Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to chat with a Mercedes engineer today. Let's say that this is going to change in the next 4 months.

Speaking to an engineer doesn't guarantee something is going to happen soon. And, even if it does, it will apply only to new cars, and possibly only the more expensive versions of the new cars. Not that they will, but tesla could likely surpass whatever Mercedes comes up with, and apply it to every auto pilot enabled car. Maybe if Mercedes allows hands free driving and tesla wouldn't be the only one doing it anymore, tesla lawyers will finally ease up a bit.

I had a chance to chat with a Mercedes engineer today. Let's say that this is going to change in the next 4 months.

The upcoming W213 E Class's increased autopilot capabilities have been well documented in the press - but the articles also claim that Mercedes will still force you to touch the steering wheel *at least every 120 seconds* or the system will deactivate.

To me that makes it a no-go. Until MBZ stops with the over-the-top babysitting I won't buy one.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking to an engineer doesn't guarantee something is going to happen soon. And, even if it does, it will apply only to new cars, and possibly only the more expensive versions of the new cars.

Do your research on the 2017 E-class going on sale in a few months - it is coming. Its hardware leaps ahead - 4 cameras looking in all directions, etc. etc. Supposedly its software is much improved over the old MBZ system. Won't be any way to know if it beats Tesla until they are in the field and a head-to-head comparison test can be done.

The upcoming W213 E Class's increased autopilot capabilities have been well documented in the press - but the articles also claim that Mercedes will still force you to touch the steering wheel *at least every 120 seconds* or the system will deactivate.
To me that makes it a no-go. Until MBZ stops with the over-the-top babysitting I won't buy one.
It doesn't limit you to "speed limit" +5mph :)

I've heard that nag is going to be configurable and they are seriously thinking about disabling it.

If Tesla put the ability to disable nags that weren't confidence based, or otherwise needed, behind a wall of disclaimers that reset with every single drive... I would find that a perfectly acceptable solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Do your research on the 2017 E-class going on sale in a few months - it is coming. Its hardware leaps ahead - 4 cameras looking in all directions, etc. etc. Supposedly its software is much improved over the old MBZ system. Won't be any way to know if it beats Tesla until they are in the field and a head-to-head comparison test can be done.

Hopefully this is what the next generation of AP hardware for Tesla will have.