Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 auto-steer drives like it's drunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, who would have guessed that driving rain would improve my AP commute from San Mateo to Mtn View. Surprisingly, it was at least as good as 7.0 this morning. I'll chalk up the previous drunk-like driving to the combination of low front-facing sun and wet roads yesterday morning. Incidentally, like 7.0, auto-steer still tends to veer too close to the right side of the left-most lane for my comfort. I wish there was a way to adjust this.

I find that the car will continue to drive in conditions where it would have given up before. On my morning commute, if I am a bit later than usual the road is in very heavy broken shadow due to the sun coming sideways through the trees. In 7.0, it would lose the lane markers and then beep for me to take over. In 7.1, it continues to drive, despite losing the lane markers. It will sometimes show one line and often show neither, yet gamely continue to try to steer. In those circumstances, it does a poor job of staying smooth between the lines, with the "drunk driver" weaving quite noticable.

msnow's report of the car losing its TACC target, coupled with the prior report of an accident makes me very concerned that there is a new bug with TACC in 7.1 and I'm watching the car very closely these days.

OP, was it windy while on that morning drive? I find mine wonders quite a bit if I have a cross wind. It will also wonder around when the trees cast shadows on the interstate in the mornings. If I have both together it does indeed drive like a drunk. I also make sure to have a firm grasp on the wheel any time that the road has a sharp crest to a hill. It will yank the wheel left then right rapidly nearly every time in this situation.

msnow's report of the car losing its TACC target, coupled with the prior report of an accident makes me very concerned that there is a new bug with TACC in 7.1 and I'm watching the car very closely these days.

Yeah, sounds about right. I got to a point where I could basically predict ahead of time how 7.0 would handle a particular situation and was able to modify my behavior (either relax completely or be prepared to take over at a moment's notice) based on that. With 7.1, I feel like I will have to spend a few hundred miles re-learning some of those guidelines so I can become confident again.

I do find 7.1 to be less "safe" than 7.0 per prior comments in this thread.

In 7.0, the car would work hard to stay in the middle of the lane and that would cause it to sort of wobble.

In 7.1, the car slowly drifts from edge to edge of the lane, getting too close to cars in the other lanes.

I do find 7.1 to be less "safe" than 7.0 per prior comments in this thread.

In 7.0, the car would work hard to stay in the middle of the lane and that would cause it to sort of wobble.

In 7.1, the car slowly drifts from edge to edge of the lane, getting too close to cars in the other lanes.

Seriously? This is not good. Does it always ping pong? Do you get any long stretches where it just stays centered calmly, with neither wobbling nor ping ponging?

Seriously? This is not good. Does it always ping pong? Do you get any long stretches where it just stays centered calmly, with neither wobbling nor ping ponging?
Not for me. Except for one time when there was slush on the road, 7.1 is quite stable and definitely better on curves in the highway. It also now avoids almost all exits and forks correctly unlike 7.0 that almost always took them. 7.1 still has lots of problems and needs supervision, but, at least for me, is decidedly better than 7.0.

As I tested out 7.1 AP further on highway. It came to me that:

1. 7.1 AP definitely resolved, the highway exit problem. It keeps the car in the lane instead of either going to the exit or nagging driver for assistance
2. 7.1 AP is nagging the driver more frequently. Whereas in 7.0, I don't get any "hold your wheel" notification on my way to office at all, but I can get nagged 2 or 3 time each way.
3. 7.1 AP is not as good at recognizing hwy markings as 7.0. Especially under unfavorable conditions. I was reporting the car "ping-ponged" in the lane. The reason is i was driving westbound late afternoon so the sun was shining, at an angle, at the camera. Same situation happens to 7.0 AP constantly and it did not have any problem. But 7.1 AP has problem recognizing the left lane marking line as the sun is shining from the left side.
4. 7.1 AP drive more smoothly than 7.0.

3. 7.1 AP is not as good at recognizing hwy markings as 7.0. Especially under unfavorable conditions. I was reporting the car "ping-ponged" in the lane. The reason is i was driving westbound late afternoon so the sun was shining, at an angle, at the camera. Same situation happens to 7.0 AP constantly and it did not have any problem. But 7.1 AP has problem recognizing the left lane marking line as the sun is shining from the left side.

That sucks - driving into the setting sun on I-10 in Southern California with a lot of glare shining off the pavement was one place 7.0 had problems for me keeping the lane. I was hoping that 7.1 would resolve this.

Yeah, sounds about right. I got to a point where I could basically predict ahead of time how 7.0 would handle a particular situation and was able to modify my behavior (either relax completely or be prepared to take over at a moment's notice) based on that. With 7.1, I feel like I will have to spend a few hundred miles re-learning some of those guidelines so I can become confident again.
Absolutely agree. I feel like I'm already teaching my second Tesla learner-driver! Onwards and upwards for Tesla engineering.

(UK - so right hand drive here)
I have now "tested" 7.1AP quite consistently for one aspect of performance.
Highway with median.
Basically an empty straight road with stong contrast markings, and the occasional truck in the inside lane.

AP places the car centrally and stably in the middle of the outside lane.
AP correctly detects the truck which is about to be passed.
AP then consistently biases the car from the centre of the lane towards not away from the truck, displays this accurately on the IC, thus narrowing the gap between the vehicles.

I am not sure if (how) this might be a LHD/RHD issue, it does appear it might be that an offset factor might be applied in the wrong direction when passing a truck which is to the left.

I have driven quite a lot with 7.1. Initially it felt like it was back to square 1 learning again. It seems to have settled down a bit, but it does hunt in the lanes. Did an 225 km trip yesterday in bright hot conditions on a divided freeway, so correct conditions for the system were I a following cop, I would have pulled me over...this did not happen with 7.0 once it had some learning under the belt. And yes, we correct side of the road people have the opposite problem to you wrong side of the road people, with the car biased left.

Have you noticed, by chance, if 7.1's behavior in difficult situations is any better? Specifically situations in the late afternoon driving toward the sun when there is a lot of glare on the freeway?
I do find it can sense road lines better in all situations. But the lane-searching (ping ponging) is much worse. It does NOT dive to the exits. That is much better. But some other issues have been introduced that are a worry.

What the Heck is up with Autopilot? - Page 7

Yes I now have Autosteer diving off exit ramps that were no problem in 7.0, ping-ponging along the lane even when the road is straight, crossing double lines on corners, slowing down to take corners like a 95 year old short-sighted grandma who has lost her seat cushion. The most annoying thing hasn't changed at all from v7.0 though, TACC still reads almost every 80km/hr sign as 30km/hr. It has been a downgrade for me, the only noticeable improvement is that corner are now taken in a curve rather than a series of connected straight lines

Yesterday, AP was literally jerking sharply into other lanes but would recover, I was watching the screen and the blue lines were straight each time. Also, while I was driving down a HIGHWAY about 20 minutes in AP said it was restricted and slowed me down from a 75 to 60 and I had to immediately take over to prevent being rear ended, but it let me resume AP like normal, unrestricted, after a few dozen feet...? Unfortunately, I just pulled my dash cam and the footage has already written over itself, as I was going to send it to Tesla. :frown:

Yesterday, AP was literally jerking sharply into other lanes but would recover, I was watching the screen and the blue lines were straight each time. Also, while I was driving down a HIGHWAY about 20 minutes in AP said it was restricted and slowed me down from a 75 to 60 and I had to immediately take over to prevent being rear ended, but it let me resume AP like normal, unrestricted, after a few dozen feet...? Unfortunately, I just pulled my dash cam and the footage has already written over itself, as I was going to send it to Tesla. :frown:
Please send them an email anyway, even without the footage. Tell them where and when it occurred.
They told me a couple of days ago that they've had zero reports of misidentified roads, and therefore they don't think it's a problem. Let them know that it's an issue!

Are you aware that at that point you can hold down the "speak" button on the steering wheel and say "bug report" and then state what happened? I'm not sure everyone knows this as I can't even remember where I first read about it. But it's worth a shot. And you do get a feedback notice. Would also be good to let service know.