TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by boonedocks, Jan 11, 2016.

1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Broke out the stopwatch on my drive home. Usually have 2 know "hold steering wheel" nags at known locations only during 40+ mile commute. Today with 7.1 at 75mph had the "nag" every 3 minutes on the que. Have never had timed nags until today.

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I understand Tesla's desire for timed nag, but this trend towards increased nagging could quickly become annoying.

3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Could indeed. Driving 300 miles with alerts every five minutes is a trifle irritating. On the other hand, I understand the Tesla logic because if so many well-documented idiots. I always pay close attention anyway so touching the wheel every five minutes does not bother me. If we are as attentive as we should be that should not really bother anyone. Autopilot, as in an aircraft autopilot, is an aide, but not a substitute. If we become irritated by the calls might we perhaps paying too little attention?

4. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Quite disappointed at the new nagging after my "upgrade" this afternoon.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Agreed, it definitely nags. 3 mins on highway, 1 min on local road for me. With stop watch, repeatable.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Maybe you should hold the steering wheel then.

7. Cyberax

Cyberax Member

I'm on the old AP which appears to be more sensitive, but even it often fails to detect that I _do_ have my hands on the wheel.

Needless to say, I'm not upgrading.

8. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I would then say there is no need for "autopilot". The nags are not a technical requirement, it is just that the car has now been upgraded to full "lawyer" mode.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Unfortunate for those of us who are actually paying complete attention to what is going on.

Like the old saying, "one bad apple ruins the whole barrel". Thank you idiots doing stupid things. You have ruined it for the rest of us. I hope you are completely unsatisfied by your irresponsible stunts.

10. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Maybe it's location specific. I put about 70 miles on the car today with 7.1 and only got maybe one or two more nags than with the previous firmware.

11. Cyberax

Cyberax Member

The timer seems to be reset every time you do some action like changing a lane, adjusting the set speed or doing manual acceleration.

12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Ugh, I predicted that they wouldn't do timed nag (except where there are even slight corners) cause the steering wheel can't detect hands on steering wheel. The only thing it can detect is torque and the only way to produce torque is to turn slightly.

Not that it matters for me since I haven't gotten any update since the first V7.0

So it's kinda like an enforced grace period to allow me to think hard as to whether I really want this upgrade.

So it's between

Doesn't work well in the right hand lane, but only bugs to hold steering wheel in situations where it can easily detect it.
    Vs.
    Works well in the right hand lane, but forces me to slightly turn the steering wheel every x minutes.

13. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Agree. I'm still waiting and it's good to hear all of this before updating. But, I suppose in the end, it is what it is. We know Musk and the entire industry are headed toward this, so eventually the nagging has to stop or we won't get there, will we? We'll all revolt first.

14. Cyberax

Cyberax Member

I'm now used to drive for more than 10-20 miles without any nag. And the right exits are pretty predictable.

For me the choice is clear: 7.0 until the restrictions are lifted or there's a REALLY major UI update (CarPlay or third-party app support).

15. Jool

Jool Member

So there really are timed nags now? How disappointing. I loved using auto steering on multiple Vegas trips, it worked fantastically. But having to torque the wheel every few minutes is a huge downgrade in functionality.

16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm still going to update assuming I ever get the update.

My reasoning is I like complaining. Oh, boy do I love a good complaint. At the same time I'm a strong believer that you have to have X to complain about X.

It's also the most effective way to make X into Y.

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Can't wait. Try to make it something memorable, okay?

:)

18. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'll try. But, I have to keep in somewhat sane because I know this is just a weird transitionary period between Level II semi-autonomous driving, and Level III.

I also have this inescapable feeling that this is somewhat related towards regulatory concerns. Where Tesla might be protecting themselves especially on their home turf given the DMV's confusion over V7.0, and the nag.

The second drawback of it miss-detecting roads/speed limit signs might be the more meaty of two to complain about. It's more engineering anyways.

19. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#19 Mark Z, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    7.1 will make the comparison between Model X P90DL and the original Model S more interesting.

Now the Model S P85 is quieter in more ways than having one motor.

I wonder if the lawyers will demand that Tesla Motors force the update to all Autopilot vehicles so no delay will occur in getting these life saving improvements into every Model S and X as soon as possible.

20. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

I keep my hands on the wheel and still get the "nag" (no 7.1 update yet) once I was grabbing the wheel with both hands in many different places before the "nag" went away. Guess I didn't realize you really have to torque the wheel.