Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine if a software update came out that wouldn't let the car drive above the detected speed limit.

Just imagine how fanciful that statement isn't.

I can appreciate the difficulty in accepting a limitation like that hypothetical and I wouldn't like it BUT in this case we accepted use of this feature (in beta) by agreeing to use it as intended. If I don't I'll have to deal with nags. I've only driven about 20 miles with it lightly touching the wheel and have had just a couple of nags. It really wasn't that bad.

I can appreciate the difficulty in accepting a limitation like that hypothetical and I wouldn't like it BUT in this case we accepted use of this feature (in beta) by agreeing to use it as intended. If I don't I'll have to deal with nags. I've only driven about 20 miles with it lightly touching the wheel and have had just a couple of nags. It really wasn't that bad.

When you get your drivers license you agree to obide by all laws. You've never went over the speed limit by 0.1mph?

Well sure but I had my hands on the steering wheel, I guess your saying hands free autosteer is like fudging a little over the speed limit and nobody should nag you. Is that your point?

I'm just equating your counterargument to AWDteslas counterargument. Basically we agree to a lot of things, like not speeding, like holding the wheel. It would suck if all the rules we agree to, though are constantly broken, all of a sudden become enforced. Like speeding. Or holding the wheel.

FTR: I don't think the nag is that bad, if I have my hands lightly on the wheel it's doesn't exist. I usually drive with one hand on the wheel anyways, so it wont change much for me.
I'm more interested in understanding how and what triggers it (since not everyone has it, and it's not always 3minutes)

I'm just equating your counterargument to AWDteslas counterargument. Basically we agree to a lot of things, like not speeding, like holding the wheel. It would suck if all the rules we agree to, though are constantly broken, all of a sudden become enforced. Like speeding. Or holding the wheel.

FTR: I don't think the nag is that bad, if I have my hands lightly on the wheel it's doesn't exist. I usually drive with one hand on the wheel anyways, so it wont change much for me.
I'm more interested in understanding how and what triggers it (since not everyone has it, and it's not always 3minutes)

Got it, thanks.

I did my weekly roughly 40 mile r/t today on the same road (IH5) I've been doing it on since AP 7.0. I really tried hard to keep my hands off the wheel and force it to nag me, and I couldn't. (For the lawyers, I almost always keep one hand on the wheel as I actually find it more comfortable; this was for experimental purposes only!) The only nags I got were in the usual predictable spots where the freeway curves and AP seems to always want to know I'm still there. I was very worried at all the drama being posted in this and other threads that I would have to jerk the steering wheel much more than I had in 7.0. Let me assure everyone that is NOT the case. I barely had to touch the wheel for it to remove the "hold...wheel" message.

I am very impressed at the changes that have been made. No diving for the right-hand exits. Yay! Handles curves better and slows down for them better. Still not perfect, but much smoother. I love AP and my Tesla more after every update.

I only wish that in CA, where lane-splitting is allowed by motorcycles, that we had more side and rear cameras that could scoot me over some when they come roaring up on my right side. Maybe in the next gen. As it is, I do not know why I need to see on my IC the pictures of all the cars in front of and to the side of me that I can see anyway?? Maybe there's a future use for this that we haven't been told about yet. Time will tell.

Thanks, Tesla!

Last edited:
As it is, I do not know why I need to see on my IC the pictures of all the cars in front of and to the side of me that I can see anyway??

I admit I have never driven a Tesla, but for me, I think it would give me a bit of peace of mind seeing what the Autopilot sees. Since the driver is fully responsible for what Autopilot does, I think it makes sense that they should give the driver an idea of what Autopilot sees so if something doesn't show up, it gives the driver an advanced warning that something is off and gives them the opportunity to take appropriate action.

In heavy traffic, I find it nice to know that autopilot is already aware of the car which is about to cut into my lane. That's the purpose that it serves for me, anyway.

As it is, I do not know why I need to see on my IC the pictures of all the cars in front of and to the side of me that I can see anyway?? Maybe there's a future use for this that we haven't been told about yet. Time will tell.

Thanks, Tesla!

I admit I have never driven a Tesla, but for me, I think it would give me a bit of peace of mind seeing what the Autopilot sees. Since the driver is fully responsible for what Autopilot does, I think it makes sense that they should give the driver an idea of what Autopilot sees so if something doesn't show up, it gives the driver an advanced warning that something is off and gives them the opportunity to take appropriate action.
Yes, that does make sense. I guess I wish the car could help see things I don't. Baby steps.

Drove 1300 miles from California to Oregon then back during the past few days. Amazed how autopilot still worked in the rain in the mountains. Would not recommend it though, scary with all the big rigs though. Got the constant nag every 3 minutes if my hands weren't on the wheel. I understand the nag coming up in a curve, I always make sure to keep my hands on the wheel in a bend/curve, just in case. I think it would be fine if the nag was only used in situations where it is ACTUALLY needed (say unsafe conditions, like heavy traffic, bad weather and/or large curves). But on I-5 where I had 100s of miles of straight and flat roads (the perfect conditions I believe), really don't need the nag, I doubt it's hardware limitations of the sensors or processor because in the past on a route I take often, I always got the nag at the same 2 curves on the highway but never on the straights until now (doesn't seem to be "learning" on 680). Did notice that the autopilot did seem smother and more accurate once crossing the boarder back into California and getting closer to the Bay Area. Not sure if that is the autopilot learning talked about in the past. And not sure how the autopilot is learning. If it is learning it is more likely in California where more owners live. Did not see any Teslas while in Oregon. Hope the talked about learning and Autopilot improved roads (HD mapping/GPS), as mentioned by another user would be made clear to users with a solid blue road instead of just the blue lines, so users could feel and be more or less confidante or certain roads. These roads could allow for few to no nags. Hope these limitations are lifted and more UI tweaks in 7.2 like blue road are in the works and implemented. It's sad to see limitations being made across the line because a few stupid owners postings videos on non recommended roads. Sorry for the long and rambling post just had a lot to say. Drive safe all.

I just drove 150 miles today, mostly highway. There is definitely no timed nag in v7.1 (2.9.154). I specifically tested this on a stretch of highway that previously had pretty much zero nags. So, on this stretch I set all of the autopilot dev settings back to normal (re-enabled the +5 MPH non-highway rule, disabled debug stuff, etc) and rebooted. Engaged autopilot. Went roughly 30 miles at 75 MPH with no nags whatsoever. No traffic, so no lane changes and nothing else steering wheel related for the system to infer my alertness from either.

Edit: Definitely a lot of people here claiming timed nags, which is weird since evidence and testing on my end suggests it's not true...

I too thought there was no timed nag, but I'm seeing it now. I drove about 1700 miles this week, 90% of it on AP. Miles of straight highway with a limit of 70, clear day, and I timed it - every 3 minutes.