Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst as a techno nerd I want every feature possible in my Model S, realistically Summon, whilst VERY cool, is not really much use to me as I have a curved parth into our garage, and it won't (as yet) handle that. Aside from that I'd rather get out of the car in the garage than in my driveway. Just me... I know others with tight garages might be different, but I'd say they are in the minority at a guess.

Hopefully by the time the functionality is more useful Tesla will have overcome the regulatory rubbish.

I now have to ask, was it a car or a brick wall? ;)

It was in my garage. Of course I only activated the ability to launch (max battery on, left foot FIRMLY on the brake and just one pump of the accelerator to see if the software had been downloaded (indication on screen). There was no way I was going to release the brake and pump the accelerator for a second time. Of course if it had indicated Warp Speed (goes through solid objects), I may have been tempted. :wink:

Anyone notice that if you enable drivers door unlocking only, the charge port does not unlock from the charge cable? Real nuisance and, i am sure easily fixed with a software update. Unlocking the drivers door should allow the charge cable to release.
I have put in a feature request to both service help and to Jesse in Sydney.
Perhaps others would like to do the same?

That''s why I'm yet to test it. I only enabled. Anyway, I was just seeing who would be the observant one :biggrin:

I have a P85D and used Launch Mode a few times yesterday. The pre-loading of torque is very noticeable, and the pedal sequence is easy to remember once you've done it once or twice.

Didn't feel it was especially quicker than normal though - its so fast anyway that it is hard to tell the difference between Insane and slightly more Insane.

Still, fun to have and another little value add from Tesla.

I have a P85D and used Launch Mode a few times yesterday. The pre-loading of torque is very noticeable, and the pedal sequence is easy to remember once you've done it once or twice.

Didn't feel it was especially quicker than normal though - its so fast anyway that it is hard to tell the difference between Insane and slightly more Insane.

Couldn't get LM to work. Tried a few times but just sat there when I released the brake. Must be doing something wrong. I will say however, the car seems to have a noticeable increase in power with the battery at max.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a problem with Auto Pilot. I disengaged then tried to re-engage but couldn't, even though the AP icon was active. Solved by stopping, putting into P then D and trying again.
Also AP posts initial current speed limit + 3, but does not limit speed to new lower posted limit in residential zones, and if you increase the limit from the original posted + 3, the car will go to the higher limit. That's not my interpretation of the upgrade notes.

Haven't tried it yet, but I agree. Launch from standstill is so fast, I don't particularly want faster....

Couldn't get LM to work. Tried a few times but just sat there when I released the brake. Must be doing something wrong. I will say however, the car seems to have a noticeable increase in power with the battery at max.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a problem with Auto Pilot. I disengaged then tried to re-engage but couldn't, even though the AP icon was active. Solved by stopping, putting into P then D and trying again.
Also AP posts initial current speed limit + 3, but does not limit speed to new lower posted limit in residential zones, and if you increase the limit from the original posted + 3, the car will go to the higher limit. That's not my interpretation of the upgrade notes.
I don't think the restrictions quoted are working in Australia. I got the auto steering icon on roads that were wholly inappropriate for it.

Anyone notice that if you enable drivers door unlocking only, the charge port does not unlock from the charge cable? Real nuisance and, i am sure easily fixed with a software update. Unlocking the drivers door should allow the charge cable to release.

Electrons are passengers too. So I'm not sure it's a bug as it's consistent by that definition :)

Not a bug. Just a stupid feature change that needs reversing.
As it was, I used to do a bit of a dance, walking towards the front passenger side to get the handles to present and then backtracking to,the charge port to unplug. It is a whole different ball game now. No likee...

Whilst as a techno nerd I want every feature possible in my Model S, realistically Summon, whilst VERY cool, is not really much use to me as I have a curved parth into our garage, and it won't (as yet) handle that. Aside from that I'd rather get out of the car in the garage than in my driveway. Just me... I know others with tight garages might be different, but I'd say they are in the minority at a guess.

Hopefully by the time the functionality is more useful Tesla will have overcome the regulatory rubbish.
I also enjoy departing in my garage, but can think of 3 conveniences (not life essentials) that I would use it for;
Getting into the car at the shops when some fool parks too close.
Moving the car 1.5 metres during cleaning of the wheels so that I can see all the spokes.
Moving the cars back within my garage when I want to use my bench.
Moving the car back 2m in my office garage when passenges want to get in (column in the way), and of course parking it 2m further in after we all get out.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes noticed that this morning. It's somewhat odd.

Summon, as it is now, will sell more cars in Australia. It's cute, and a great talking point.

Tesla should lead in getting these issues sorted, because people are associating wins like auto steer with their brand. They've earned it, they just need to deliver that hard last mile.

Speaking of which - used auto steer today after 7.1 update and it hunted so badly I had to turn it off.
After a few more uses it seemed to calm down and eventually became quite useful.

Agreed. It is more "twitchy" than before, I find. Instead of smoothing out kinks in the lane markings, it follows them slavishly.

I have a "traffic calming" chicane that I pass every day. Before, the car could handle the first turn, but not the second. Now it doesn't even handle the first.

It also goes rather close to the kerb for my comfort (though I would have to say this is better than closer to other cars, as sometimes happened before).

It is also more likely to try to dive into right turn lanes when the lane divides.

Yesterday, the car was so twitchy the the person behind probably thought I was driving drunk, as the car was weaving so much.

Last edited: