lipstick.

Have to say I have never considered my MS a pig.

Actually I dont believe I have ever bought a pig of a car, then gone onto a forum to publish that I bought a pig and actually that I should have done more reeaserch before buying.

Thinking on it some more, I don't seem to recall buying anything ever based on some totally unspecified UI and feature update,
I sort of believe that you pay for what you buy at the time you buy it.

In the case of Tesla you are buying into concept that Tesla (somewhat uniquely) may deliver significant updates, and some changes I may like more than others, and you know I am quite happy to roll with that.

I am even quite happy that not everything is updated at once, it is hugely improved in many areas than when I bought it, I can't say that for any other car I have ever owned.

I can sit at my computer and with great chilish anticipation await my phone to go ping there is another Tesla update, I can even check my router to see if there is data downloading to the car. It is actually rather fun, and no other car can do this for me.

Elon has already trailled further improvements coming soom in V8.1 and hinted at Nav improvements. I bought the car knowing the Nav limitations, if they were show-stoppers I wouldn't have bought the car. I would love the improvements to come as soon as possible, who wouldn't, but they will keep coming, and no other auto manufacturer offer that.

Really, no pigs and no lipstick here.

Have to say I have never considered my MS a pig.

Actually I dont believe I have ever bought a pig of a car, then gone onto a forum to publish that I bought a pig and actually that I should have done more reeaserch before buying.
The car is great. If my lease was up, I'd likely buy another. The UI, however, is not so great, and this has been commented on many times (mostly around the release of 7.0). While I'm glad they updated the media player UI, they ignored a lot of other things that I think most owners would have rated more important.
Elon hinted at further improvements for 8.1, but maybe you've already forgotten about the major improvements he promised in 7.1, which never materialized? Lots of promises that either show up very late, or not at all.
I'm glad that they continue to improve the auto pilot. I'm not so happy that the improvements come with degradation of other features. And I'm particularly unhappy with the fact that the improvements come at the cost of almost everything else!

The Tesla is arguably the most advanced car in existence, yet the iPhone app is embarrassingly outdated, the maps lack basic features that 5 year old Garmins have, they refuse to integrate mobile phones (aside from bluetooth), and in general, they just don't seem to care what the current customers want; seems to be much more about attracting new customers, having the fastest 0-60 times, useless features like pulling itself into a garage, etc. If they're not interested in fixing the problems we bring up, then I'd prefer them just not ask in the first place. And while I've never had another car gain features while I owned it, I also never had one lose features.

Apple released their maps app after Tesla. It was pretty awful at first, universally ridiculed. However, since the release, they've made enormous strides and they're now competing pretty well with Google, beating them in some areas. Customers complained, Apple wanted a product worthy of their name, they listened, and they delivered. Tesla, in that same time, has done almost nothing with the maps. My maps are still rarely updated, still give bad directions, still can't add in stops, still draw slowly, still don't give you route options, etc. I'll be impressed when I don't need to constantly pull out my phone because the Tesla either does something to slowly, doesn't do it well, or frequently, can't do it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
The car is great. If my lease was up, I'd likely buy another. The UI, however, is not so great, and this has been commented on many times (mostly around the release of 7.0). While I'm glad they updated the media player UI, they ignored a lot of other things that I think most owners would have rated more important.
Elon hinted at further improvements for 8.1, but maybe you've already forgotten about the major improvements he promised in 7.1, which never materialized? Lots of promises that either show up very late, or not at all.
I'm glad that they continue to improve the auto pilot. I'm not so happy that the improvements come with degradation of other features. And I'm particularly unhappy with the fact that the improvements come at the cost of almost everything else!

The Tesla is arguably the most advanced car in existence, yet the iPhone app is embarrassingly outdated, the maps lack basic features that 5 year old Garmins have, they refuse to integrate mobile phones (aside from bluetooth), and in general, they just don't seem to care what the current customers want; seems to be much more about attracting new customers, having the fastest 0-60 times, useless features like pulling itself into a garage, etc. If they're not interested in fixing the problems we bring up, then I'd prefer them just not ask in the first place. And while I've never had another car gain features while I owned it, I also never had one lose features.

Apple released their maps app after Tesla. It was pretty awful at first, universally ridiculed. However, since the release, they've made enormous strides and they're now competing pretty well with Google, beating them in some areas. Customers complained, Apple wanted a product worthy of their name, they listened, and they delivered. Tesla, in that same time, has done almost nothing with the maps. My maps are still rarely updated, still give bad directions, still can't add in stops, still draw slowly, still don't give you route options, etc. I'll be impressed when I don't need to constantly pull out my phone because the Tesla either does something to slowly, doesn't do it well, or frequently, can't do it at all.
Agree on most of that but particularly the Navigation, pretty bad and it's an essential driving tool.

Versus my Audi A8L, it is unbelievably better in every respect (well, the massage seats were very nice, but....). I agree. Did you test drive your car? Did you play with the different functions, try the media player, use the navigation? And you still bought it, I assume. As did I. Do I believe it is perfect? Not by any means. But as an integrated whole, it is really, really good. I also have a new jeep. I replaced the stock radio etc... with the latest front end with car play and android auto. It is way better than the stock, but still really sucks. It is temperamental, it often refuses to work right, you can't adjust the navigation audio which is deafening...I could go on and on....but it is still a tremendous improvement over stock. The Tesla overall experience is way better. It all just works together nicely, presents nicely, improves nicely. And frankly I am more concerned about performance and autopilot improvements than anything else. If I buy a brand new iphone 7 and I immediately complain about the new home button performance...well, I bought it and didn't try it first and it is what it is. With this car, I bought it the way it is, and it has improved since the day I bought it. That is a miracle in the car industry. My 2003 A8 sound system sucked, and I replaced it....the entire car...with a 2015 because it sucked somewhat less. In this case, I just own it, and whatever, improvements I get...some of which are functionally incredible...are free to me. Seems hard to complain. The USB music thing to me seems to be the worst complaint. It worked that way for the most part when we got it. It hasn't gotten better. But we bought it the way it was. If the engineering team is spending time making the car safer to drive, adding range through tweaks to the regenerative braking, etc.........yes, please keep focusing on that. I already knew the rest of how it worked. But that is only MY personal opinion. Whatever they change is a bonus for us. If I wake up one day and I can suddenly teleport from the driver's seat (passenger seat teleportation is shut down for safety reasons), I will say thank you very much. We can always say "why isn't this part better?" and it is a fair question. But that doesn't mean the company is required to provide a free update to improve it. And the argument that "my 150k car can't do something my 10 year old Celica can do" is just not a valid complaint. There are all sorts of compromises that drive development. We purchased a car on the basis of the current endpoint of that development (keep in mind all of the "I ordered but should I wait until X is fixed or Y is different" posts), knowing that things could ACTUALLY change with no promise of what or when or why. Once you open up the incredibly idea that your car CAN change, it seems weird to be really pissed off that it didn't change the way you particularly want it to just because of whatever your priorities are. My two cents, I'm sure plenty disagree, and I mean no offense (and not quoting anyone in particular).

Reactions: Roger t
Versus my Audi A8L, it is unbelievably better in every respect (well, the massage seats were very nice, but....). I agree. Did you test drive your car? Did you play with the different functions, try the media player, use the navigation? And you still bought it, I assume. As did I. Do I believe it is perfect? Not by any means. But as an integrated whole, it is really, really good. I also have a new jeep. I replaced the stock radio etc... with the latest front end with car play and android auto. It is way better than the stock, but still really sucks. It is temperamental, it often refuses to work right, you can't adjust the navigation audio which is deafening...I could go on and on....but it is still a tremendous improvement over stock. The Tesla overall experience is way better. It all just works together nicely, presents nicely, improves nicely. And frankly I am more concerned about performance and autopilot improvements than anything else. If I buy a brand new iphone 7 and I immediately complain about the new home button performance...well, I bought it and didn't try it first and it is what it is. With this car, I bought it the way it is, and it has improved since the day I bought it. That is a miracle in the car industry. My 2003 A8 sound system sucked, and I replaced it....the entire car...with a 2015 because it sucked somewhat less. In this case, I just own it, and whatever, improvements I get...some of which are functionally incredible...are free to me. Seems hard to complain. The USB music thing to me seems to be the worst complaint. It worked that way for the most part when we got it. It hasn't gotten better. But we bought it the way it was. If the engineering team is spending time making the car safer to drive, adding range through tweaks to the regenerative braking, etc.........yes, please keep focusing on that. I already knew the rest of how it worked. But that is only MY personal opinion. Whatever they change is a bonus for us. If I wake up one day and I can suddenly teleport from the driver's seat (passenger seat teleportation is shut down for safety reasons), I will say thank you very much. We can always say "why isn't this part better?" and it is a fair question. But that doesn't mean the company is required to provide a free update to improve it. And the argument that "my 150k car can't do something my 10 year old Celica can do" is just not a valid complaint. There are all sorts of compromises that drive development. We purchased a car on the basis of the current endpoint of that development (keep in mind all of the "I ordered but should I wait until X is fixed or Y is different" posts), knowing that things could ACTUALLY change with no promise of what or when or why. Once you open up the incredibly idea that your car CAN change, it seems weird to be really pissed off that it didn't change the way you particularly want it to just because of whatever your priorities are. My two cents, I'm sure plenty disagree, and I mean no offense (and not quoting anyone in particular).

What's with all these "didn't you drive the car before you bought it?" Comments? When people complain about LOSING feature and reduced functionality, they are complaining exactly that! They drove the car, liked it, bought it...and then it was changed.

That's the whole point!!!

I have 8.0 installed. Nav is working great for me.
And one new feature I really dig is ability to listen to podcasts from the 17" screen. So instead of subscribing to them on my phone, remembering to download them, now I can just .. well . listen to them in my car, over freebie internet.

Did they by any chance provide a variable playback speed mode of some sort? I listen to all my podcasts at 2x speed on my Android.

When did they ask? I'm unaware of any official portal through which to provide feedback to Tesla of any kind. Isn't that why we have
this site, so we can listen to the echos of our own complaints and requests?
Elon asked for feedback on what we wanted in 7.1 after 7.0 came out in a tweet. None of that made it in. Seem like it was just a PR move to make us think he really wanted our feedback.

Reactions: Lump
No one lost functionality on the media player. Not sure I believe that anyone "lost" functionality in AP--a beta function that is continually updated to add functionality and safety, and to account for the folks who don't use it as instructed. no one paid for hands free driving. No one. On the other hand, I think lawn darts were awesome and the government should have stayed out of the way. Just sayin'

Reactions: liuping
For anyone still worried about the new AP nags... don't sweat it. It's only effecting people that repeatedly ignore the previous nags. 99% of us will never notice the difference. It's really much ado about nothing.

However, the actual AP driving performance is much improved. I got the v8 update this afternoon and was able to drove home with it. It's rock solid now in the lane. It's super smooth. You notice the improvement in seconds. I'm pretty blown away.

And then there's all the other updates to media, climate control, and maps. Hell, even the web browser is better now.

Reactions: geoff79s and mhan00
No one lost functionality on the media player. Not sure I believe that anyone "lost" functionality in AP--a beta function that is continually updated to add functionality and safety, and to account for the folks who don't use it as instructed. no one paid for hands free driving. No one. On the other hand, I think lawn darts were awesome and the government should have stayed out of the way. Just sayin'
Yes, we did. For the minority that have thousand of tracks on USB, it's now basically impossible to navigate them. You cannot search them (not new), and you cannot quickly jump to particular letters (definitely worse than before). Hopefully they quickly react to this and fix it, since it seems so simple. Unfortunately I doubt they will. But really, using USB has been a subpar experience for a long time. I'd agree with someone else's (semi-sarcastic) comment - if they're not going to improve it, they should just take it out and quit teasing me that I can easily access all of my music conveniently and in a lossless format.

