TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

7.1 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ZTrekus, Dec 9, 2015.

1. paulp

paulp Active Member

#41 paulp, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    The US release notes make it clear summons is only to be used on private property, so there is no reason we cannot have it. Sure it might be illagal used on a private road, but so is exceeding the speed limit and driving on the wrong side of the road, but all cars are capable of that too.
    Further more, tesla promised it for Australia, so technically I've already paid, but did so knowing it was coming soon. Given it's now available, I have an expectation that the goods I paid for will be delivered.

Homelink is offered with the same frequency as my BND remote, so cannot see licencing being overly difficult. Homelink as a product was never offered in the australian marketing, however automatic garage opening was. Hence I'm not fussed how tesla achieve that, but expect that they will.

2. BenT

BenT Member

Paul is right. Aside from private residential land there are vast tracts of private rural land where you could use summons. Also agree re the frequency. Tesla could easily set the frequency to suit the Australian door opener spectrum.

3. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Homelink I'm not sure about - it's been hard to get any sort of definitive answer on it.

But with regards to Summon, in the US 'private property' has a much broader meaning under road rules than it does in Australia. If a place is not government it is private. You couldn't even use the terms 'only to be used on private property' in Australia as it is not the relevant distinction. It would have to be "not to be used on roads or road related areas'.

Ford, much to their angst, had to make Australia the only market in the world where the auto line locking feature of the new Mustang is disabled even though it would of course be legal to use it on a drag strip. This is because of their interpretation of their responsibilities under the anti-hooning provisions of the Australian road rules.

Australia has what are essentially the most restrictive road and vehicle safety regulations in the world. For this reason we will always be denied many capabilities of a Tesla.

4. paulp

paulp Active Member

Summons and homelink are directly related.
    When I raised the issue with Kasey Krape in the US, that is how will summons work without homelink to open the door, she had the summons web page taken down immediately. Hence it's got nothing to do with the road rules, and so we will see summons at the same time as we see a garage door opening solution.

The arguement around road rules makes no sense when we are all driving around on autopilot 'with our hands on the wheel'

5. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

#45 LGGD, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Summon would still be quite useful without Homelink.

Tesla autopilot is, in legal terms, not that different to existing implementations by some other vehicle manufacturers. The Australian Road Rules require the driver to be "in control" at all times but they do not specify that this means hands on the wheel specifically. So, I don't see any analogy there with autopilot.

Ford are openly unhappy about having to delete auto-line lock for Australian Mustang's even though it could be used legally. So, it would seem there is something more at play than manufacturers just relying on drivers to obey the applicable road laws.

6. PJF000

PJF000 Member

7. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

I hope we get Summon here too. It has appeared as Notification options in the updated Tesla app but that’s no guarantee.

If not Summon - driverless therefore the nanny restrictions - then how about Precision Auto Creep - while sitting in the driver’s seat the car will creep at very low speed into a tight space guided by the sensors?

Only problem is I’m not sure what the minimum detection distance is? 30cm? I was hoping for guidance with substantially less room than that on either side.

8. paulp

paulp Active Member

Attached is the previous wording on the AUSTRALIAN website, changed on 5 June.
    If you compare this wording with the current wording (they didnt change the graphic), it's plainly clear that this has nothing to do with road rules.
    Changing material after purchase doesn't change liability to those that purchased prior to the change, and I very much doubt anyone at Tesla will be able to provide documentation from our nanny government denying the use of summons.

Attached Files:

9. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

I agree, and I hope we do get Summon. I am just suggesting why Tesla may have not delivered it in Australia, is it a correct decision or interpretation? - like you, I'm not so sure.

10. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Summon can be configured to stop within 8" (20cm) plus there's a setting for "Narrow Spaces"

IMAG1096_zps2elews67.jpg

Source: 60293-Firmware-7-1?p=1313411

11. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

What's interesting is if they're not going to give it to us why include it in notations in the Tesla iOS app?

-ECIT

Attached Files:

12. paulp

paulp Active Member

there is one global app.

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I have to say, my app has not been updated at this time. Ditto with 7.1.

14. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Sure, but depending on region if one gets different feature sets its dead easy to render it differently.

-ECIT

15. paulp

paulp Active Member

LGGD already has 7.1, and unless I'm mistaken it's without summon.

16. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Yes, and I am aware of at least 6 other (non forum user) Australians with it now so it is slowly rolling out it seems.

17. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I'm sure it'll be without summon, but maybe Tesla has not gone to the effort to re-render the Australian notifications cause it's going to happen on a SA today ;-) we can live in hope.

If it's not been left in intentionally, cause we're getting it soon, then it's pretty unprofessional....

-ECIT

18. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

19. lennier

lennier Member

20. BenT

BenT Member

All across Australia and around the world Tesla owners are going to sleep tonight hoping that they will wake up tomorrow morning to find that the Tesla fairy has brought them a software update.