Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so again on the highway I went over eight minutes without a nag and without touching any controls. Two days in a row, timing with a stopwatch. For those so convinced there's a timed nag, how do you explain that?

If there is a timed nag, it has to be under a set of specific circumstances--it cannot possibly apply everywhere.

For all of you who are deferring upgrading, keep in mind that if you take your car to a service center for just about any reason they will upgrade your car to the latest version. You can ask them not to, but they will do it anyway.

I personally do not believe I've experienced the timer nag. I will be more diligent in looking for it.

For all of you who are deferring upgrading, keep in mind that if you take your car to a service center for just about any reason they will upgrade your car to the latest version. You can ask them not to, but they will do it anyway.
No they won't update it, because they'll be in court if they do, and they won't get my key until they sign something saying they won't cripple my car.

They have no legal right to modify my vehicle in any way without my prior authorization, that includes software. And this also does not excuse any of their obligations under either the warranty or the service plan, those contracts are still binding as well.

Ok, so again on the highway I went over eight minutes without a nag and without touching any controls. Two days in a row, timing with a stopwatch. For those so convinced there's a timed nag, how do you explain that?

If there is a timed nag, it has to be under a set of specific circumstances--it cannot possibly apply everywhere.

As I said it may be by expressway or interstate BUT I can repeatedly make it happen and even included videos below for you to see that it is repeatable on demand. Not happenstance.

ABSOLUTELY there is. I have confirmed it repeatedly and even posted videos. Now it may be by road or expressway/interstate but there IS. Mine started the minute I upgraded to 7.1 Never had them before on this stretch and now they are repeatable at 3 minute intervals

To be fair to Tesla, this could be an illusion. Since they reveal nothing about the control logic, any decision you see it make is pretty much magic, and anyone will attempt to find some pattern that it fits is like seeing animal shapes in clouds or the virgin mary in toast.

To be fair to Tesla, this could be an illusion. Since they reveal nothing about the control logic, any decision you see it make is pretty much magic, and anyone will attempt to find some pattern that it fits is like seeing animal shapes in clouds or the virgin mary in toast.

If it is 100% repeatable without fail it is not magic, it is a fact. Maybe staying in the clouds is best for some.......

Not sure if that's directed at me, but I never said a nag happens in all circumstances. I said I have a 3-minute nag that I'm sure is there. As do others. But not everyone has a nag. And there is no clear pattern yet.

I personally do not believe I've experienced the timer nag. I will be more diligent in looking for it.

Not sure which part of NoVa you're in, but I could name 2 roads in Northern Virginia that have a repeatable timed nag for me.

Every 3 minutes (I did the test for 12-minutes, so 4 times) on I-495 going south from roughly Gallows road down to I-95. Pretty sure had a 3-minute nag on I-95, though I can't remember now...
And every 1 minute after getting off I-95 onto the Fairfax County Parkway going north (after about 4-5minutes, I got tired of the nag and held the wheel).

- - - Updated - - -

That's very condescending, and blatantly wrong.

I can repeat multiple times a timed nag in my car on 2 different roads, at 2 different timed increments. Someone here (boonedocks) has posted a video of his repeatable 3-minute nag.

This isn't a "well it's around 3 minutes and 18 seconds, but sometimes it's at 3 minutes and 23 seconds". These are whole minute increments.

If it happened once to 1 person, then sure, maybe he did something wrong and it's a coincidence. But when it's happening, in whole minute increments, to multiple people and each one of those multiple people can repeat the experiment multiple times, it's not a coincidence anymore.

Hands OFF the wheel will cause a nag in my car on 2 roads that I've tested it on. Hands on the wheel will not cause a nag, even gently the car seems to detect that you're holding the wheel.

I drove for about an hour on the highway last night in traffic averaging about 30 MPH. I did not receive any nag requests. I am sure others are seeing it frequently, but I have only been requested to take the wheel a couple of times since the 7.1 upgrade.

A coincidence that never happened before the update, being driven on the same roads. Give me a break.

It's new software. Basically one report of anyone exceeding a 3 minute stretch nullifies a forced nag at this interval. There seems to have been several. Personally I haven't gone over about 1 minute without a hold warning on known roads so far, but I haven't done that much highway driving. Not enough info for me to conclude anything, other than there are more of them.

That's how superstitions start, humans think something is 100% repeatable but it's just coincidence.
That's what the stopwatch is for, exact whole minute increments repeatable over long periods of time across multiple users on multiple different roads. Seems far more likely there's a nag than not. The bigger question would be to determine why it's only there sometimes. There's obviously an algorithm that decides whether to nag or not, it's too bad we don't know what that is.

- - - Updated - - -

It's new software. Basically one report of anyone exceeding a 3 minute stretch nullifies a forced nag at this interval. There seems to have been several. Personally I haven't gone over about 1 minute without a hold warning on known roads so far, but I haven't done that much highway driving. Not enough info for me to conclude anything, other than there are more of them.
Actually it doesn't, it invalidates the idea of a timed nag of that duration in the particular situation that person was in.

In 7.0 many people claimed a timed nag, I always told them they were wrong based on the fact nobody could ever put a stopwatch to it and come up with an exact number. 7.1 is different because the stopwatch shows that exact time.

It's new software. Basically one report of anyone exceed a 3 minute stretch nullifies a forced nag at this interval.

So close, but that's not how it works. In order for your proof to be bulletproof, you need to take into account all possible variables.

The nag could be linked to the road. Or the speed limit. Or your set speed. Or any number of other things.

This is why I started this thread to see if there is any discernible pattern: Survey: How and why the nag (AP V7.1) happens

If you said one report of a person exceeding 3-minutes on the same road as someone else having the 3-minute nag on the same stretch of road under the same driving conditions, now that would likely make it null and void, but that hasn't happened.

There seems to have been several. Personally I haven't gone over about 1 minute without a hold warning on known roads so far, but I haven't done that much highway driving. Not enough info for me to conclude anything, other than there are more of them.

So you're arguing for the sake of arguing? Gotchya.

ABSOLUTELY there is. I have confirmed it repeatedly and even posted videos. Now it may be by road or expressway/interstate but there IS. Mine started the minute I upgraded to 7.1 Never had them before on this stretch and now they are repeatable at 3 minute intervals

I looked at your videos and didn't understand what I was supposed to be seeing. In neither of them did I see the nag message at all.

What am I missing?

P.S. Don't have 7.1 yet, and am ambivalent about the wait, given the furor...

I looked at your videos and didn't understand what I was supposed to be seeing. In neither of them did I see the nag message at all.

What am I missing?

P.S. Don't have 7.1 yet, and am ambivalent about the wait, given the furor...

As soon as the timer ends he zooms into the IC where at the bottom of it you see a "Hold Steering Wheel" message.

It's new software. Basically one report of anyone exceeding a 3 minute stretch nullifies a forced nag at this interval.
Not really. It just means that some people either don't get nag or somehow don't trigger it otherwise. It's also possible that Tesla is doing a large-scale test with only some people getting the new timed nag.

Another conjecture is that AP hardware does some periodic recalibration or re-evaluation that can trigger a nag as a side effect.

I watched each video twice and didn't see that.

Red arrows are mine:

Nag.jpg