As for AP, luckily I never experienced 7.0 to have the relative experience of functionality being locked out, but even still, the 5mph over posted is the most annoying thing about AP. Mostly because of how inconsistent it is. There are three man routes to approach my home, two of them are divided roads with stoplights (the other a non-divided highway - of course with the highest speed limit of the three). One of them (a divided highway) allows AP without restriction, to either two do not. I've reported the discrepancy to Tesla, and their response is that they'll send it to their mapping team to update the data. But let's be honest. I don't think their maps even know the other divided highway exists, as it's only four years old.

Other than that, I'm stoked for the update. Especially for the AP improvements. The other things are small little,things that is still a game changing experience that cars can actually improve post delivery.

Reactions: rluciano
If I have my hand on the wheel, and now need to tug the thing to 'prove' that every minute as I go down the highway, the system starts to lose its value.

, I try to adjust my grip to include some resistance to minimize nags, but I still occasionally get them

It must be possible for this forum, collectively, to figure out what it is that means that some (most? might be worth a poll??) drivers [with hands-on-wheel] don't get nags, but some others do.

Might mean that nagged drivers need to change their driving position / habits, but here's hoping it is an acceptable change. maybe its a service centre visit to improve the sensitive.

or it only has rolled out extremely limited

TeslaFi previously had 282 users on 2.36.31, it is now showing 312 (registration rate looks good!) and 48 on 2.36.108 (plus 1 on 2.36.106 ??). Not sure if any of those with 8.0 are on foreign soil ...

I'm considering sticking with 7.1 until the dust settles on 8.0. As far as I can see, most of the updates are to reduce Tesla's liability. The new nag function is detailed on Electrek.co:

"Here’s a comprehensive breakdown:

• Below 45 mph
    • ‘Hold Steering Wheel’ alert after 5 minutes on a straight road.
    • If there are curves on the road, the system accounts for lateral acceleration so refer to over 45 mph.
  • Over 45 mph
    • ‘Hold Steering Wheel’ alert after 1 minute if no vehicle to follow.
    • ‘Hold Steering Wheel’ alert after 3 minutes if you are tracking a car in front
If you ignore 3 alerts within an hour, the Autosteer feature will be disabled for the remainder of the drive – meaning you will have to put the car on park before being able to enable it again."

The "improvements" I see mostly relate to safety / liability concerns at a cost to daily use:
- protection against leaving your child / daughter in a hot car (sorry, but meh.)
- improved use of radar to identify stationary objects (but no improvement to camera recognition of lane marker, the primary weakness)
- basically requiring the hands on the wheel (reminder every 60 sec? really? functionally WAY below what I have now)
-minor UI and media player updates (wasted time that could have been spent on CarPlay implementation)

If I had a car on order right now, that is going to have 8.0 when it arrives, I would be a little upset (a lot?) that it's going to offer much less convenience than the vehicle I test drove before ordering.

Thought? Anyone else hanging onto 7.1 for now.

Yikes...does every thread title need to sound like a Huffpo headline? There's no auto company in the world that updates their vehicles and overnight my Tesla is going to bounce photons past cars in front of me enabling my car to essentially see through them...holy crap this is some sci fi stuff...and only one of over 200 tweaks...not a gain for the customer?! Time to change that half empty glass to half full.

Thrice now since 8.0 update I have had the AP speeding towards a stopped vehicle at a red light and had to take over the braking.
This did not happen before the update so I am a little concerned. I hope the car "tunes" itself and stops this nonsense;)
Each time the stopped car was more than 100 feet ahead and I would wait for the car to sense the stopped vehicle. Once the car stopped but way too late, the other 2 times I took over not wanting to wait till I was 18 feet away. So in these early stages it appears my AP has gotten worse.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9