Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair to Tesla, this could be an illusion. Since they reveal nothing about the control logic, any decision you see it make is pretty much magic, and anyone will attempt to find some pattern that it fits is like seeing animal shapes in clouds or the virgin mary in toast.
Seeing the Virgin Mary in toast is an observation. Measuring the spin of a neutron is an observation. They are both observations, but the second qualifies as empirical scientific investigation, the first does not. People on this board timing nags with a stopwatch are in the second category, not the first.

Last edited:
That's how superstitions start, humans think something is 100% repeatable but it's just coincidence.

My guess is you could Skype with me or even be in my car and time it yourself and you would still deny it. Keep your head in the clouds counting unicorns jumping cotton ball mountains. Just for you I'll see if I can do another NON time lapse video with plenty of room at the end to see the IC clearly. If you still deny that it's a FACT and not a fantasy story, well then keep playing with those unicorns...

Not sure if that's directed at me, but I never said a nag happens in all circumstances. I said I have a 3-minute nag that I'm sure is there. As do others. But not everyone has a nag. And there is no clear pattern yet.

Wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'm not challenging that people are seeing nags at three minute intervals, I believe everyone saying that. I'm just pointing out that it's not always 3 minutes.

One theory, based on what boonedocks saw: Maybe if your set speed is above 70mph, or your actual travel speed exceeds 70mph, the nags are more likely? When I drove 8+ minutes my actual speed was in the 65-70mph range.

Last edited:
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'm not challenging that people are seeing nags at three minute intervals, I believe everyone saying that. I'm just pointing out that it's not always 3 minutes.

One theory, based on what boonedocks saw: Maybe if your set speed is above 70mph, or your actual travel speed exceeds 70mph, the nags are more likely? When I drove 8+ minutes my actual speed was in the 65-70mph range.

I'm trying to track that in the other thread. I was going 55mph in a 55mph zone and I had 3 minute nags.

Someone else was going 75mph in a 70mph, and he had 5-minute nags. Someone else going 60-79 in a 70 had 3 minute nags.

I think as Andrew pointed out (I think it was him?) this might be an A/B test, where they're deploying various time based nags only on certain cars and comparing... who knows what. This makes the most sense at this point, as there is no clear correlation to... well... anything yet.

I'm trying to track that in the other thread. I was going 55mph in a 55mph zone and I had 3 minute nags.

Someone else was going 75mph in a 70mph, and he had 5-minute nags. Someone else going 60-79 in a 70 had 3 minute nags.

I think as Andrew pointed out (I think it was him?) this might be an A/B test, where they're deploying various time based nags only on certain cars and comparing... who knows what. This makes the most sense at this point, as there is no clear correlation to... well... anything yet.

Well I *have* seen one 3 minute nag (3 min, 4 seconds as I recorded) so I'm thinking instead of an A/B test, it may be more of a certain set of conditions that we just can't figure out.

The odd thing is that probably 80% of my nags occur at times where autopilot is doing just fine!

If it is 100% repeatable without fail it is not magic, it is a fact. Maybe staying in the clouds is best for some.......

It's also a fact that my car (with v7.1) does not have a 3 minute nag. Maybe your car/sensor(s) has an internal problem that will meet a threshold every 3 minutes, repeatable because it's always failing?

This ongoing discussion shows that different people in different cars have widely differing levels of "nag" on different roads.
This is hardly surprising. The "nag" appears based on a complex algorithm evaluating multiple inputs. It's going to vary quite a bit in different situations. For the same driver traveling on the same road at the same speed it is likely to be fairly consistent but may also gradually change over time.

I can't find Max*s poll (and I have searched a lot of different things), but I used AP today on the normal route with about 5+ miles of freeway driving set at 75 in a 65. No nag at all and I kept my thumb and index finger loosely around the wheel as I always do. Now, I did have to change lanes several times about every mile. Seriously, what is it about CA and their freeways always running out of the right lanes and making you keep going left, left, left? :smile: So, I'm not sure if that prevented the nag.

I will be on a longer stretch later today with no lane changes for about 15 miles and am anxious to see what happens then.

Thanks. I searched "Poll:" and "Autopilot nag"

Ok, I will check with hands off this afternoon. I use that sometimes on very long monotonous IH drives where there's not much bad that can happen. Or if I'm excitedly showing someone everything the screen can do while I drive.:redface: